Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-10, 11:47 AM   #1
GregK9
BassFishin.Com Member

Default GPS Fishfinders - external vs internal antennas

Any preference here? I'm assuming the external would get better reception, no?
GregK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-10, 12:02 PM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think it depends on what one you get. The new Lowrance HDS units have internal but are at the front of the unit and work great. Plug and go. With the external you have to drill a hole in your boat, one opps and you now have two... You also need to have it run to an additional power switch. I have and external and had the dealer install and it still drops every now and then. If I did go with a new one I would get an internal antenna and RAM mount it.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 01:58 AM   #3
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Due to technology, the internal antennas have less reception problems than they had in the past. I installed a stand alone Lowrance GPS unit with an external antenna a few years back on my Skeeter. Wasn't really looking for an external ant unit specifically, but caught it on sale. Mounted the ant stern side, as close to over the transducer for the console sounder as I could get. Some say that's a plus (being able to get GPS & depth criteria within inches of one another) but I'm not convinced it matters all that much when you're talking about a Bass rigs length (or half of it). The internal/external antenna issue is a matter of personal preference IMO. I doubt you would see much difference in performance from one to the other.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 09:53 AM   #4
lilmule

I own one of each made by the same company hummingbird,have mounted both at one time and could view each.
The external finds a satalite quicker in my case,the internal is nifty as no extra wiring,can actually be mounted on a board with a power connector plug in and made portable did this for friend who had no chip where im at.
Accuracy the external hands down,internal when sitting at the dock has me sitting on land 100 ft away next to the weigh in stand.
So while the external accuracy is 50 ft the internal more like 100.
I end up using the internal more than the external for the simple reason its so easy to mount in a new ride-lack of all that wiring-the 50 ft difference is the price one pays but to me well worth it.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 02:08 PM   #5
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Internal antennae are more convenient, that much is undisputable.
However, I feel external antennae are better for other reasons:

You can put the antenna where the transducer is (the transom, usually). I know the accuracy of GPS is much debated. However, I don't see how you could fault the logic of putting the antenna closer to the transducer.

If the external antenna goes bad, you only have to replace the antenna. With an internal, you'll need to send it in to the manufacturer to have them work on it....if you want to keep your warranty intact.

Along these same lines...if a new, better antenna comes out, you can switch it much more easily.

I think the best of both worlds is to have both options available. After all, on the internal models, you can usually select an external antenna from the programmed menus. That way, if one goes bad, you're not "flying blind".
Old 07-15-10, 08:09 PM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
You can put the antenna where the transducer is (the transom, usually). I know the accuracy of GPS is much debated. However, I don't see how you could fault the logic of putting the antenna closer to the transducer.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

If you have an internal antenna what you see on the depthfinder is going to be however far from the unit as the transducer. In my case the unit is about 8 feet from the transducer.

In some situations that 8 feet can make the difference between catching and not catching fish.
Old 07-16-10, 08:59 AM   #7
lilmule

Actually I run both,one at console with transom sonar other at front deck,with a sidefinder on troller,so can actually straddle a ledge or break and show both views on each side of it.
Marked on each gps unit one for stopping the boat other for pinpoint accuracy in combination with the depth finder up front,as all are off a bit.
Only favorites are done this way,or id have a screen full of waypoints,mob etc.
Now if I can just get someone to explain those views to me chock full of fish sometimes but bet they aint bass always.I do however love pulling up and seeing clouds of baitfish below its a wait it out game then but it happens.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.