Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-10, 09:42 AM   #1
bobbygib
BassFishin.Com Member

Default prop question

Hi guys,
New to the forum and a first time bass boat owner. Pretty familiar with bass boats, many of my buds have them but this is the first bass boat I have owned. Picked up an older Stratos (88) in great shape for a song. Has an Evinrude XP 150 motor. Runs great. But the prop shows a little age/use and I was thinking of getting another while I have this one reworked. It has a Raker on it now. My buddies tell me it might be a good idea to get an alumunum prop as a spare. So I'm thinking I'd like to get an alumunum with the same pitch etc. as my Raker. All the trial and error for this boat was done by the former owner, the boat gets on plane and drives/rides fine. No need to change characterisitics of the prop as far as I can tell. So my question is, the only numbers/lettering I see on the prop are stamped into the side. One side reads "Raker" (Duh!) the other "R77L" . Done some searches for this number and can't find much. I guess the pitch etc. info will be on the inside hub?
Thanks in advance for your wisdom guys. This forum is awesome!

Bobby G
bobbygib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-10, 10:09 AM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I found a random prop image online to illustrate my point...Make sure you don't see any number on the inside of the prop. There "should" be some numbers stamped there, but maybe not.

To get the same performance out of an aluminum prop, you usually need to go up 2 pitches. So if your stainless is a 24p, you need a 26p aluminum. The aluminum flexes more, so it decreases performance. But if you just want it as an emergency "get back to the launch" prop, I wouldn't really worry about that so much.
Old 07-22-10, 09:13 AM   #3
bobbygib
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks MississippiBoy,

Took the nut and washer off last night and right there was the number " 14 1/2 X 22, 394754" , same as the one in the pic you posted!

So if i understand you correctly, if I were to get an aluminum prop with pretty much the same performance chacteristics of my current SS prop, I need to get a 14 1/2 X 24?

Thanks again,

Bobby G
Old 07-22-10, 09:22 AM   #4
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Your prop and the image I found online by typing "prop" into Google image search are the exact same prop? Wow, how crazy is that?
But yes, that is my understanding about stainless vs. aluminum. You'll never get the SAME performance out of an aluminum because it flexes more than stainless, but that's kind of the rule of thumb. You might want to double check me, maybe ask the same question on bbcboards.net...there's a lot of knowledgeable people there.
Old 07-22-10, 09:42 AM   #5
bobbygib
BassFishin.Com Member

Tell me about it! How wierd is that? I guess a 150 evindude is a pretty common motor huh?

But anyway, all I'm really concerned about is maintaining the boat's ability to plane as quickly as it does with the current prop. It's jumps on plane pretty quicky, and believe it or not, the boat is screamin fast too! I've had it mid sixties... with more RPM's left. Call me a wussy...but way more speed than I need. In fact with the wife in there, she won't tolerate that speed anyway, and....if Momma ain't happy...ain't nobody happy.
So what I mean is the current prop is apparently the accurate prop for all around performance, wisdom tells me the importance of having a spare prop, so I was just looking for a decent spare, and one that I can use while i have this one re worked.

Thanks again MississippiBoy,

Bobby G

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.