Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-09, 09:24 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Bought a Revo but......

I bought a Revo tonight but I have to tell ya, that BPS Pro Qualifier casting reel was very impressive. I was looking over the Revo S and the salesman told me I should look at the Pro Qualifier first. I'm thinking yeah right, the guy just wants to sell a BPS reel. Maybe so, but when I did look at the Pro Qualifier I was very impressed. I had owned a Revo S before and loved it. But it ended up in the bottom of the lake and so I was out to replace it. I love my Revos, but that Pro Qualifier really had me thinking twice about which one to get. For $99.00 it's a heck of a reel. If anyone is thinking about getting into baitcasting and does not want to start out with a $200.00 reel, I would strongly suggest you take a look at the BPS Pro QUalifier. Very smooth and solidly built. It has a lot to offer.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 09:52 PM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

My dad bought the Rick Clunn reel, but the pro qualifier feels better on display. Never fished with the pro q. though so I can't compare how they fish.

BB
Old 07-15-09, 09:53 PM   #3
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

just ordered another revo s myself literally 10 seconds ago. lol

you cant beat a revo for the money
Old 07-15-09, 10:37 PM   #4
keithdog

I hear ya spro, I'm a Revo man myself. But dang, I'll betcha I end up with one of those Pro Qualifiers before years end, lol.
Old 07-15-09, 10:58 PM   #5
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

I own two pro qualifiers 711 ratio ... there both used for flippin and such ...very nice. I bought the first one and had a reel go up on me. I was happy enough with the first to by a second.
Old 07-16-09, 03:31 PM   #6
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My only concern for house reels is they change so often. Granted, they will probably last a good few seasons, but what can you do in say 4-5 years when you're going to need parts and your particular model went through 3-4 design changes since you bought it?

Maybe it's a non-issue, but this is a showstopper for me that I can't seem to get over. Granted, I tend to think too much.
Old 07-16-09, 05:49 PM   #7
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
My only concern for house reels is they change so often. Granted, they will probably last a good few seasons, but what can you do in say 4-5 years when you're going to need parts and your particular model went through 3-4 design changes since you bought it?

Maybe it's a non-issue, but this is a showstopper for me that I can't seem to get over. Granted, I tend to think too much.
Seems to me the same thing holds true for name brands. Seems they are always comming out with new improved versions. But yeah, store brand reels seem to change annually. I would think that if you bought a BPS or Cabelas brand reel they would have the parts to repair their reels.
Old 07-16-09, 09:01 PM   #8
bassackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

just got one the other day haven't used it yet but works great in the yard was flipen a small jig with it like it was nothing very adjustable
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 09:04 PM   #9
keithdog

Easy teardown for cleaning also.
Old 07-16-09, 10:15 PM   #10
bigjim

hmmm. ive been debating on getting a baitcast set-up,(will be my first) and wasnt sure if i should buy rod/reel separately or get a combo, i like the idea of getting each separately cause then i can get a little bit better of a reel and choose the kind of rod i want as well.

like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.,but is it possible to get a baitcast combo thats decent for under $100?.. i know im probably opening a can of worms w/ that question. after all it is my first baitcaster & money is a little tight so maybe i dont need to go all out on my first 1

1 more thing.. does it matter which side i get the handle on or is it all preference? im right handed, but getting the handle on the right side means im gonna have to switch hands after i cast, which seems like kind of a pain.. just been using spinning gear for so long and ive always retrieved w/ my left & casted w/ my right

Last edited by bigjim; 07-16-09 at 10:33 PM.
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 11:37 PM   #11
bassackwards

just my 2 cents for the first one don't spend to much. you might no like them, a bps extreme with one of there lower end rods M or MH would be fine or event go to your nearest pawn shop and see what they got
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 11:45 PM   #12
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
hmmm. ive been debating on getting a baitcast set-up,(will be my first) and wasnt sure if i should buy rod/reel separately or get a combo, i like the idea of getting each separately cause then i can get a little bit better of a reel and choose the kind of rod i want as well.

like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.,but is it possible to get a baitcast combo thats decent for under $100?.. i know im probably opening a can of worms w/ that question. after all it is my first baitcaster & money is a little tight so maybe i dont need to go all out on my first 1

1 more thing.. does it matter which side i get the handle on or is it all preference? im right handed, but getting the handle on the right side means im gonna have to switch hands after i cast, which seems like kind of a pain.. just been using spinning gear for so long and ive always retrieved w/ my left & casted w/ my right
Thats going to be a tough one bigjim. I'm not saying you can't find a decent baitcast combo for under $100.00 but it will take some looking. I don't know if you have a BPS you can travel to, but the store near us always has combos assembled and on the floor for sale at a discount price. The catalog has the Extreme baitcaster combo listed for $159.00 and that is a VERY decent combo. There are a lot of guys in these forums who use the BPS Extreme reels and love them. I have two Extreme rods and I am very very happy with them. That would be a tough combo to beat. But I am sure there are other combos out there even less in price. Just get on line to BPS, Cabelas and others and see what kind of deals they are offering. There are some decent rods out there that sell for $50.00 or so and there are several guys who like the Garcia Black Max and Silver Max casting reels which are very fairly priced. As for getting a baitcaster with a left hand retrieve, thats really up to you and how much you like it. What I mean is this. I'm right handed too and I bought a left hand retrieve baitcaster for the same reason you mentioned. It's quicker to the draw so to speak when it comes to making your retrieve. My problem though was I never ever felt comfortable using it. The left hand retrieve was always awkward for me. I had trouble especially retrieving left handed at high speeds. And I too have used spinning tackle for many years with left hand retrieve. But for some reason, a baitcaster in left hand retrieve drove me nuts. But if you can do it comfortably, it's the best way to go.
Old 07-17-09, 12:08 AM   #13
bigjim

thanks Keithdog, I have a Cabelas less than 10 minutes from the house. looks like im gonna head there this weekend
Old 07-17-09, 01:04 AM   #14
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Jim,

Since your profile lists you in a large city, I would suggest checking craigslist for a combo. You should be able to find a decent setup in your price range. While it won't be new, the current economy means that there is more and more gear being sold.
Since you are new to baitcasters, I woudl suggest that you simply look for obvious defects and then also see how the reel feels in your hands. Is it smooth on the retrieve, does it make any loud clicks or a grinding sound. I always suggest finding an an ad and then researching the model on-line to see how it rates.
Old 07-17-09, 03:17 PM   #15
bigjim

Cassidyta, thanks for the tip, i should know better.LOL ,once i saw your Craigslist mention, i pretty much said to myself DUHHHH!!! ,Wake Up JIM!!! LMAO
Old 07-20-09, 07:38 PM   #16
basskickerz_cuz
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to basskickerz_cuz Send a message via Yahoo to basskickerz_cuz

Well I just bought a Revo STX and put it on a 7ft XH Carrot Stix, and so far I have been very pleased with the results. As far as the pro qualifier my cousin has 8 of them for various set ups and I wouldn't mind having a couple of them myself, they are a very smooth casting reel for the price.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.