Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-07, 05:19 PM   #1
bassbooger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question Hey Lizards!!

I was looking at the thread about the Magnums and it got me to wondering. Since you have been catching those hogs down in FL.

Do you generally catch those on bigger baits, or are they on the same size baits that you were catching bass on when you lived up north?

Most people say bigger baits produce bigger fish, but I think you would be the one on here to either prove, or disprove that theory.
Old 01-30-07, 05:31 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i wish that theory was true when you compare the rapala husky jerk to the rattling rogue. The rapala turns and tumbles downward as you jerk, and has a slightly dif. shape, but for some reason the rattling rogue with its jerking cadence catches more fish for me...and its more slender in profile

husky jerk

smithwick rattling rogues
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-07, 05:55 PM   #3
Jolly

Although I realize you addressed lizards, the unofficial/official reigning king on this site, I have caught many huge fish on small lures: 4" senko's and small soft plastics. And, I have caught a few 5" fish on 6" hard jerk baits... so I don't think that really is the case.

Just my 2 cents,

Jolly
Old 01-30-07, 09:29 PM   #4
lizardsrule

Well half of the double digit bass have come very big flukes. Big enough that most folks look at me like I'm crazy for even throwing them rotfl. Some have come on standard size super flukes, and the biggest on a 1oz Jig with a Baby Paca Craw as a trailer. Yes bigger baits do catch bigger fish, and some times I use nothing but big baits when fishing areas I know there are big bass. I do believe if you have the patience and desire to fish for that one bite, that bigger baits are better at getting that one big fish. However you're probably more likely to get skunked. Smaller baits will also catch fish, but IMO the bigger baits are harder for the bigguns to pass up because it's a bigger, easier meal. With all that said a 4 inch worm will also catch a big bass if put in the right place at the right time. But if a bass has a choice between a big bait, or a little bait when feeding, then I believe they would choose the bigger bait. Less work for more food.

Lizards
Old 01-31-07, 03:29 AM   #5
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

lol, it is funny how people look at you like that, yet when you compare a 7" fluke to a 12-14" shiner, its actually quite small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
Well half of the double digit bass have come very big flukes. Big enough that most folks look at me like I'm crazy for even throwing them rotfl. Some have come on standard size super flukes, and the biggest on a 1oz Jig with a Baby Paca Craw as a trailer. Yes bigger baits do catch bigger fish, and some times I use nothing but big baits when fishing areas I know there are big bass.
Lizards
Old 01-31-07, 02:54 PM   #6
Bob60
BassFishin.Com Member

Talking Bigger baits

I fish the 12" culprit, the 1/2 & 3/4oz. trap, 1/2 oz. spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, 1/2 -3/4 oz. p&j. Guess I'm nuts, cause if it ain't a hawg I ain't interested. YES, I get Skunked alot. But Lord help me that one Big Bite is what life is all about. THE ONLY THING MORE IMPORTANT THAN A BIG BASS IS AIR TO BREATH!
Bob60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 04:55 PM   #7
Vabass22

Where can you get huge flukes?
Old 02-01-07, 09:41 AM   #8
bassbooger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vabass22 View Post

The huge bait shop. ROFL
Old 02-01-07, 09:51 AM   #9
JB

I've see guys tie on 2 and 3 flukes behind each other to give a huge long profile, each fluke has a #4 or 5 hook in it...works for saltwater action too.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-07, 09:11 PM   #10
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vabass22 View Post
http://www.lunkercity.com/

Look at the Fin-S Fish in 7" or 10" My color of choice is "Alewife"

Lizards
Old 02-02-07, 12:17 AM   #11
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
http://www.lunkercity.com/

Look at the Fin-S Fish in 7" or 10" My color of choice is "Alewife"

Lizards
lizards, I've got a couple colors in the 7" and will use a 6/0 or 7/0 ewg hook, but I don't remember the brand of hooks. I don't know if its the hook, the shape of the bait, or the way I'm rigging my hook in the bait but I just can't find a way that I like and the action it gives. Can you post a pic so I can see exactly where in the face your hook eye is and where the hook exits the "jaw" area of the fluke, and where in the back the hook barb is? Or if thats not possible, you gotta show me next time we fish together.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.