Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-08, 10:26 AM   #1
robertmee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Good economical spincast for Ugly - Cat fishing

We have a small place on lake Gaston, and I'd like to outfit it with some additional tackle for guests. We're up on the north end, so cat fishing is strong and something that the occasional fisher will enjoy and doesn't need alot of talent to catch. For the money, the basic medium action Ugly seems to be a good fit for Rod. What would be a decent but still economical spincast to pair with it. Something I could pick up at Dick's, Walmart, Target, et al. I don't want to go totally crap disposable, as I might use the setup myself.

Thanks!

Last edited by robertmee; 07-27-08 at 10:42 AM.
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 10:42 AM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

the ugly stick should be fine but i would go medium/heavy or heavy action and pair it with a decent spinning reel. If it's only gonna be for guests to use you might just look at a rod/reel combo pack for them to use , something from rhino, or one of the ugly stick combos .
Old 07-27-08, 10:45 AM   #3
robertmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
the ugly stick should be fine but i would go medium/heavy or heavy action and pair it with a decent spinning reel. If it's only gonna be for guests to use you might just look at a rod/reel combo pack for them to use , something from rhino, or one of the ugly stick combos .
Thanks for the info, Jim...

I already have one of the stiks (birthday present). It is the medium/heavy 7'. For the price, I was going to pick up a second one, and then a couple of reels. I'll check the combos, but in that I already have one stik, I'd probably need to pickup just a reel. As I edited my original post, I don't want it to be total junk as at least one of them will serve as a secondary setup for myself for cat fishing.
Old 07-27-08, 10:50 AM   #4
Jim80

Reel wise , Mitchell , Quantum and shimano have a few decently priced spinning reels that should be more than alright for want you want to do with it and they should be on the shelves of any of the stores you mentioned
Old 07-27-08, 12:05 PM   #5
robertmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
Reel wise , Mitchell , Quantum and shimano have a few decently priced spinning reels that should be more than alright for want you want to do with it and they should be on the shelves of any of the stores you mentioned
Thanks again for the help!
Old 07-27-08, 01:10 PM   #6
pignjig

If you go the spincast route, there are guys who fish for striper and flatheads on Smith Mountain lake with Zebco 606s. They're a pretty sturdy reel for under $20 and easy to use.
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 01:54 PM   #7
robertmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pignjig View Post
If you go the spincast route, there are guys who fish for striper and flatheads on Smith Mountain lake with Zebco 606s. They're a pretty sturdy reel for under $20 and easy to use.
Great! I'll look into them. I'm not opposed to going spinning, but I figured for the occassional duffer, spincast would be easier to cast/manage.
Old 07-28-08, 11:02 AM   #8
Bmuskin

I am starting to become a fan of the Okuma spinning reels. They seem to be a pretty good reel for the money.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 01:47 PM   #9
robertmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmuskin View Post
I am starting to become a fan of the Okuma spinning reels. They seem to be a pretty good reel for the money.
Something like the IT-45?

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=2793530
Old 07-28-08, 03:13 PM   #10
Bmuskin

I have this one and have been really impressed. I got it on clearence at Dicks
Attached Images

Old 07-28-08, 03:45 PM   #11
robertmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmuskin View Post
I have this one and have been really impressed. I got it on clearence at Dicks
I saw that one but was concerned about the comments that the drag stops functioning if you get the reel wet. Plus, they don't seem to be as large as I would need for 12 to 14lb line for cat fishing.
Old 07-28-08, 04:21 PM   #12
Bmuskin

ewww didn't see that one about the drag. I have had no issues yet. I have 20 lb. braided on this and had it on a ugly stick. I just switched to a Fenwick HMG I got at a yard sale for 20.00. Works great for bass may be a little light for cats. Maybe channel and bullheads a big blue would smoke it though. It is smooth and casts a mile.
Old 07-28-08, 06:02 PM   #13
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

seriously i use this reel in salt water just a hair bigger than the standard bass spinning reel. but i have caught and landed a 50 pound cobia and several old red drums with it..

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...333&hasJS=true

mine is the eb65 btw..

zooker
Old 07-28-08, 09:35 PM   #14
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

For your own spincast reel you might want to look into the Daiwa Gold Cast reels. They are very high quality as far as spincast reels go. They cost more, but are a very nice reel to use. I think you would enjoy using one. I talked my brother into buying one a few years ago and he absolutely loves that reel. I'd definately go with the larger model GC120
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 10:31 PM   #15
Fishnngolfn

BPS and Wally world have an UglyCat setup for $19.99. I bought this since I wanted a setup exclusively for catfishing but didn't want to spend a lot of money. It worked great for me the few times I have used it. I hooked a nice 5 pound cat a few weeks ago at a private catfish pond and a 7 pound soft shell turtle at the river. I was able to man handle both to the shore without a problem. I changed out the line that came with the setup to 20 lb mono from Suffix. The only thing is the rod tip doesn't glow like advertised on the label but I don't care about that too much. If you don't do a lot of catfishing, you can't beat this setup for the price.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 12:50 PM   #16
Abbeysdad

Check out the Shakespear Tiger rod/reel combo at WM for under $20 ! It is just what your looking for and I dare you to beat the price.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.