Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-08, 11:50 PM   #1
Robbie R.
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Weird accidents while fishing.

I got the idea for this topic while writing about reel adjustments a few minutes ago and thought it would be a fun topic.

I'll start with a funny one.......

A buddy and I were fishing in the same boat at opposite ends of the boat.......he was turned towards the rear and cast and I turned towards the front and cast.

Neither he nor I knew our lures has "kissed" each other while in mid air limbo behind us...........we both made a whopper of a cast and we both heard a weird high speed whirring noise coming from our reels..........we looked down and after a moment of silence turned and looked at each other and after a few choice words.......realized we in deep doooooo.

Both our reel spools were as big as our hats..........there was no hope at all for this mess.

We both spent the next 30 minutes at least carefully cutting line one strand at a time out of our reels until we got to the bottom........no line left on either spool.

We figured the RPMs of our spools turning after lures made contact and both 6 ft. rods were cast to be somewhere in the area of 100,000.........

(I just realized this might be in the wrong place.....sorry, mods feel free to move it if you want.)

Last edited by Robbie R.; 07-02-08 at 12:19 AM.
Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 12:33 PM   #2
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

yeah i'd put it in non fishing talk.. or gen. disscussion pretty funny though
Old 07-02-08, 05:38 PM   #3
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie R. View Post
We figured the RPMs of our spools turning after lures made contact and both 6 ft. rods were cast to be somewhere in the area of 100,000.........

This makes absolutely no sense. Your rods went in the water?
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 10:06 PM   #4
javelinbill
BassFishin.Com Member

Default mean spinnerbait

me and two friends in a 17 ft boat.me on the front one in the middle and one on the back. the one in the back was throwing a spinnerbait. he kept hitting the guy in the middle in the head when he would cast. of coarse the one in the middle would have a few words to throw at him every time he did it. well that went on for a little while than all of a sudden the guy in the middle yelled out you !!!!!!!!*&*&^%&&. he didnt get hooked but i swair when he reeled in his spinnerbait there was a big wad of hair on it. i thought i would die right there,, this is a true storie..........
javelinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 10:25 PM   #5
Fishbear
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbear

My ex? father in law and I loved to sturgeon fish on the Columbia River in SW Washington.

We used like 12/0 hooks tied with 75 lb. nylon braid. The leaders were only a few inches long, and we hand tied our own. He had a bad habit of using his teeth to help cinch the knot down. Well, he put a 12/0 hook thru his upper lip. I was laughing so hard, that I could do nothing to help him for about 10 min. I eventually got under control and cut the barbed point off, and pulled it out for him. Man, never knew a lip would bleed like that.
Old 07-03-08, 12:26 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinbill View Post
me and two friends in a 17 ft boat.me on the front one in the middle and one on the back. the one in the back was throwing a spinnerbait. he kept hitting the guy in the middle in the head when he would cast. of coarse the one in the middle would have a few words to throw at him every time he did it. well that went on for a little while than all of a sudden the guy in the middle yelled out you !!!!!!!!*&*&^%&&. he didnt get hooked but i swair when he reeled in his spinnerbait there was a big wad of hair on it. i thought i would die right there,, this is a true storie..........

i took a buzzbait accross the bridge of my nose once in pretty much the same situation. did not feel good at all.
Old 07-03-08, 09:28 AM   #7
Fishnngolfn

I was pulling on a hung up spinner bait. I thought the line was going to break before the lure came loose. Boy I was wrong. The lure came loose and I somehow managed to dodge the missile. It went past me under a tent and onto a hot grill will steaks and fish cooking on it. The lure was melted and burned but luckily the food was not. It scared the daylights out of my friend who was doing the cooking.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 10:14 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
I was pulling on a hung up spinner bait. I thought the line was going to break before the lure came loose. Boy I was wrong. The lure came loose and I somehow managed to dodge the missile. It went past me under a tent and onto a hot grill will steaks and fish cooking on it. The lure was melted and burned but luckily the food was not. It scared the daylights out of my friend who was doing the cooking.

That's funny right there.

BB
Old 07-03-08, 06:13 PM   #9
Bob Smith

I fishing my favorite C-rig rod a couple years ago on Lake O the Pines (East Texas), a 7' 6" custom rod. I had my normal 4' leader behind a 3/4oz Brass Pro-Jo weight. When making my cast I normally reel the weight up withing a few inches of the rod tip. On this particular cast, I thought I had done that, buuuut. When I made my cast I felt very sharp thud on the back of my head as that 3/4 oz brass weight bounced off my noggin. MY buddy saw the whole thing. He told me on my back drop I somehow let the spool slip under my thumb dropping our about 3-4' of line. He stepped back went I let her fly and watched that weight go straight for the back of my head! Man that hurt! I got instant thumbsized knot right smack in the middle of the back of my head.
Old 07-04-08, 07:54 PM   #10
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Buzz Wing caught a bass once, so rumor has it. I'd call that an accident...wouldn't yew?

