Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-08, 08:27 PM   #26
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've fished for Pike for many years and I would have to say my favorite lure hands down is a large bucktail inline spinner like a No. 5 Mepps. My dad LOVED that lure for pike and believe me, he caught plenty. He used the white bucktail with a silver blade. Called it "Whitey". I also use white tandem spinnerbaits where weeds would foul up an inline spinner. A large jointed minnow plug like a size 11 jointed Rapalla is also a great pike bait. A large walley will hit that as well. And a silver Johnson Spoon with a red Uncle Josh pork strip is always a killer bait for pike. And don't forget the Daredevel spoon either.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 06:34 AM   #27
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I get more pike than bass with flukes and other soft jerkbaits.
Old 08-22-08, 01:54 PM   #28
Cire
BassFishin.Com Member

Pike hit similar lures to Bass. We fish them the same way up here in MN. During the summer the bigger Northern run deeper. Currently up to 18" (hammer handles) are in the shallows (down to 6 foot), up to 36" in the middle (10-15 foot) and I haven't located the huge ones yet.

Currently my go to bait is a Rapala lipless crank. Just last Saturday, cranking from 10 foot to 20 foot, I caught 3 Northern (32" was the biggest), 2 Bass and 1 Walleye.

I have heard that the way to get the huge ones is to use large sucker minnows on a bobber where a creek or river enters the lake but you have to be out really early, already setup and fishing at the crack of dawn.

Going to try the sucker minnows sometime here shortly and see what we find.

Cire
Cire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 08:51 PM   #29
Showda
BassFishin.Com Member

I went pike fishing for my first time this evening. I boated one pike about 25" or so. Not a big pike, but I was just thrilled to catch one my first time out.
Showda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 08:25 AM   #30
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Nice man glad to hear that you got one on your first trip out , how did ya like the teeth that sucker had
Old 08-24-08, 09:17 AM   #31
Showda
BassFishin.Com Member

No chance im gonna lip one like a bass. I understand now why steel leaders are a good idea.
Showda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 10:04 AM   #32
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I caught a 21 inch chain pickerel which is the pikes smaller cousin yesterday morning and when he came out of the water his f***ing teeth cut my line , I was only using 12lb mono as we were fishing for bass but it was a suprise catch .
Old 08-25-08, 04:18 PM   #33
Snake2715
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Also try Bucktails

/\ This

Also grab a smaller gill or even a tasty perch and throw it on a bigger bobber later at night. Cast it out and let it do its work... the bobber will move with the gill/perch on it... then you will eventually see the bobber get nervous as there will be a bigger fish in the area after an easy meal..

Once that bobber goes down give it 20 seconds or so, sometimes it will go downa nd pop bcak up... wait for it to go down again and then set that hook. This will catch bass, and dogfish, but its a very popular way of catching pike and musky.
Old 08-25-08, 04:48 PM   #34
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Showda, after I got my first musky two weekends ago, we decided to take a trip to BPs and get a pair of lip grips. We purchased the Berkley ones with the 30lb digital scale. If you're going to fish for pike regularly, I'd absolutely suggest a set of these. Ours was middle of the road price wise, but you can get a less expensive pair (BPS brand, like $25) or go to the Boga Grips (start at $120). i did not get to really old my first musky (23.5lbs) cause I had to take the pics (I know, I'll get them soon) But my second, caught the next day, (10.75lbs) I used the lip grips. Best thing for those toothy guys. (see my fishing report "Just a Feeling" for the pic with the lip grips.

BB
Old 08-25-08, 06:54 PM   #35
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
I was told there are pike in Lake Purdy in Alabama.
Do some purdy girls hang out there? (He asked, hopefully.)

L6

PeeYess: Another helpful tip re fishing for Pike...DO NOT LIP THEM!
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 07:53 PM   #36
bamabassman

yes l6 they sure are purdy girls there. fishing is good as well.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.