Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-08, 10:32 AM   #1
wargoth
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Rod vs. reel

OK, funds are limited, and I have to buy each seperately, and several months apart. Now my question is which would you guys say would be a better situation:

A good reel on a budget rod, or a budget reel on a good rod?

The rods and reels I have now are not terrible, I just want to start upgrading to serious gear, as I am getting serious about fishing for bass. So, which is the bigger key to performance, the rod or the reel?
Old 02-19-08, 12:18 PM   #2
Fish2win

You dont really have to spend that much to get something decent. Try Berkley for great budget priced rods and Shamano for great reals at any price range they offer.Fish2win
Old 02-19-08, 12:43 PM   #3
Fish4food
BassFishin.Com Member

It seems that when ever I see this subject come up, there is a slight majority that goes with the rod as being the item to invest a little more in. My take is, right now there are a lot of sales going on, or coming up, so buying a higher end rod or reel, at a low cost, is very possible. From there you can get the other later.

I've been through the whole spectrum of both rods and reels. Well, at least from $10 rods to Loomis IMX/GLX rods and $10 reels to $250 reels. I have, and would rather have, more rod than reel. Others will say the reel. It's an opinion thing. Some prefer to have the operation of higher end reels, and some want the feel and sensitivity of higher end rods. Go with what works for you.
Fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 01:36 PM   #4
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I´d rather have a good reel on a killer rod than the other way around.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 03:26 PM   #5
wargoth

I think I need to clarify here, I am asking which should I purchase first. I have midgrade stuff right now, and can use new stuff with it. I am wanting to upgrade to serious gear, but need to do so little by little, as I cannot afford to drop $300-$400 at a pop, but can manage $150 or so here and there. I am after NICE gear, just can't afford it all at once.

So, which comes first the rod or the reel?
Old 02-19-08, 04:03 PM   #6
Raul

You don´t need to clarify, it´s us who have to, if you are going to purchase something then get the most important part first and the consesus is that the rod is by far more important than the reel so ..... get the rod first.

I´d rather have a GLoomis IMX and a Daiwa Procaster 6+1 sitting on it than having a Calais DC sitting on a Lightning Rod.

If 150 is what you have then the best bang for the buck in that price line is the StCroix Avid.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 04:35 PM   #7
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

The low-end Avids start at about $160. These are the short, light-duty models. I would try the Premier series...

But getting to the point.... I'd rather have a good rod and a budget reel, (unless it's a BC, then I'd save and get good both. Cheaper BC reels seem to be just that - cheap!). You're never gonna feel the bites with the reel, so why spend too much if you don't have to? (unless it BC of course. I'm really anal about cheap BC's).

-Lunk-
Old 02-19-08, 05:51 PM   #8
Frank C
BassFishin.Com Member

Are you looking for a bait cast reel or spinning? Shimano has a great deal going on right know on some of there casting reels. The clarus is a nice rod for the mony and with a life time warranty. As for spinnig reels the sahara is a nice reel also. I would buy what ever is on sale right now.

hope this helps

Frank
Frank C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 06:08 PM   #9
Jigger

It's a question of degree. If the reel is so bad that it backlashes, drag sticks, won't cast far enough or something like that then definitely get a good reel first. I can adequately fish with a decent reel and a sub par rod but not the other way around. But if your talking about moving up from decent quality rods and reels to the really high end stuff then I agree with the others, go with the high end rod first. Personally though I don't think you need to spend more than a hundred bucks or so on either a rod or a reel to get good enough rods or reels to do the job. I fish Falcon original series rods and Abu C3 and C4 reels (I'll be switching now to an Abu Revo after buying my first and really liking it) and I don't think a high end Shimano or a GLoomis rod would make me a better fisherman and I've owned both. I'd rather spend my money on gas and get on the water more. That's what'll make you a better fisherman.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 06:47 PM   #10
barkelypup

I used to be the guy who had to have the 200 buck reel on a 50 dollar rod. Then my buddy whom I tourney fish with was kicking my tale in practice using pretty much the same technique and I asked him to let me try one of his high dollar rods. That was all it took for me to change my thinking. Now I'm not saying that 5 star equipment makes the fisherman better, but it does help at least a little. Biggest thing is being able to find the fish. I accually just got a 59 dollar Shimano Coriolis from Wal Mart for 25 bucks and I will put it on a $125 bass pro extreme multi purpose rod for use as a back up. I am excited to try it out tonight in the garage.

bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 06:47 PM   #11
Fish2win

There is a lot of wisdom in what Jigger says, I own a couple of Loomis, several custom mades, A new Shamano and couple of Setzers. All with Corados. I also have several Lightning rods. A couple of Fenwicks and a host of Team Diawas. I guess I am wrong but I really dont see that there is a big difference between a 250.00 Setzer or a 200 Loomis and $125,00 Diawa or a $35.00 Lightning rod. The name of the game is sensitivity, castability and fish playing action. I do see why I buy Shamano"s or Abu Garcias because if I buy a cheap $79.00 reel that brakes and I have to replace it then I have the price of a good reel invested in 2 cheap reels.I really believe most of this stuff is made to catch fishermen not fish and that you should buy what you are personally comfortable with. Berkley has become a very inexpensive rod. They moved to Mexico and really dropped there prices. You can buy a Lightning rod blank with titanium guides and a persian Cork handle in a 6'6" length for $100.00. It is one of the lightest rods on the market and is very sensitive. You can also buy the same spec rod from Setzer for $250. The only advantage is the Setzer is made in America by Americans. Instead of Mexico by Mexicans or somewhere in Asia by kids making .10 per hour.
Abu Garcia Ambassador reels are not smooth,they are heavey and they are noisey. They also rarely brake. I have some that I bought in the 1970's. They still work well. The new style Shamanos are much more precision. The fish really dont care so buy what you feel comfortable with. Fish2win
Old 02-19-08, 07:07 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i would buy the reel first. reason being, usually a reel will give out and break before a rod does. if you buy the reel first and then one of your other reels breaks you will have a replacement for it. if none of your reels break then you will still have a new reel whenever you get the rod.
Old 02-19-08, 09:37 PM   #13
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkelypup View Post
I used to be the guy who had to have the 200 buck reel on a 50 dollar rod. Then my buddy whom I tourney fish with was kicking my tale in practice using pretty much the same technique and I asked him to let me try one of his high dollar rods. That was all it took for me to change my thinking. Now I'm not saying that 5 star equipment makes the fisherman better, but it does help at least a little. Biggest thing is being able to find the fish. I accually just got a 59 dollar Shimano Coriolis from Wal Mart for 25 bucks and I will put it on a $125 bass pro extreme multi purpose rod for use as a back up. I am excited to try it out tonight in the garage.

bP
Wise, wise words...

The combo will not make the fisherman better, but it sure as hell does help! I'm always being ragged on for owning numerous $350+ rod/reel set-ups (). Why do I spend this much? Simple. Quality...

Enough said...

-Lunk-

Pea Yess -- Hope your new combo strives for you, BP! My Falcon Low Rider 6'10'' should be here Thursday. Hope to put a reel on it in the next week, or later. It all depends upon when I get a spare $150 for the reel. Or more.....
Old 02-19-08, 10:43 PM   #14
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I personally would spend more for a quality reel then worry about paying $200 for a rod. If I had money coming out of my ears then maybe I would have Loomis rods and Diawa Steez reels but I can do just fine with BPS Extreme combo's and such. It's more the man behind the rod/reel than the equipment itself in my opinion (at least to an extent).
Old 02-19-08, 11:34 PM   #15
Rebbasser

I'd say it depends on what you have now. If you have a decent reel go with a quality rod, but you don't need to break the bank for good gear. I have several BPS Extreme reels on Falcon Low Rider rods that are in the price range you are looking at I have have used hard for years and they are still going strong.
Old 02-20-08, 12:04 AM   #16
keithdog

I would give greater importance to the rod first. While a reel that will handle the type of fishing you want to do is important, it's the quality of the rod which will determine how you feel the lure, the subtle strike, the lake bottom structure and so on. It's the quality rod that will give you a good hook set and to a large degree allow you to properly tire out a fish along with the reels drag. If cost is a big issue, then get that quality reel first. However, I have to agree with the above in saying there are some great combo deals comming out soon. Keep an eye on those BPS adds.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-08, 12:24 AM   #17
wargoth

Looks like I am probably going to go for the rod first. I have some semi-decent reels, and semi-decent rods too, so I think at this point a good rod will do me better than a good reel.

Thanks for the input guys.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.