Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-05, 11:16 PM   #1
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Guide Poles on Trailers

Do any of you have those pole on the sides of your trailers? I rebuilt the carbureators on my engine today and got it in the water for the first time. I had a little trouble loading it since I couldn't see the trailer underwater. Maybe there is another easier way to load since this is my first power boat so any advice would be appreciated.
BTW I can weld some tubes on as guides with no troulbe since I work at a machine building shop. So cost is no factor in this since it is free.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-05, 12:29 AM   #2
Nitro911
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If you couldn't see your trailer, you were probably backed in too deep. Either that or you have some nasty water to fish in.

I used to have some on my bay boat to help with loading when it was windy.
Old 10-03-05, 12:34 AM   #3
Bender

I have to load by myself so it is hard to get everything right. I think I will weld on some tubing.
Also, what kind of batteries does everybody use? I have one Duralast deep cycle but I need another for starting the motor.
Old 10-03-05, 11:45 AM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Yes get them added IMO. Most folks who have a Bassboat, and trailer power load it, so the trailer isn't submerged fully. I have a smaller boat, and a runabout, and I don't power load either. Make sure you get them mounted pretty close to the edge of the loaded boat. If not you can still sway back and forth, and not be loaded correctly after pulling the boat out of the water. I mounted some on both my trailers and they help. But the design wasn't very good, so I still have some swaying at the back end which is a real pain in the neck(you know what I wanted to say there). If you power load it, don't waste your time, just don't pull the trailer down as far as Nitro said.

Lizards
Old 10-03-05, 02:01 PM   #5
Bender

Power loading is illegal here in MI (everybody I know that has a bass boat does anyway) but I would really rather not so I don't tear up the launch. When I went in yesterday by myself some guy was getting ready to go out and for no reason he started grilling me about if I was going to power load. I tried to be polite but I don't know why he was so worked up. This was my first time ever putting in and taking out any boat by myself and the first time for me ever in this boat. The hand crank brings it up the rollers pretty easily so I don't think I need to power load unless I am in a hurry.
I will make up some poles with rollers or bumpers for the sides.
Old 10-03-05, 04:35 PM   #6
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Yeah they really help especially with a bigger boat. I know this is gonna be big for you guys but we have a 20 foot Trophy w/a and we definently sp? need it. Especially on a really windy day with a lot of current.

Chris
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-05, 10:01 PM   #7
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
Power loading is illegal here in MI (everybody I know that has a bass boat does anyway) but I would really rather not so I don't tear up the launch. When I went in yesterday by myself some guy was getting ready to go out and for no reason he started grilling me about if I was going to power load. I tried to be polite but I don't know why he was so worked up. This was my first time ever putting in and taking out any boat by myself and the first time for me ever in this boat. The hand crank brings it up the rollers pretty easily so I don't think I need to power load unless I am in a hurry.
I will make up some poles with rollers or bumpers for the sides.
Just as you stated, folks do it anyways, and every single guy I have been out in a Bassboat with does it. If the manufacturers would just mount them on the trailer in the first place, and tell folks not to POWER load then more folks probably would not. But I bet a whole bunch of them will regardless of the law or how the trailer is set up. Sometimes you just can't teach folks some common sense. But one day when they run to hard up, and rip the hook or bend the trailer they may change there minds.

Edit: After futher thoughts about this I thought it only fair to also state that it takes more attention and skill to load it without power loading. You have got to make sure you aren't flying up the trailer You definately have to watch your speed when loading.

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 10-03-05 at 10:11 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-05, 11:49 PM   #8
Rebbasser

I never have power loaded mine. The way my luck runs I'd run it up over the stop into the bed of my truck . I ease it on the trailer and crank it on.

Only problem is that this past Saturday I was loading in the dark, backed in too far, and did not notice until I got home the left side of the boat is resting on the fender-no damage or anything, just not sitting on the trailer correctly. I need to take it back to the lake and float it off and reposition it.
Old 10-04-05, 05:42 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
I never have power loaded mine. The way my luck runs I'd run it up over the stop into the bed of my truck . I ease it on the trailer and crank it on.

Only problem is that this past Saturday I was loading in the dark, backed in too far, and did not notice until I got home the left side of the boat is resting on the fender-no damage or anything, just not sitting on the trailer correctly. I need to take it back to the lake and float it off and reposition it.
Now if they made the trailers with the guide poles that wouldn't have been an issue. I did the same thing, and it took 4 of us to move my 18 foot runabout over about 6 inches I noticed it at the restaurant we stopped at on the way home from the lake.

Lizards
Old 10-04-05, 06:55 PM   #10
Rebbasser

Good point, Lizards. I'm just going to take it up to the lake, let it float off and reposition it. Much easier than lifting it off since it weighs a ton-literally.
Old 10-06-05, 09:08 PM   #11
WTL

Quote:
One thing I like about my small boat is that when that happens, I can just reposition it myself. I have a V and the way I've set everything up, I just hit the gas a little and point the bow towards the V, I hit it right pretty much every time and it positions the boat normally just where I need it. Most of the time I don't even have to winch it up more than and inch or 2. But I realize that you suckers with the 35,000$ rigs arent accustomed to the same luxuries I am afforded by my boat.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.