Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-06, 10:33 PM   #1
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Shorty

That's what was happening in my tournament last week.....I was getting them on dropshots.....if you were catching tons of shorts on a dropshotted worm what would you switch to?
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-06, 11:07 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Move a little deeper would be my suggestion.
Old 12-25-06, 11:45 PM   #3
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

keep at it... maybe you will find the mom
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-06, 11:48 PM   #4
FlyRod

Lightbulb

Yep, what HE said...and there's another "longshot" bet you might wager on.

Ever think of UP-sizing your dropshot rig? Here's a possibility...
If you're using a purpose-built (Tek-neek Specific) dropshot rod, you're fishin' kinda light...right? This means smaller soft plastics, mebbe up to a five inch finesse worm, slim in profile.
Howzabout taking your MED/MED HVY seven footer, rigging a dropshot with heavier weight. If you haven't got a heavier dropshot weight peg a 3/8-1/2 worm weight on the end, maybe even a 5/8 or 3/4, after you add a larger hook...a Gamakatsu G-Lock or EWG 3 /0 to 4/0 will do, making sure that the point rides UP, of course. Then, rig a FATTER softie, either a worm, lizard, or large tube and lower that combo into the water. For one, you can fish it deeper and still have strike detection AND setting power and, two, you'll be presenting a lure that's more "findable", and maybe more "worth his/her trouble" to a larger fish. Adding a rattle, and occasionally giving the rig a sharp enough jump to make some noise, might do the trick, since depth=darkness.

All this is a is a more versatile version of "doodlesocking", especially if you do it in cover, and if you do it with a weedless hook OR bury the point, ala T-rig, you CAN use it in cover.

Last Friday, I wanted to dropshot in the danger zone...timber. So, I re-rigged with a Gamakatsu weedless finesse hook, made sure that weird weedguard was in perfect tune, then lowered her down...Bingo! I caught several bass out of places I'd NEVER throw an exposed-point rig. And this was with a true dropshot (light) rig...St.Croix Avid AC69MLF "Drop Shot" rod, Chronarch 50MG reel, #20 TUFline braid, and a 6-7' P-Line Fluoro (NOT Floroclear) leader joined to the braid via the dreaded J-Knot. I added a 1/4 oz. dropshot weight and a Gamakatsu 1/0 weedless finesse hook, a ZOOM Finesse (4.5") worm in Baby Bass, and they went for it.

Try the heavier rig and larger profile softy. It might do the trick, especially if fished slowly on one place for up to several minustes, varying the depth by starting at the bottom and making ONE turn of the reel handle every 30 seconds or so to cover the water column.

A word of caution...One fish nearly took the rig outta my hand when he slammed the ZOOM...EeeeK!...over 425 bux worth! He only measured maybe 13 inches, at that. Sooooo...keep a grip and be prepared.

Just a suggestion. Well, WOT are yew waiting for?

Fly"Dropshot"Rod

Last edited by FlyRod; 12-26-06 at 11:25 AM.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-06, 08:28 AM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

as fly swatter said "adjust" this is how it is done..

zooker
Old 12-26-06, 11:29 AM   #6
pig n jig

Supa fly, Your typewriting skills are impeccable. What scares the h3ll out of me is, Zooker can decipher the message " Adjust" out of the 600 word composition you typed ?Zooker, you been using condensed milk on your Froot Loops again ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-06, 11:34 AM   #7
skeeter944

lmao at pnj! lol!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-06, 10:21 PM   #8
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Supa fly, Your typewriting skills are impeccable. What scares the h3ll out of me is, Zooker can decipher the message " Adjust" out of the 600 word composition you typed ?Zooker, you been using condensed milk on your Froot Loops again ? P N J
Well, the Devil is in the details, right, so why omit something that might be the key word or phrase? Besides, I get paid by the word.
Uh-oh! My monitor is running out of ink!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.