Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-12, 08:36 PM   #1
fredee12
BassFishin.Com Member

Default fishin reels.

hi, im a casual fisher, and i currently have 2 reels. i have the abu garcia black max, and an abu garcia 4600. i just got the 4600 cause alot of people recommended it. they say its a good reel and will last forever. im havin trouble with it, i have tried every thing from messin with the brakes on it, using differant line and i just cant seem to get it, it back lashes all the time. Im considering returning it and getting another reel that is not the barrel style, cause it just not confortable in my hand and i just can get it. is there any real advantage in this reel compared to the style like the black max. im not wanting to spend much more than 100 bucks since i dont fish alot. thanks
fredee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-12, 10:53 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

First off, welcome to the forums. I have 2 4600C3 Abu reels that I used for many years. They are very good reels that hold up well to hard use and have excellent drags. They don't have all the bells and whistles that the newer low profile reels do however, and require more practice to become proficiant with. I retired both of my 4600 reels. Not because of any reliability issues, but rather, I have small hands and found the low profile reels much easier to use. But I won't part with my 4600 Abu reels. They will still get used from time to time. If you do decide to go with another reel, I highly suggest the Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier baitcast reel. You won't find a better reel for $99.00! In fact, the internals are pretty much exact with the more expensive Garcia Revos.
Old 07-15-12, 11:11 PM   #3
fredee12
BassFishin.Com Member

alright, thanks for the help, i was looking at the revos, and academy has the revo orra sx for 99 bucks. i was thinking of tryin that one, ill take a look the one you recommened, theres not a bass pro shop anywere close to me.
Old 07-15-12, 11:13 PM   #4
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Not sure what 4600 you have, assuming it's one of the newer ones, it should have 6 pin internal centrifugal brake system. Have you accessed those brakes and set them?
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-12, 11:19 PM   #5
fredee12
BassFishin.Com Member

yea, its the 4600 c3, i have messed around with the 6 brake pins. im not the best at using these reals, but i do fine with my cheap low profile real. i also have fairly small hands, and that may be causing some of my problem.
Old 07-15-12, 11:44 PM   #6
fredee12
BassFishin.Com Member

i didnt relize it, but the orra reel i was looking at isnt a revo. but i like the bps reel that keith recommended. can anybody tell me about the orra sx reel. i think im gonna decide between these two. the bps reel looks promising though
Old 07-16-12, 09:53 PM   #7
fredee12
BassFishin.Com Member

i found a new revo s for the same price as the pro qualifier. what do yall think would be the best bet? thanks for all the help.
Old 07-16-12, 10:00 PM   #8
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Most people will probably tell you to get the Revo and I won't disagree but............If you've got a 100 budget you might want to look at the Lew's Speed Spool. I lucked into a couple of them for real cheap and thought they'd be good for spares or let guests use them. Come to find out they're actually pretty nice little reals, especially for throwing anything @ 3/8 ths or more.
Old 07-16-12, 10:24 PM   #9
fredee12
BassFishin.Com Member

i found a revo s for 100 bucks with free shipping, so i think im gonna go with that. iv never used any of the revo reels, but i see alot of talk about them on this forum, so they must be pretty good.
Old 07-16-12, 10:26 PM   #10
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Since Garcia is redesigning the Revo I have seen places selling the Revo S for $99. If I was looking for a reel under $100 that is what I would look real hard at.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-12, 11:59 PM   #11
fredee12
BassFishin.Com Member

i got the revo s, and havnt takin it to the lake yet, but i really like it so far, threw it a few times in the yard and it feels better then any other reel i ever used, thanks everyone for the help.
Old 07-22-12, 08:23 AM   #12
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If your garcia is still making birds nests when tossed try tightening the bearing end cap on the handle side a tad.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 09:24 AM   #13
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

When I used to have a 600, they weren't the best at throwing lighter baits.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.