Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-06, 02:54 PM   #1
DEbass'n
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Rod Help

This past weekend, I went into Dick's to get a gift certificate for my buddy's birthday. I made my usual trip to the fishing section and was looking for a new baitcaster. I first picked up a St. Croix 6' 6" med and liked the way it felt. Then I picked up a Pflueger rod and reel combo, 6' med. and it had no feel in it whatsoever so i decided against that one. Then i found a Quantum rod and reel combo that is 6' med or med heavy that feels just as good as the St. Croix. It is a $120 combo on sale for $60. My question is that I haven't ever used a baitcaster, so which one do you guys think I should get to learn on?
Old 12-14-06, 04:24 PM   #2
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

get a 6'6'' m or mh rod if you can. it is the best all around rod for fishing. i would reccomend a reel with an aluminum spool,at least 4 ball bearings,anti reverse,and make sure it fits your hand and feels good on the rod. if you do a forum search of baitcasting,you will find some excellent threads on it.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-06, 06:45 PM   #3
weaverml34
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Debass'n,

I'm with Skeeter get at least a 6'6" rod as long as it feels comfortable to you. I would suggest buying the Quantum combo if this is going to be your first baitcaster. That way if you don't like it your not out the money for the St. Croix rod and a reel. Chances are once you get the hang of a baitcaster your not going to go back to spinning gear except for throwing light tackle. Baitcasters do take some time to get the hang of but once you do you'll really like it.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-06, 09:27 PM   #4
basser425
BassFishin.Com Member

Default rod reel combo

One other consideration, which may not have an easy answer if this is your only bait casting rig, ... what do you think you will throw the MOST with this combo. If I was looking for a rod to throw crankbaits, it would be a longer length 7' faster action tip, carolina rigs might dictate a rod with longer length and heavier action, worms shorter and lighter action.
Andy

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.