Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-09, 05:16 PM   #1
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default The Crappy Boat Saga Continues

Hey guys, just bought me a 12 foot aluminum boat for 80 bucks haha, and I plan on throwin my 4.5 on the back. This is actually my favorite POS jonboat so far lol, I;m currently replacing the transom, but here's my question.
She's got some rivet leaks, which I siliconed, but that didn't do anything. Now I keep seein people say that they use spray on bedliner or undercoating, and I'm just gettin yalls input. I appreciate it.
Nick
Old 10-22-09, 07:20 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hoseman, in my opinion only here ok? But IF it were me I would get a riveter and use a LARGER rivet in the old ones place. That should help with the problem.
Old 10-22-09, 07:44 PM   #3
nofearengineer

Bama's right. Just drill out the bad rivets and put new ones in.
Old 10-22-09, 09:46 PM   #4
flfireman

Spray on bedliner does work, use it on the inside. On the outside grind them down and use JB Weld. Should work for awhile.
Old 10-22-09, 10:41 PM   #5
flbassman

Thanks guys!
Only problem is that the bad rivets are under the bench seats, and I really don't feel like pullin those out.... But if that needs to be done, I could turn this into a bigger project than i was planning on it being.
Old 10-25-09, 12:50 AM   #6
bassinbob

I have a Starcraft with rivets. Everytime one leaks I use JB weld. Haven't had them releak. I do carry some small screws in my tackle bag incase of a leak when out on the water. Just push out the rivet and screw in the slightly oversize screw until able to fix right. That has saved the day for me a couple of times.
Old 11-09-09, 12:05 PM   #7
granite
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Use "Lexcel" sealant

I had the same problem with my POS jonboat, had many loose rivets when I bought it. I drilled out as many rivets as I could and replaced them with stainless bolts (pan head, head on outside of hull) with a rubber washer under a stainless washer under the bolt head, with a glob of Lexel on the hull/hole before tightening it up with a washer and nylon stop nut on the inside. Yeah, I know, long after the rest of the boat is gone these bolts will still be there! More to your problem, on the ones I couldn't reach I just smeared Lexcel on the outside of the rivet, trying to work it in and around the rivet head as much as possible. I have never had a leak in ANY of these rivets since, and it's been about 5 years! This is in a 1972 Sears jon boat that sits outside, hull side up, exposed to the northern New Hampshire elements 12 months a year! I haven't seen Lexel in any of the usual local stores, but you should be able to find it online. It's amazing stuff. Looks like clear silicone but it sticks to ANYTHING, will cure underwater, flexes and lasts forever. (note/edit: product is spelled Lexel, misspelled in title, can't edit)

Last edited by granite; 11-09-09 at 12:14 PM. Reason: misspelled lexel
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-09, 03:26 PM   #8
Wellstt

I have the same issue with a 12' v bottom however the keel at the bow is also worn down. Anyone had any luck with a keel guard preventing leaks assuming I don't put much effort into sealing up the keel?
Old 11-11-09, 07:29 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Using your keel guard to stop leaks is kind of like using a butter knife to turn screws...it might sort of work, and it might even be worth it if your access to proper repair materials/budget is limited, but I'd still keep my eye out for that screwdriver.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.