Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-10, 12:34 AM   #1
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Is the J Knot overkill?

I typically use a palomar or combined clinch/palomar. I have had a clinch slip on an over used pre-riged t-rig, but breaking has not been an issue. I just got done tying a J and it felt like overkill to me. Also it came out rather bulky for my taste, and was difficult to cut off the hook eye. I plan to stick with the P knot myself. The J seems like something more useful for big game fish. Like oceanic fish.

I know other people give knots more thought than I do, and know way more about them. So please go ahead and give your opinions, and feel free to rip me up.
Old 06-22-10, 12:53 AM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The Palomar knot is what I use for just about everything. A truly versatile knot.
Old 06-22-10, 12:57 AM   #3
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

With braid, I usually use a double Palomar knot. To make it a double, just do step 4 twice.
When I'm using mono, I use an improved clinch knot. I've never had either of these fail. Yes, I've broken the line, straightened hooks, and broken limbs off trees, but never had either one of these knots pull free.
I've never used the J-knot, but from what I gather, it's usually used to tie on a leader, not for the actual lure.
Old 06-22-10, 01:06 AM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Nothing against the Palomar knot, it's a good knot. But here is a knot that I have been using for quite a while now and it has not broke on me one time. I use it with both Flourocarbon and Mono. It's the Eugene Bend knot and it is really fast and easy to tie. My favorite thing about it is that it leaves no doubt about whether it has been tied and seated properly because if you hear the little click when you tighten it up you are good to go.

http://smileandsing.tistory.com/149
Old 06-22-10, 01:12 AM   #5
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Palomar for everything...other than fluoro. Then I use a double uni. Can't remember the last time I've had a knot fail.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 08:09 AM   #6
Jrob78

I use the Palomar knot 95% of the time, when I don't use it I use the Improved Clinch knot. The knot C-rig posted looks interesting too, might have to give it a try.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 08:20 AM   #7
Bassboss

Seems kinda like a suped up quick knot to me.

Ad for what i tie, I use the Palomar 100% with braid, and starting to use the trilene knot in mono with great success!
Old 06-22-10, 08:43 AM   #8
walkeraviator

I use Palomar for EVERYTHING... havent had a knot fail yet... i am lokin into another option for Flouro if my palomar ever breaks there... but until it DOES break Ima keep using teh ole p-knot...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 09:18 AM   #9
Cavs1123

Nothing is overkill when talking about a fishing knot. The stronger the better. So what if its bulky? If it is strong stck with it!
Old 06-22-10, 09:32 AM   #10
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Nothing against the Palomar knot, it's a good knot. But here is a knot that I have been using for quite a while now and it has not broke on me one time. I use it with both Flourocarbon and Mono. It's the Eugene Bend knot and it is really fast and easy to tie. My favorite thing about it is that it leaves no doubt about whether it has been tied and seated properly because if you hear the little click when you tighten it up you are good to go.

That's a very interesting knot, C-rig. It definitely looks easy to tie, although I am not sure about the double loop wrapping around the main line. It looks like you have to keep the orientation of it the same as you wrap it around (can't just "spin it").

I always figured the strength of the Palomar knot had something to do with having two lines through the hook eye as opposed to one. This knot only has one, and it concerns me, but I will definitely try it out. Given the problems some people have with the Palomar and fluorocarbon, it's always good to know yet one more "go to" knot.
Old 06-22-10, 10:16 AM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For braided line the Palomar is a must. I never use anything else on braid. It can be tied in mono and fluoro ok as long as you tighten it slowly and lubricate well. There are cases, like tying a dropshot that a palomar is necessary in fluorocarbon.

For fluorocarbon and mono, I normally use the Improved Clinch knot.

For all line to line situations, I use a Double Uni or Uni to Uni knot.

BB
Old 06-22-10, 10:52 AM   #12
WaffleJaw

Quote:

Thats allllmost exactly what I use...Kory have you tried taking the tag end and going through the eye of the hook again for double strength before cinching it down?..Just curious if it will still cinch tight..let me know.
Old 06-22-10, 12:02 PM   #13
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:

Here, Here!
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 12:04 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Thats allllmost exactly what I use...Kory have you tried taking the tag end and going through the eye of the hook again for double strength before cinching it down?..Just curious if it will still cinch tight..let me know.
I haven't tried that. But I have never had this knot fail me so I haven't had any reason to try and improve it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.