Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-09, 03:21 PM   #1
MO3N
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default New to forum and Bass (maintenance?)

Just wanted to put my first post in and ask a few questions. (you can skip my first paragraph and go straight to the questions if you want)

Well i am just now starting to get into bass fishing. i am a student in Pullman, Wa so i do alot of fishing on the snake and somtimes hit some small ponds in Idaho. but most of my fishing is for smallies... i have got a few largemouth in a semi-local pond but still have not got any smallies. (only been out a couple times for a few hours). before i came to school i did alot of fishing in the salt water for salmon and trout in the local lakes (im from the west side of washington) when i first moved over here i went with a buddy bass fishing and got my first bass....from then on i was hooked. i have learned alot just from looking through this site in the past few days. now that you know my life story i can ask a few of my questions.

i have always fished freshwater with the cheap combos that are out there. im looking to buy all new rod and reels over the coarse of this year. (in no rush) looking at getting 4 set ups 2 spinning and 2 baitcasting. but first i would like to know what everyone does for maintenanceon there rods and reels. If im going to spend a couple hundred bucks on each set up i want it to last as long as possible. usually i just do a quick rinse in freshwater. (habit from saltwater fishing) but im sure there is more then that.

1) How often do you lube your reels? and how in depth?
2) How ofter do you change your line? (im sure this one depends on how many fish you catch the cover and everything but is there a way to test if your line is bad?)
3) Do you use line conditioner...after every trip, every season or what?
4) Also any tips on brands of reel oil and conditioner or anything would be helpful also.

thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

p.s. i tried searching and it didnt find anything to indepth sorry if i missed anything
MO3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 05:08 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

1. I do general maintenance on my reels after every season, (gives me something to do to escape the cabin fever).

2. Depends on the line. I change mono every year. fluoro every two seasons, or when I don't have enough on the reel or when I try a new brand, which has been the last 3 times, lol. For braid, I keep it on until I don't have enough on the spool to fish with or 3 seasons. If I have a lot left after the 3 seasons, I'll tie the used on to another reel and spool it up backwards on that, and because braid doesn't weaken with time, heat, UV rays, etc., It's like brand new line.

3. I use line conditioner on mono and fluoro. KVD Line and Lure. When the line is new, I like to apply once a day for 3 or 4 days, then after every other fishing trip. Although some do apply after every trip.

4. Right now, I use Abu garcia's reel oil and grease, but there are many good brands out there.

BB
Old 09-10-09, 05:57 PM   #3
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

welcome to site mo3n!

i mainly use mono for fishing....i have a bad habit of changing line out after about 10 trips out,lol....i back all my reels with a cheap 6lb line....then spool the rest of the way with my mono (currently using suffix siege/17lb)...Im just a sucker for fresh line.
that and i swap alooooooot of lures while fishing and cut alot of line that way...
(not to mention cutting out some nasty backlashes)

currently I use reel magic for my conditioner....and yea i use it after every trip....the only problem with that is its not made to use on fluoro....so i may be getting a bottle of that 'kvd' stuff since im about to start using more of that type of line......dont ever be afraid to try different products
(it pleases the bait monkey)

i also use the abu garcia oil & grease....no problems with that...i usually maintence my reels about every 6 months or so.....if i fished in heavy muck..ill run my reels under water and clean them when i get home.....lures too.....then myself

enjoy the site and the fishing!!
Old 09-10-09, 09:52 PM   #4
bamabassman

welcome to the house of nuts and bait monkey fodder pal. bigbassin144 hit the nails head i think. after you get the "feel" of your reels and rods you'll know when YOU want to change things, add oil,respool and so forth.
i like that oyu are in no hurry to buy your set ups. take your time and REALLY shop around. you can get some great deals that way. have fun here too by the way,lol. we get a little crazy sometimes, but you'll like it.
Old 09-11-09, 12:00 PM   #5
zooker

a LITTLE crazy?? we are full on nuts...

zooker
Old 09-11-09, 04:55 PM   #6
bamabassman

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! right on zookie, i was just trying to EASE him into us, lol.
Old 09-11-09, 07:25 PM   #7
nofearengineer

I oil my reels every 2-3 trips. This is probably a little on the "too often" side, but my reasoning is this:

I feel that always having clean fresh oil inside the reel is a good thing, and oiling them a little too often tends to "flush" the bearings out a little. I keep a clean white cloth with me that I wipe up any excess oil inside the reel with, so as to not attract dirt and grit. Leaving too much oil in the reel is the problem. My method is more of an "oil change".

