Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-11, 10:09 AM   #1
Donutman
BassFishin.Com Member

Welcome Mike! You've found one really cool website.
I think it was about three weeks ago I finished my trailer. Had a blast doing it, and learned a lot. Wish I'd had the chance to sand blast and powder coat my trailer. I bet it holds up a LOT better than paint.
I wire brushed mine down to bare metal, primed it, replaced the hubs and bearings, replaced the fenders, fixed a couple of welds here and there, re-primed it again. Dad helped me get started in painting it. Put on 4 coats of paint and then topped it off with a glossy Krylon. Over kill, maybe. But I want this to last a while. I also put 2 coats of rubberized undercoating under the new fenders and on the leaf springs. I replaced the wooden side steps with 1/2" plastic HDPE cutting board material. Bought a 4' x 2' piece and cut it down to size. Carpeted those in gray, used Monel staples, installed with stainless hardware. Replaced all the (nylon locking) nuts, bolts and washers with stainless for that matter. Thought I would try some of those Ultimate Bunk Boards after hearing all the rave reviews about them. Cut them down to size, angled and smoothed out all the edges so as not to catch any rivets. Set them on the bunk brackets (not bolted on yet) and with in 2 days, they had warped 2 inches just sitting there. That just wasn't going to work. Before I heard back from the guy at UBB, I went and bought a couple of treated 2x6x12's and put them under the UBB's for support. Not a fan of those Ultimate Bunk Boards.
Time to switch the trailers. Blocked up the stern of the boat with jack stands and 2x6's for support. Put a tow strap under the bow and had a fork lift raise it up. Pulled out the old trailer and tried to slide the new one in. New trailer sits a lot higher than the old one, so we ended up having to winch the new trailer under the boat. All in all, it worked out all right. Readjusted all the bunks for a superb fit and it was almost ready for travel. Couldn't figure out how to hang the wires for the lights so I ended up using some self adhesive wire hangers. So far, they work very well. Made one last run through and checked all fasteners,locked down the boat and went fishing that day.

I'll have to get a picture of the finished rig in it's entirety. Post it up as soon as I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Painting.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	477.4 KB
ID:	6829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Painted.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	477.7 KB
ID:	6830   Click image for larger version

Name:	BunkBoards.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	486.2 KB
ID:	6831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Almost done.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	580.1 KB
ID:	6832  
Donutman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.