Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-09, 07:35 PM   #26
Bassassinator
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Bassassinator

I will try the sidearm circle cast, but i don't know how it will go....I am not 100% sure of the motions you are describing but will try to look up a video online to show me what to do...hopeful;ly i will find what i need. Thank you
Old 09-13-09, 10:26 PM   #27
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't know, I tend to backlash more on sidearm casts, but I think it's just me.

More important than your brakes is your spool tension when learning to cast a baitcaster. If it's adjusted right, your magentic brakes should be fine on 4-6 when learning. Also, you may have to turn them up another notch if you're using a cheaper reel.

BB
Old 09-13-09, 10:36 PM   #28
Bassassinator

yeah, i don't know much about combo deals from Cabela's, but this combo setup from Daiwa is GREAT...it's so smooth and easy to use for beginners thati can't say enough about it....i'd definitely get more of the same for different line weights and such if I could afford them lol....great buy i recommend them to anyone looking for one as a starter combo....sorry if I start to sound like an advertisement, but this is my first and i can't honestly say i'd wished for an easier time learning so far...Sidearm is still a bit off, tried it a little more today and with some more practice i think i can make it through and cast forward again on the BC. also, wanted to know if anyone had some tips to pitching and flipping? i am still Backlashing horribly when i attempt a pitch, but maybe it's just me...
Old 09-13-09, 10:47 PM   #29
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Hey, I didn't through everything, so I might have missed it, but which combo did you end up getting? I am a big fan of Daiwa reels, and I think when it comes to lower end reels, they make one of the best.

BB
Old 09-13-09, 10:52 PM   #30
Bassassinator

I ended up saying Screw BPS and their combo for the Daiwa Exceler rod/reel combo from Cabela's online....7' MH rod 10-20lb test, with the Exceler Reel at 7.1:1 gear ratio, 8+1 bearings, Mag-z magnetic braking system, Infinite Anti-Reverse, and boy was it probably the best decision i have made....it got a 5 star review on the website, and it cast SOOOOO much smoother than my alternative ugly stick spinning combo....also the rod itself is way more sensitive than the other i have lol...definitely a great purchase.
Old 09-14-09, 10:39 PM   #31
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok Bass... if the sidearm isnt for you, try what Abu recommends to get it straight. My Revo STX manual says:

Quote:
Holding the rod and reel in front of your body, bring the rod backward so the tip reaches a point above and behind your shoulder. Without stopping, bring the rod back in front of your body in a single motion. Release the thumb control of the spool as the rod is brought forward so that the lure is launched slightly upward and outward toward your target. As the lure approaches the water surface stop the spool with your thumb
I feel i am setting my spool tension correctly. Regardless, i am over tightening my mechanical brake a tad at first but trying also trying optimal (lure descents 25cm when the tip is flexed gently). lf l set the magnetic brake to normal - bam. Birdnest. I am a noob and just need to learn but keep it high for now. But my sidearm cast helped me out a lot. I just threw out the sidearm idea to you because it fixed my aim big time. Everyone casts differently and you will find whats best for you. If you are heading left it may be a loose wrist?? I am using my arm more than my wrist to cast, right or wrong.

Last edited by RandyHolt; 09-14-09 at 10:47 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-09, 10:49 PM   #32
nofearengineer

One little tip I discovered that helped me a bit when I was really green with a baitcaster:

As you bring the rod forward, begin to "roll" your wrist "inward". In other words, casting with your right arm, you would turn your reel counter-clockwise before your forward cast ended. This works on the principle of conservation of angular momentum, as some of the excess momentum of the spool which causes the backlash is countered by rotation off of the spool axis.

Sorry for the extreme nerdity, but it does work.
Old 09-14-09, 11:06 PM   #33
Bassassinator

lol i will try that thanks engineer
Old 09-16-09, 03:33 PM   #34
BASSINPHOENIX
BassFishin.Com Member

most of the time is location and presentation.what i did in my days is everytime there is a tounament going on i watch the guys where they go and what they were throwing,we have also a guided tour over here and everytime i go on the lake i checked them out where they were heading.you need to spend a lot of time on the water and start with plastics like drop shots and senkos just to start to build your confidence.
BASSINPHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 04:38 PM   #35
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

To perform a side arm roll cast, hold the rod (with it ready for the cast) about waist high with the casting reel still engaged. That means you haven't depressed the thumb button yet.

Now, using your wrist, make the lure spin around the rod tip. Imagine the tip is the sun and the lure is a planet revolving around the sun. See how it is spinning around and it is your wrist that is making this action possible?

This is the same principle involved in making a side arm roll cast, but you will be doing the spinning motion to your side (you're making a side arm cast afterall) as opposed to in front and the lure is only going to make one revolution. In addition, when you do this for real, the reel will be disengaged with your thumb on the spool. They call it a roll cast because the lure revolves around the tip before it is launched. You'll learn the timing of the release with practice and experience.

Nofear's tip is also excellent.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.