Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-09, 05:00 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Heated discussion

Okay,

Politics, religion, and abortion aside,

I will bring up this hot button topic once more since it was on cnn today.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
Old 07-07-09, 06:20 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have always disliked the BCS system. While it often is probably pretty close to being accurate, there have been many times when most college football fans would totally dissagree with a BCS ranking and bowl pairings. Anti-trust or not I don't know. What I do believe is that the only fair way to get a real champion is through a playoff system. And the right to burn a ref at the stake for a blown call that hands the game winning ball over to the team that didn't deserve it.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 06:45 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I have always disliked the BCS system. While it often is probably pretty close to being accurate, there have been many times when most college football fans would totally dissagree with a BCS ranking and bowl pairings. Anti-trust or not I don't know. What I do believe is that the only fair way to get a real champion is through a playoff system. And the right to burn a ref at the stake for a blown call that hands the game winning ball over to the team that didn't deserve it.
i agree 100% with a playoff system. i honestly haven't put a lot of thought into how one would work, but to me that is the only way of having no doubt if the best 2 teams in the nation are playing for the title. but depending on how teams would get to the playoff you could still have the same arguements about a team that got left out of the playoffs but beat this team head to head or any of the other arguements that we get into over the bcs as it is now.
Old 07-07-09, 11:38 PM   #4
bamabassman

play off is the only way to go..............PERIOD.
Old 07-08-09, 07:59 AM   #5
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
play off is the only way to go..............PERIOD.
Bama your right on. BCS is the only major college or pro sport with out a playoff system.

Last edited by bcklash; 07-08-09 at 11:12 AM.
bcklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 09:38 AM   #6
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I am in agreement that the BCS is junk and a playoff is the only good way to go. As far as the debate with who got in and who didn't, that will always happen unless every team in the country is in and that is not practical. College basketball has 65 teams (including the "play in" game) in the tourney. Teams 66, 67, 68, 69 and 70 whine and cry every year about not getting in. There will always be a team or two that thought they should be in the playoffs. My advise to them is to work harder next year and win more games.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-09, 02:44 AM   #7
WTL

Instead of replying directly, you can use the search feature to find out why I disagree with the idea of a college football playoff.
Old 07-09-09, 09:48 AM   #8
nofearengineer

A playoff system seems to work out fine for college basketball and baseball. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for football.
Old 07-09-09, 05:37 PM   #9
bamabassman

ok, i need to kinda detail my playoff response here...... we need a playoff like in division II. not a bcs playoff not some "form" of a playoff. a for real playoff. just like in every other type of sport and in every other form of sports.
Old 07-09-09, 07:57 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Remember, a playoff system won't be perfect. There will always be flaws. However, the problem with the current system that most people complain about is...it doesn't really show who the real champion is.

Well, even a system where they picked the top 16 teams, and those teams played a 4-week single elimination tournament would certainly crown the rightful champion. It's not like someone id going to come up and sy "hey! my <insert no. 17 ranked team here> were really the best team!"

That would make for 15 post-season games. How many bowl games are there currently?

Last edited by nofearengineer; 07-09-09 at 07:59 PM. Reason: added information
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 12:35 AM   #11
WTL

I would accept a plus 1 or 4 team finals just because I am afraid the playoffs are popular enough among the masses that they might occur in a more destructive (8 or 16 team) format.

Everyone needs to do serious cost benefit analysis. Monkeying around with college football rules has more unintended consequences than most people realize.
Old 07-10-09, 09:54 AM   #12
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I would accept a plus 1 or 4 team finals just because I am afraid the playoffs are popular enough among the masses that they might occur in a more destructive (8 or 16 team) format.

Everyone needs to do serious cost benefit analysis. Monkeying around with college football rules has more unintended consequences than most people realize.
The "cost-benefit analysis" is why I suggested a 16 team tourney, WTL. It gives us 15 games for the sponsors to fight over the rights to, and the colleges/towns could bid for the rights to host the games as well, just like the Super Bowl is currently done.

If I were a collegiate football player, nothing would be as anti-climactic as playing in the "X" Bowl, knowing it wasn't for the National Title. Every Bowl that isn't for the title is just about sponsorship money. Now if I was a player (or even a fan!) for a number 10 ranked school, and I had a shot, however small, at the national title, that would be the most exciting time of my life.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.