Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-10, 10:02 AM   #1
Bass4Ever_PA
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Question about customizing

Hi all,

New here to BassFishin and just picked up a 14' SeaMaid(no trailer) for free from a friend of mine and I Am looking to do some major customizing after I completely sand down and repair a couple cracks in the deck.

I was reading a thread from another member here about his customizing and someone made mention of customizing boats less then 36" wide for standing/fishing. I am not sure where the 36" is that this member made mention of whether it was bow, stern or middle. My boat measurements from outside edge to outside edge are as follows:

Bow - 37"
Middle - 43 1/2"
Stern - 38 1/2"

These measurements are at rear of benches.

Would I be safe in customizing it as I want to add flooring and a whole upper deck system.

Sorry for the newb questions

Will post pics when I get them.

Thanks Much in Advance for your help.

BTW Glad I found this site, many customized options and ideas have sprung into my head since browsing around. Wife is going to love me for this as I can't leave things alone, lol.
Bass4Ever_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 10:51 AM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

never say oyu're sorry about a question pal. no such thing s a dumb one, just a dumb asnwer. now a little more details are needed for a good run of help. when oyu measured the areas, was it at the top or at the bottom? this will help the gang help you. the more details you can provide, the more the gang can help oyu out. i ain't no expert on restoration. but there are quite a few guys her that can and will help oyu out. good luck and post as many pics of this as you can ok? we LOVE to see rebuilds.
Old 07-11-10, 11:46 AM   #3
WTL

Instead of a mark where above it is considered safe or below it unsafe, its really a matter of preference, your confidence in your own balance, ect.

If you are younger and are fit and balanced, Id say go ahead. Dont walk down the boat like you are walking on concrete and you will be fine.

Generally, I think you can put a deck in it with those dimensions. Yea it will be a little tippy, but I have seen boats that made me wonder how the occupants lived - your idea doesn't push it like some have.

(I have only ever fallen once in my boat, breaking a fly rod, and that was cause the rope snapped on the TM and I fell backwards onto a pile of rods. )
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 12:58 PM   #4
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Really depends. I'd be a little cautious going too high with the decking in something so narrow. The only reason I say this is that I've been in a 14' Jon with high decks, and I never felt comfortable standing up. It was borderline too high for even sitting.

My duck boat is a 16' V with a beam of 65". I put flooring in it to fish some smaller waters, but I kept it nice and low. It handles very good with the low floor.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 12:59 PM   #5
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Also if you haven't - you may join Tinboats.net

There are a ton of boat customizations over there!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 02:52 PM   #6
Bass4Ever_PA
BassFishin.Com Member

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments on this project boat of mine.

In answer to bamabassman about the dimensions. The dimensions are actually taken from the top of the boat. The newb questions, Sorry , but this is all new to me as it is my first boat and feel kinda newbish with the questions I have, but won't mention "newbs" and more promise, lol

In reference to some of the other comments about the standing and fishing, I myself would rather sit and fish (not being lazy either, lol), but I know a portion of time it isn't always practical to do so or some instances may require standing rather then sitting. I am not that old but far from young but still have a pretty good self balance. When creating the decking I may only go up about 1/2 way with some of the decking. Don't know yet. Alot of thinking is going to have to go into this project boat and see what I come up with. Have found other project boats and have great ideas now with what I can do with this

To CamG, Just signed up with Tinboats.net earlier this morningand that is an awesome site too. Alot of information.

Have pics uploaded to my Profile Gallery and will update as things progress...
Old 07-11-10, 03:23 PM   #7
bamabassman

keep us posted on your progress buddy. can't wait to see em.
Old 07-11-10, 03:41 PM   #8
Bass4Ever_PA
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
keep us posted on your progress buddy. can't wait to see em.
Sure will and thanks for the info. Have pics uploaded to gallery but awaiting moderator approval I guess

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.