If you fish really dirty nasty water, or haul your rods and reels in the back of a dirty, dusty pickup, that would justify a lot of reel cleaning and lubing, in my opinion.
Old 09-11-09, 08:43 PM   #8
WTL

Welcome to the board. I basically concur with the replies you already got. I think I want to commend you on the questions you asked. The Abu oil will be good enough for the type fishing you are doing. If you are a gear nut, there are some lighter oils that will help you cast a yard further, but they wear out more quickly and dont offer the protection. I dont use the line conditioner just because I use braid and it doesnt need it as much. BB is right, with braid you get a loooottt of use out of it. If only braid were clear it would be the perfect line.
Old 09-11-09, 09:34 PM   #9
MO3N

thanks for all the tips and welcomes. i guess ill go pick up some oil and try it out on my old reels first and besure i get the hang of it before i mess up a new more expensive reel.

being a collage student i dont have enough money to spend on all the rods and reels all at once so ill build up slowly. but i would rather pay for somthing good now, then upgrade later. i would rather just buy another set up then have to upgrade an old one. for what its worth right now im thinking of two spinning rods with floracarbon on both and two baitcasters with either both or one braid and one mono. for the spinners im looking at either the shimano symetre or the Pflueger supreme maybe one of each to try them out. and i have no idea rods.

My idea as of now for set ups (will change by tomorrow im sure)
1) medium super fast spinning for small plastics and grubs (graphite)
2) medium semi fast spinning for larger plastics (graphite)
3) medium baitcaster for crankbaits and spinners 7' (composite)
4)medium baitcaster for jigs 7' (fiberglass)
if you have any advice on what to go with would be helpful. mostly fish plastics but am getting into crankbaits and spinners

man all my posts seem more like books then posts... just so many questions

thanks
Old 09-11-09, 09:35 PM   #10
MO3N

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I oil my reels every 2-3 trips. This is probably a little on the "too often" side, but my reasoning is this:

I feel that always having clean fresh oil inside the reel is a good thing, and oiling them a little too often tends to "flush" the bearings out a little. I keep a clean white cloth with me that I wipe up any excess oil inside the reel with, so as to not attract dirt and grit. Leaving too much oil in the reel is the problem. My method is more of an "oil change".

If you fish really dirty nasty water, or haul your rods and reels in the back of a dirty, dusty pickup, that would justify a lot of reel cleaning and lubing, in my opinion.
hey what type of engineer are you nofear? im going to school for mechanical engineering im just now starting my senior year....almost done.
Old 09-12-09, 09:42 AM   #11
bamabassman

ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh nnnnnnnnooooooooooooooo another EGINEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHA.
Old 09-12-09, 11:03 AM   #12
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3N View Post
hey what type of engineer are you nofear? im going to school for mechanical engineering im just now starting my senior year....almost done.
I'm an electrical engineer, but like all engineers, I think I know about everything else, LOL.

You will find that other people think you know way more than you actually do. Being an engineer is primarily about knowing where to find the information you need. If you kept all of that stuff in your head, you'd probably go insane.

This year is going to be the toughest you ever imagined. Keep your nose to the grindstone and you will be happy you did. Being an engineer is kind of like being the worst player in the NFL. He may not be a superstar, or make the megabucks, but he can still have pride in having survived a difficult thing (4 years of torture LOL) that most sane people would have given up on a long time ago.
Old 09-12-09, 01:12 PM   #13
MO3N

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I'm an electrical engineer, but like all engineers, I think I know about everything else, LOL.

You will find that other people think you know way more than you actually do. Being an engineer is primarily about knowing where to find the information you need. If you kept all of that stuff in your head, you'd probably go insane.

This year is going to be the toughest you ever imagined. Keep your nose to the grindstone and you will be happy you did. Being an engineer is kind of like being the worst player in the NFL. He may not be a superstar, or make the megabucks, but he can still have pride in having survived a difficult thing (4 years of torture LOL) that most sane people would have given up on a long time ago.
thanks for the advice. i took less credits this year to make it a little easier.....hopefully it works.
Old 09-12-09, 01:16 PM   #14
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3N View Post
thanks for the advice. i took less credits this year to make it a little easier.....hopefully it works.
You're a smarter man than me heh. I took 51 credit hours my senior year. (21 during the summer, 12 during Fall, and 18 in Spring). Most days, I didn't know if I was coming or going. It was by far, the most difficult thing I have ever done.
Old 09-12-09, 03:07 PM   #15
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh nnnnnnnnooooooooooooooo another EGINEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
my thoughts exactly.......wait but my master's degree say "electrical engineer" - i can't belive i was sober enough either..

zooker
Old 09-12-09, 06:19 PM   #16
bamabassman

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA! mo3n i was kidding with ya man. see my father is a structrul (i know, spelling) detailer by trade. he also owns and operates a job shop (temp employment service) for engeneers, architechs, and draftmen. i still help him out making calls and so forth when he needs me. so i know ALL about what nofear said about "knowing" everything, lmao. bryce is alright in my opion. and zooker? well................... see what a degree in engeneering can do to ya? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 09-12-09, 08:21 PM   #17
zooker

yeah a degree and a temper hotter than a hablanro pepper inside a sardine can-office-NOT GOOD.. i'd rather drive lucretia around the lumber yard...much more fun and i am less likely to bust skulls and take names...

zooker
Old 09-12-09, 10:33 PM   #18
bamabassman

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.