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 09:31 AM   #11
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 12:06 AM   #12
keithdog

When I was 16, our family had taken a fishing trip for vacation to Big Thunder Lake in Minn. They have a large horseshoe shaped dock at that particular resort, with a 3X5 foot bait box built onto the side of the dock for storing minnows in which they sold. Also at the resort was a girl who I was somewhat attracted to. Ok, more than somewhat, I was hooked line and sinker. Anyways, one day I saw this girl out sunning herself on the dock, so naturally I felt I should head out there with my fishing rod and show her what a great fisherman I am. My brothers were already out there fishing and I wasn't going to be shown up by them. So there I was talking to this girl and casting away. I should have been paying more attention however to what I was doing. While in mid conversation, I took one misstep backwards and off the pier I went and landed back first right into the minnow box. Only my hands, feet and head were sticking out the top of the box. Needless to say I didn't feel quite as studdly as before with this girl laughing herself to tears. Along with my brothers who thought I looked pretty good stuck in that minnow box and were not in any hurry to help pry me out. That no doubt was probably the most embarrassing moment of my life.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 02:50 PM   #13
1FASTLASER

I usually keep this one under my hat but hey we are family here. Most of you know my love for fishing the frogs.....scum frogs,bronze eye frogs, whatever as long as its a frog in the slop. Well 2 years ago about 12;30 in the aftrernoon. I seen a big fish move under the duck weed. I had just missed a hook up on a bigun and seen this one. I fired a cast in there with bullet type acurracy OR SO I THOUGHT. I had enough speed behind that scum frog that the lure wrapped around a limb and still kept going...........dont ask me how. Anyways I at the time was fishing with a custom frog rod I had built out of a Lamiglass 8'XHEAVY action rod cut down to 7'. Power is putting it slightly. Well the bass exploded on the frog almost immediately. I set on her and watched as the limb moved on the hookset and as well hooked the bass. Well I couldnt get the line loose from the limb (see above wrapping). There fore the fish unbuttoned herself. Now here I am perched up on the buttseat madder than a wet hen. I also fish my frogs on 85lb Lynch line. Well I reeled down as far as my arms would let me and gave a straight line pull on the frog and limb. TheLine cut the limb and here the frog came ay an estimated 265mph. Guess where it hit. RIGHT IN THE KISSER> My partner finally revived me with the river water pouring over my face LAUGHING HIS ARSE off. I still carry a small battle scar from that episode.
Old 07-06-08, 03:06 PM   #14
JB

and here all these 'yars
I figured that scar was from
the ol lady .....
whopped ya wif a fryin pan fer coming in 'runk
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 03:07 PM   #15
1FASTLASER

No that scar is on the forhead and other side bud. LOL seriously LMAO
Old 07-06-08, 03:09 PM   #16
JB

Rofl,
I figured there had to be more than one......
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 08:37 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

hahaha, laser, that's a pretty good story.

BB
Old 07-06-08, 10:40 PM   #18
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

nice un laser,
one time i was sittin in the floor of the boat (picking out a birdnest of something) and my bro got a texas rig hung and was pullin and pullin till it finally came loose and pop, it hit me right in the mouth. the hook stuck my lip and the weight tore my jaw up(mainly cause the braces) it hurt though.
i still got a little place im my lip, as well as my jaw
just thought id share that
Old 07-07-08, 05:11 AM   #19
1FASTLASER

Mariner I know I learned a valuable lesson. NEVER NEVER pull in a straight line no matter HOW PO'd I get any more. It's amazing the speed ole frog can attain when put under pressure.
Old 07-07-08, 01:15 PM   #20
frogfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I always pull em straight out when they get stuck in the lily pads but they either zoom over my head or smack my leg
frogfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 01:20 PM   #21
Fishnngolfn

I never pull at an angle when I am with a group. I pull straight and try to remind those behind me to watch out. If I am by myself or with someone, I let them know and then pull at an angle or sideways so I do not get caught with anything.
Old 07-07-08, 01:51 PM   #22
Jim80

well i was fishing from the bank with my two sons and as i'm about to cast a crank my olrest yells that his bobber disapered, naturally my mind wondered from what i was doing and my crank ended up in the tree a liitle down the bank , now after his fish was out and unhooked i went to the task of retriving my lure from said tree well i did pull straight at myself instead of to the side and luckily i didn't get hit in the face with a flying crankbait , it caught my exposed toe (was wearing sandals) and i got part of the treble under a toe nail . after a fit of swearing and a painful hook removal my son goes to cast and hooks my arm , called it a day at that point .
Old 07-07-08, 04:40 PM   #23
bamabassman

jim. looks like ya'll were just getting started, hahaha. should have "stuck" it out, hahahahaha.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 04:44 PM   #24
Fishnngolfn

You punished the kids by not fishing anymore that day just because you hooked yourself and the little one hooked you once while you were dancing around. Shame on you.
Old 07-07-08, 07:51 PM   #25
Jim80

it was right around 4 hours into the outing and if you deal with children under 10 much you know how their attention span is it was time to go anyways the both feel asleep on the car ride home .

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.