Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-08, 01:04 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Oddness

I was practicing casting today with my Viento. I've got 15lb P-Line Fluorocarbon on it. We'll I screwed up and got a pretty bad backlash

After having to cut the majority of my line off, I just tied the new line to what was left on my reel. Anyways, when I went back out to cast I had accidentally turned my magnetic brake off when I was fooling with the backlash and I got another one. I was able to get it out though. I kept casting until I noticed like a tag end of line on my spool. I pulled off line until I got to a spot where my line was broken on my spool.

I've never had this happen and I was wondering what could have caused this, or if it was just a defect in the line. Has this ever happened to any of you?

BB

P.S. The cut was clean, no abbrasion or wear. I could understand if the line was beat up and then broke while undoing the backlash, but It was brand new line and not worn.
Old 03-15-08, 01:24 PM   #2
JB

while you were cutting out the birdnest, your knife or scissors clipped some line deep in the spool..its happened to most of us one time or nuther lol
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-08, 01:26 PM   #3
Rebbasser

It has happened to me. Why? The backlash caused a kink in the line which caused it to break.
Old 03-15-08, 02:26 PM   #4
zooker

welcome to the wonderful world of using floro. and the excate reason i don't use it.. the halo i used would splinter when it broke..

i am much happier with mono..

zooker
Old 03-15-08, 04:07 PM   #5
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

First off, don't practice unless with your good line., unless it is in water. Second, tie all new on if you have to cut-out a backlash. You never know when you will 'overcut' the nest.

-Lunk-
Old 03-15-08, 04:30 PM   #6
torelaxandenjoy
BassFishin.Com Member

Hi BB sorry to hear about the birds nest, but in a way I amm glad to hear that pros also get bird nests.
torelaxandenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 12:19 PM   #7
bassnman30

Wink Back lashes

The easiest way to remove your backlash is to place your thumb on the spool and crank it. You may have to crank it a time or two but it works.
I have used it on deep backlashes and the results are good 90% of the time.
Old 03-16-08, 06:08 PM   #8
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bassnman, I've used that tip, too. You're right, it does work. Have you been able to pull off that trick with braids and superlines? The worst birds nests I get are with those two lines. Sometimes the mess is so bad I've just had to cut away all that expensive line.

-Pig
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 08:41 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by torelaxandenjoy View Post
Hi BB sorry to hear about the birds nest, but in a way I amm glad to hear that pros also get bird nests.
I'm far from pro. I just started using baitcasters last summer.

BB
Old 03-16-08, 09:57 PM   #10
Bob Smith

I have to go with Zook on this one. I have spooled a number of reels with a number different brands of flouro and just haven't had any good luck with the stuff. It works great as a leader, IMHO, but I cannot seem to get past the mysterious line breaks to get my confidence level up. I cast off a Bandit 300 the other evening for no really good reason! That sucker sailed off into the Georgia pines never to be seen again!
Old 03-16-08, 10:38 PM   #11
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I run floro on acouple of my bait casters with out any problems really. When using mono, I go sometimes get really bad back lashes that cuts the line.
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 08:26 PM   #12
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
I have to go with Zook on this one. I have spooled a number of reels with a number different brands of flouro and just haven't had any good luck with the stuff. It works great as a leader, IMHO, but I cannot seem to get past the mysterious line breaks to get my confidence level up. I cast off a Bandit 300 the other evening for no really good reason! That sucker sailed off into the Georgia pines never to be seen again!
bobber
i lost a handful of custom made spinnerbaits-$17 each- during a tourny because the stuff breaks. it was breaking in the spool on a casting rod i was using 17 pound halo p-line floro.. i'll be danged ifin i will use the stuff again..after the last one went sailin with 30 feet of line on it i yanked the reel poped on a differant reel loaded with mono and fished 4 more hours -and 5 fish later- with the same blade.

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.