Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-09, 11:00 PM   #1
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Fall Bite

I have been waiting for fall to kick the hot lazy bass back into feeding mode, stockpiling lots of goods in anticipation. After a few cool nights recently, I was hoping the dead sea would come to life today. Epic fail. Earlier today, I called BPS to ask a question about a reel i was interested in, and then mentioned the recent colder days and nights, said I was going out after work, and the BPS rep mentioned that I would be going out a day too early. I wondered how could he know the temps of the lake I was going to.

It looks like he was right. I got skunked. I am sure there is a formula involving water and air temps but I thought today would work even though I am working a reservoir where the colder water gets drained, skewing the data. But its still going to happen sometime in the reservoirs, right? I remember hearing Bill Dance saying something about 20 degree temp drops for 3 straight days being the kick off to the fall feeding frenzy.

Anyone want to share what they know about when the fall bite kicks in, and maybe throw your go to Fall lures into your post, that would be appreciated.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 12:25 AM   #2
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

you wanna look for the turn over in the lakes around here when the water drops below a certain degree it kinda flips the water colum around and there is no longer a thermocline. Visibly you will see nasty stuff on top the water it may smell also, the week after this happens we are in business. Water temps around here range from high 70's to low 80's right now in the reservoirs 55-70 range has be good for me. Once it drops below 50 the bite slows alotttt. It all happens fast so be ready cause you know what comes next !
Old 09-03-09, 07:58 AM   #3
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

Good stuff Mojo. It would seem a website that tracks all the water temps for us fisherman would be a handy resource. And it sounds like i should get a thermometer. Only problem, once i get to the lake to check the temp, we all know I am fishing it anyways.
Old 09-03-09, 08:10 AM   #4
Kevin
Administrator

Hi Randy,

We have a production video all about Fishing in the Fall. Check it out.

Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 08:11 AM   #5
Nater1300
BassFishin.Com Member

For what it's worth, I don't know much about the temperature thing but it seems that with a couple nights in the 40's, the fish are starting to bite more in our large pond. As far as lures, I have used my Blade Dancer many times in the past with NO luck. The last week, the bass are eatin it up! I caught one last night that was a monster! Got him all the way to the edge of the pond and he snapped my line (12lb test)!! Guess I will be going to the store for a new Blade Dancer today Just my $.02
Nater1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 03:04 PM   #6
BassMoJo

Yea... I randy I'm speaking for our local reservoirs that are deep enough to thermocline you'll see better fishing in the rivers come October
Old 09-03-09, 03:47 PM   #7
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Good stuff Mojo. It would seem a website that tracks all the water temps for us fisherman would be a handy resource. And it sounds like i should get a thermometer. Only problem, once i get to the lake to check the temp, we all know I am fishing it anyways.
Lucky for you, there is a website just like that.

http://www.usace.army.mil/about/Pages/Locations.aspx

The US Army Corps of Engineers rocks!!

Chances are, if your favorite fishing lake wasn't made by mother nature, the Corps manages it, and they post the data on the web. I love their site.
Old 09-03-09, 07:49 PM   #8
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

Great Video Kevin. I just watched it and learned a lot. I will work the shad angle at the suggested locations.

BMJ - yeah I think i am a bit early in trying to work the fall bite. October you say heh. This is my first year trying to work the fall and I am ready to get started after a slow August.

NOFear - I am trying to work the corp site but am striking out thus far. My searches have led me to nothing. I have found flows and elevations for the Potomac River but no temps, nor temps on Maryland lakes. This is the best as I can do thus far: http://www.nab-wc.usace.army.mil/mapserver/index.html - let me know if I am missing the obvious. Thanks.

I will throw out another great site for stream data I use in case others dont know about it... USGS. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/rt Unrelated - I am looking for a site that has Potomac River turbidity...

Last edited by RandyHolt; 09-03-09 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-03-09, 10:11 PM   #9
nofearengineer

The Army Corps site is only for reservoirs and rivers they manage. Other bodies of water...well, you're on your own there, compadre. Sorry it wasn't more help.
Old 09-03-09, 11:06 PM   #10
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

Using a free wireless signal I wonder if I cant rig up a thermometer in my local reservoir and have it ftp a temp reading into the internets... maybe a tweet somehow. Its like we are still living in the stoneage sometimes. But why stop there - how about a fish finder uploading data for me from a little remote control boat. Bah a muskie would attack it.
Old 09-03-09, 11:11 PM   #11
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Using a free wireless signal I wonder if I cant rig up a thermometer in my local reservoir and have it ftp a temp reading into the internets... maybe a tweet somehow. Bah its like we are still living in the stoneage sometimes.
Now you're talking my language, Randy. How are you hoping to power it? If it's going to connect rather than mindlessly broadcast, you're gonna need a considerable amount of processing, which is gonna eat a lot of power, more than a watch battery can provide.

What reservoir are you talking about? Maybe I can find something.
Old 09-03-09, 11:20 PM   #12
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

I figured after i posted i may trigger a bite. Little Seneca Lake / Black Hill Regional Park in Boyds MD. Wiki Info.

