Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-10, 06:26 AM   #1
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Small Stream Strategy

So there is a small stream i used to play in as a kid and remember seeing bas in there before. But i found out recently that a childhood friend of mine found a spot where he caught a couple 2 lbers out of it... so i thought i would give wading it a try since it is close, and something different to do.

Question is how do you go about catching these fish? The water is 6"-3' deep with a pretty good current and is Gin clear. Full canopy overhead... meaning no shady spots (its all shaded) and no chance of an overhand cast. Would craws be their main forage here?
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 08:09 AM   #2
riverfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

I grew up on a creek up here in Ny called Schoharie Creek awesome SMB fishing. In my opinion if they are in that spot they will be all over the creek. I would look for deep holes and eddys and I would also fish the shallow slow water just outside the current. Im sure your creek has crawdads but I would also look to see if the creek also has Hellgramiate's (dobsons) just flip some rocks to find'em they are killer for creek SMB. http://www.reactionbaits.com/detail.aspx?ID=92

When I hit my creeks I never leave home without small spinnerbaits, small cranks, roostertails, mepps spinners, shakey head worms, small jigs and chug bugs or your favorite top water bait. Basically I would throw everything and explore the creek!! I might have to give the boat a break this weekend and hit the creek its been a while!!
riverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 09:14 AM   #3
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I totally agree with riverfisher. Look for the deeper pools...the larger fish will be there. Any type spinnerbait should be good,
Old 08-11-10, 09:40 AM   #4
Krtismo
BassFishin.Com Member

Based on all of the river snorkeling I've done. The LMB are never in the open current and are usually under laydowns, root, or overhangs. If there is a deep pool where the current is slower, that would probably hold some too.

Also, if the water is clear, you're going to have to be sneaky! Make sure you don't wade downstream, they'll see you coming!
Krtismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 10:14 AM   #5
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you wade the creek, I've found the most comfortable outfit for wading is a pair of cotton pants tucked in at the socks....keeps the minnows from pecking at your legs and driving you crazy.....think they're after the salt. Anyhow, I stumbled on wading shoes by taking an old pair of tennis shoes and gluing on carpet. You trace the shoe on the carpet backing and make the toes about three inches longer than the shoe so the toes, when glued on will come up and over the toe, protecting your feet when bumping into rocks. I used a plush carpet and it works the best.

Put an ample amount of Liquid Nails on the carpet backing and then apply the shoes....I then used rag strips to hold the carpet on and to the toe to keep the curve over the toe bent until drying. The carpet shoes are quieter than lugs, cheaper than felt, and soft when walking the road or bank.....they hold on slippery rocks very well.

A lot of good advice on this thread.....be sure to include a few rebel craws and a couple Rapala black and silver...white belly S 7 Floaters too.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 06:03 PM   #6
JigNgrub1997
BassFishin.Com Member

I've fished creeks similar to your and NEVER had luck.. until one day I started throwing a single-tailed grub! The simple, single-tailed grub in a 2 or 3" size (the thicker ones not the puny panfish ones) rigged on a 1/8oz jig-head for that kind of water, retrieved slow as possible close to the bottom will bring up big Largemouth, Smallmouth, & Crappie. I've only caught LMB, but I've witnessed Crappie & Smallmouth caught the same way.

The Berkley Powergrubs would be a good option. I use the color "Pumpkin Pepper" in the Mann's grub (hard to find, Cabela's used to have the color but they discontinued to them, only way to get them now is from Mann's directly) in a 2 or 3" size. Simple round-ball jig heads are what I use.

After a rain I've also had luck with a 6" black w/ firetail Plastic Worm, Texas-rigged with a 1/16oz weight in a shallow pond. Another small water Bass lure I've used and had success with is the Rooster Tail in the 1/8oz size. I like the chartreuse Rooster Tails' with the gold blade.
JigNgrub1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 12:33 AM   #7
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've been thinking about your situation and came up with an idea. Why not put that pretty good currant to good use. Those bass are going to as well, by watching to see what that currant floats down stream to them. Try using spinning tackle and tie on a floating minnow type bait like a #7 original Rapala or other floating minnow type bait. Toss it out and start feeding out line to let the currant take the bait downstream. Use a controlled drift and give the lure a twitch twitch now and then to simulate a minnow struggling in the currant. Or tie on a 5 inch plastic worm weightless and toss that down stream and let the currant do it's magic. If you use your imagination you can come up with several ways to use the currant for other types of baits as well.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 12:52 AM   #8
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I fish a similar creek on a regular basis when I don' want to or have the time to take the boat out. A Zoom Watermelon Candy Shakey Tail worm has been extremely productive for for me in this creek. Rig it with a 1/0 hook and a 1/8 sinker hasn't missed yet.
Old 08-13-10, 08:12 AM   #9
3dkicker

Minnows, craws, and bugs are main forage for these fish. Match the hatch and you'll be good. 6' med action spinning rod with 6-8lb test line should work. Work the deeper holes and work up stream making long casts but light entry into the water. Some of the smaller creeks I've fished over the years have been much better than most lakes, quality and quantity.
Old 08-13-10, 11:54 AM   #10
66KingFisher

I grew up fishin a stream like you discribed, and one of the best lures we used was a short little red worm that came pre-rigged with two hooks, and had a couple of beads and a prop on one end.....I don't recall who made it, but it was a fish catchin lure in those clear water streams.....you'll catch alot of panfish on it also......Also don't overlook those little spinners made by Mepps, and Roostertail....those work great too.
Old 08-13-10, 02:11 PM   #11
walkeraviator

So i am gonna go let teh monkey spend a little... gonna get a couple inline spinners... i already have a small spinner bait and tiney buzzbait. also got some small rebel craw cranks.. gonna try some soft plastics t-rigged and shakey head jig... gonna try small tubes, beaver style baits, and gonna give a 4" green pumpkin yum dinger weightless t-rig a try... let teh curent push it along as it sinks

this will probably happen on one of my days off next week.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 04:57 PM   #12
3dkicker

Kingfish - Creme makes the worm you describe. They came in a couple colors. Nightcrawler and Purple were the two we used. Did best on Purple on small ponds. They still make them. I've got a few from back in the day.
Old 08-15-10, 08:25 PM   #13
TN_Bassin

Zoom fluke, Pearl or glimmer blue. Candy for those small stream fish. Also a Horney toad or a Ribbit frog works well.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.