Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-08, 11:16 PM   #1
basskickerz_cuz
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to basskickerz_cuz Send a message via Yahoo to basskickerz_cuz
Default Small Rivers and Creeks

Anyone have any suggestions about what equipment to use in a creek or small river in the upcoming season? I see fish all the time but I can't get them to bite.
Old 01-25-08, 11:20 PM   #2
basskicker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

guess i wont be any help since ive been to the ones by your house with you. he is talking about the more rapidly flowing part of the rivers and creeks where the water is clear and cold.
Old 01-25-08, 11:52 PM   #3
barkelypup

Default Use Small Jigs and grubs

I would suggest long casts because more than likely you are spooking fish and use bitsy jigs or somthing similar. Also there is a bait from Cabin Creek lures called a salty spider and they are great creek river lures. Not sure how far out they go but if you can get your hands on some I would try them. Only good for maybe 2 or 3 fish but that will be 2 or 3 bites.

bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-08, 12:04 AM   #4
basskicker

i have a creek by my house to, but i dont have the problem he does. if i see a fish in the creek by my house it can be caught but out at his house they wont even look at your lure and they just set there. these are smallmouth between 1 and 4 lbs.
Old 01-26-08, 05:57 PM   #5
ROBZILLA
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The idea here is to sneak up on them, sand on th bank where the sun shines on, you don't want to cast a shadow into the water your finishing in. Cast on 45 degree angles up and down stream give you more element of surprise! move slow and quiet around the banks, don't stomp your feet the can feel it in the water. try to cast 6 feet back from the side your fishing so they can't see you, try hiding behind a tree to give you cover. You can get waders and walk up stream to fish. Always giving you clear water to fish in. Fly fishermen do this allot.remember fish in steams can hide anywhere and can be in the spots less thought of. hope this might help you out. I fish streams allot if you have any other questions PM me.
Old 01-26-08, 06:50 PM   #6
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

get a short and i mean short (5) ft stick and spinning gear, light...
throw a bettlespin in black and yellow, or any 2 inch power grub, or a small tube. Also a mini buzzbait 1/4 ounce in summer,, think small and look for edys that the fish hang near to watch whats comming downstream to ambush.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.