Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-09, 11:29 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Revo S VS the Shimano Citica

Here I was all set to buy another Revo this week and now I'm not so sure. I've always been a Garcia man when it came to casting reels. I do have a couple others including a Shimano Tournament 1000 I bought back in 1979 which still works great. But the past couple days I've heard some very possitive things about the Citica which actually is 10$ cheeper than the Revo S. It sounds like a heck of a reel. I've not had a chance to check out the newly designed Citicas which are lighter and smaller from what I hear. So before I head to BPS, I was wondering if there was anyone here who has used both, and if so how do you think they compare?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-09, 11:37 PM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've used the Citica. It's a decent reel for 120 bucks. Casts great (although I'm mostly fishing jigs), but could be smoother. I think it's only got like 4 bearings. Shimano supposedly uses better bearing than others, but I don't think they do in the lower end reel. But I've never used the Revo S, or even the SX, so I can't compare.

BB
Old 07-14-09, 12:41 AM   #3
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I own both and find that both of them are fairly equal in quality.
The revo feels less cheap in my hand, but the citica will outcast it.
Both reels are about 6 months old and have each landed fish greater than 6 lbs with no problem. The Citica is easier to open and adjust breaks.
For me, the Citica was more likely to backlash. I had to add an extra set of breaks on the Citica for general casting . This was after using the same line, same rod, and same bait. The citica did perform better with baits less than 3/16 oz.
I ended up using the revo S as a general reel and using the Citica for pitching into spots where I don't need braid.

I don't think that either will disappoint you. I will say that if my range is around $120, I will get another revo S. I bought my citica because it was on sale for $92.

Last edited by cassidyta; 07-14-09 at 12:47 AM.
cassidyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 08:24 AM   #4
Bassboss

I did a poll on this a long time ago, the revo S beat the citica. But I also did the same thing on 2 other forums... there the citica won! Looks like we got a revo crowd here!

I'm doing a poll on an other forum now, all the reels in that price range, here's a link! http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fis....0;viewResults

here's the link to my thread here: http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=19636
Old 07-14-09, 06:03 PM   #5
keithdog

That was interresting Basboss. It seems it's pretty evenly split. Probably can't go wrong with either reel. I guess I'm going to have to put one of each on a rod and see how each feels in my hands.
Old 07-14-09, 08:51 PM   #6
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
That was interresting Basboss. It seems it's pretty evenly split. Probably can't go wrong with either reel. I guess I'm going to have to put one of each on a rod and see how each feels in my hands.
Yup, very close indeed! I think I would go with the citica just cuz of how you access the breaks, but other wise, in the 120-130 buck range, I would go with the tierra!
Old 07-14-09, 10:04 PM   #7
bassinbob

Does anyone own both the old model Citca and new? What differences do you notice besides cosmetics?
Old 07-14-09, 10:38 PM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Does anyone own both the old model Citca and new? What differences do you notice besides cosmetics?
You can check out tackle tour, they've reviewed a lot of the citica's. I know kevin like them!
Old 07-15-09, 03:02 PM   #9
Raul

Quote:
Completely different animals in ever single aspect ( size, overall measurements, weight, height, just to name a few ), the only things they share in common are the name and that both are baitcasting reels.

You want me to go more "in depth" with the differences ?
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 04:35 PM   #10
bassinbob

Yes Raul, if you wouldn't mind.
Old 07-15-09, 04:56 PM   #11
JB

Hey Bob

Limited experience with the revo other than I grabbed one of Korys at Ky Lake and checked it out one day camping, never have thrown one but 100 percent of ppl I read about that own them swear by them, not one major complaint.
The citica I can give you some info, I've had two since mid 90's , one got stolen at Ky lake marina one night and ordered a new one as soon as I got home. I've fished with that same reel fourteen years now, never once had any problems with it. I tear them down and clean an lube maybe once a year. I've picked up the citicas at tackle stores and it feels pretty much the same to me, its about the same price I paid for mine, I've almost always just flipped with mine, however over the years its thrown every kind of lure out there and did OK.
I set two brakes on and the four off on just about all my reels. I free spool the citica for flipping and mostly pitching, have a few over runs but its my thumbs fault LOL.
I'd said you probably cant go wrong with either of them, my only ignorance is that I can't tell you if the gears are cheaper in my old citica compared to todays, someone on here probably knows.
I'll get a revo someday, I've only known about them for a year, and really dont need a 8th baitcaster to carry around , YET..Rofl

On the other hand, you don't hear a whole lot of guys keep and use the same reel a LOT for fourteen years, if they make them today like mine older ones I cant see why a citica cant fill the bill
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 09:14 PM   #12
keithdog

Well, I bought the Revo tonight. Comparing them side by side, I just felt the Citica seemed more cheaply made. The Revo felt more solid and everything seemed to worked better mechanically. The first thing that tipped me off was that the Citica had a cheap black plastic thumb bar. Not so in the Revo. I'm thinking, whats underneith I can't see? Spin the handles and there is no comparison. The Revo was much smoother. Now these are just my opinions. I've never fished with a Citica and untill I do I can only make judgments based on handling them together. But the Revo definately felt much more solid and more fluid than the Citica.
Old 07-16-09, 12:06 AM   #13
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
I do. The new one blows the old one away in weight and size. I think it feels a bit smoother and casts pretty much Identically, although the old citica had some use on it when I got the new one.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 09:53 AM   #14
woody

The Revo wins in the Drag Power Rating too, at 24lbs., compared to the Citica, 11lbs.

~mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 09:56 AM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
The Revo wins in the Drag Power Rating too, at 24lbs., compared to the Citica, 11lbs.

~mark
Ya, that's a great drag max for sure! But do you really need 24LBS of drag for bass? Oh well... still a great confidence thing! And Keith, make sure you loosen the drag after every outing.... 24lbs of drag on a reel can really dish out a beating on reel after a week of it stuck there!
Old 07-16-09, 05:58 PM   #16
keithdog

Well, it's never set at 24 boss, lol. In fact, I make a practice of loosening the drag on all my reels at the end of the day.
Old 07-20-09, 08:22 PM   #17
basskickerz_cuz
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to basskickerz_cuz Send a message via Yahoo to basskickerz_cuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Spin the handles and there is no comparison. The Revo was much smoother..... But the Revo definately felt much more solid and more fluid than the Citica.
Revo's in general are very smooth the S is a great reel for the price but I haven't used a Citica yet but i have heard of the spool loosening and tightening itself. In my opinion I would get the S, because I haven't heard about any major problems with it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.