Power, we cant go nuclear of course so perhaps multiple watch batteries. A small solar panel may do the trick perhaps for a once or twice a day upload of data. Or a cam to show clarity via bmp ftp. Or tap into the boat rental office for some quality juice and have live streaming data. Maybe I will make a call over there tomorrow and see what they think.
Old 09-03-09, 11:35 PM   #13
nofearengineer

Randy, try this site out. It doesn't have all of the hard data of a USACE survey, but it ought to be a lot better than nothing.

http://www.fishingnotes.com/lakeinfo.php?id=11479
Old 09-04-09, 12:00 AM   #14
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

@ NFE Good work -thanks so much for digging up that link. It seems link sharing can go a long ways. Reading up that site recommends with that big fat high pressure system in place to go for that trophy. Ha like i need to be told twice.

A site i like to use for best fishing times forecasting is ePRO. I never plan trips around it, more watch it to see if it hits.
Old 09-04-09, 12:19 AM   #15
nofearengineer

That's a cool site, Randy. I'll try to remember to take a look at it when planning.
Old 09-04-09, 12:07 PM   #16
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks to this thread i just pulled in my biggest of the year. Kevin's video showed that the early fall temp drops - the bass are not as deep into the coves as I had thought just yet. So I moved up. And No Fears link told me with what are still high water temps and high pressure overhead, to go for a lunker. So I went a heavy jumbo rig of a Gama Monster and 7" Dinger.

I didnt feel a thing but then saw my line moving way up wind - one of my favs. Set the hook nice and clean and beached him.

One downer, he had red marks all over the inside of his mouth and on his tail.
Old 09-04-09, 12:11 PM   #17
Bassassinator
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Bassassinator

WOW! great fish Randy! that's one of the largest i have ever seen, though i haven't seen many and only been doin this a short time, I hope to catch one close to the size of him someday. Again, bro, great fish and keep it up!
Old 09-04-09, 01:14 PM   #18
nofearengineer

Wowsers, man. I'm really happy for ya that the planning worked!!! That is a beast.
Old 09-04-09, 01:51 PM   #19
BassMoJo

nice fish! senca?
Old 09-04-09, 02:12 PM   #20
JB

I've learned the hard way during fall fishing that once it gets really hot go to the lake as much as possible, it seems once it drops off after a front or rain its really hard to get the big numbers. From beginning of sept through october is decent here, but like last year woody and I hit the lake in late october and the bite had dropped off alot, even tho we could find schools of shad and some bass working them. I need to learn more about early fall fishing, kevins video is awesome in explaining the migration.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 02:42 PM   #21
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

Yep. Little Seneca. And I of course want to go back out. Today. Now. I am working on my release. I figure that soon it will be too dark to fish after work and to get in as much as I can so when the lunkers go a hunting, i am there. The weekends moving forward will be a crap shoot whether the bite and weather will cooperate. And weddings to go to. That is prime fishing time!
Old 09-04-09, 09:57 PM   #22
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the advice JB. I went back knowing the good days will end sooner than I want, and sure enough got a tap on my worm on the first cast. They are just giving a little tap. I missed 4 or 5 tonight. My worm all bunched up. I tried to set it quick, waiting 3 seconds; waiting for the line to get real heavy. Nada. But who cares, I got my first 6 pounder on the ledger today!

These fall bites actually seem really subtle. Typically, when in doubt I set the hook. But it didnt work for me. Waiting didnt work. Back I am going to have to go. I have never used such a huge hook / plastic. I have it Tex-posed typically but I may need a wider gap. I may have to go with a bigger hook... a 7 aught. I think the plastic is blocking a good set. Or they are just grabbing the backs.

Last edited by RandyHolt; 09-04-09 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-04-09, 10:16 PM   #23
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

That's a great fish! Congrats!
Old 09-04-09, 10:35 PM   #24
BassMoJo

There still in a summer pattern in the Baltimore city reservoirs. where are in catching them ...how deep? Im finding all my fish on flats w/ deep water access nearby feeding in the am (before the sun comes up) and main lake points during the day 15-40 ft and when the sun starts to go down they start holdin on big oaks
Old 09-04-09, 10:56 PM   #25
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

@BMJ Just inside the coves/creeks off the main bodys. I am stuck on shore so I dont know the exact depth. Plus all of the lake bottom is full of tons of hydrilla. With no hydrilla, I think its maybe 25-40 feet deep (it gets deep fast). Factoring hydrilla and going weightless... I think my plastics were at about 15 feet today again just inside a long deep fairly narrow cove off the main channel, right in the middle / at the deepest point.

The way the main channel is and the way my line was going when i noticed the bite, I will assume he came in from the deeper main channel. Stumbled upon the fat dinger, and was making his way back to the main channel after feeding. that was the direction my mine was headed. Not so fast big guy.

That ePRO site a few posts up shows a minor feeding frenzy starting right when i caught him... around 11am.

Last edited by RandyHolt; 09-04-09 at 11:22 PM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.