Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-05, 09:15 AM   #1
jbfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Settin The Hook

I need help guys. Where it is so hot where i live, the water temp is around 85 degrees. I have been using rubber worms texas rigged popping back to me on the bottom. I know im doing this the right way. But the thing is, i cant set the hook. I havent fished like this much. I need your help on when to set the hook. I think im too late. Please write back with as much help you can give this amature.
jbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 09:17 AM   #2
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

When in doubt rip there lips off. T-rigs require a nice firm hookest. I like to lower the tip reel up the slack then drive it home with an upward jerk, not a sweep.
Old 07-26-05, 09:27 AM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Also make sure its not a bluegill taking the worms tail and running with it.

You may have to reel in the slack and feel for some weight IF you have been comming up empty each time, a clue is too look for the worm to be on the end of the hook
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 10:08 AM   #4
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

Make Sure That The Fish Has It. Make Sure You Feel The Weight. Then Catch Up Most Of Your Slack And Rip Either Sideways Or At An Angle I Wouldnt Rip Straight Up On A Texas Or Carolina Rig. You Cant Rip To Hard.
Old 07-26-05, 11:09 AM   #5
BPoi523433
BassFishin.Com Member

No offence to any of you because i don't consider myself a "pro"....but i think ppl set the hook way too hard....i geuss if you are keeping the fish to eat or sumthing then rip away...but for catch and release there's no reason to break a fishes jaws...i set it fairly hard but not with all my might...i crimp all my hook barbs and it's quite rare for a fish to throw the hook

Again no offence guys,
Bob
BPoi523433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 11:19 AM   #6
Chiefton
BassFishin.Com Member

I get anxious sometimes and try to set the hook on a twig. So like these guys said, make sure it is a fish, reel in the slack and jerk the rod up.
Chiefton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 01:04 PM   #7
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

assuming the hits are bass and not bream as was suggested by someone else the time it takes to set the hook is not as important as the set itself. Bass that have a T rigged worm will often swim around with it for a great amount of time. The real problem is setting the hook before they get it to deep. This is especailly true with scent enhanced lures. When you detect that the fish has the lure dont take up slack or try to feel if the fish is really there. That is a good way for a bass to detect that you are there. Simply drop your rod to the 9:30 position and snap set it back to the 11:30 positioin. Rod speed is more impoprtant than power. Once the line is stretched tight turn the reel handle a couple of times to drive the hook a little deeper.If you have to much slack to set the hook like this you are loosing some sesitvity in the rod and line. Check the amount of droop that there is between your rod and the water. You dont want the line to be taught but a little curve is necessary. If the fish are picking it up and then droping it your weight may be to heavy and they are detecting you. Always use the lightest weight you can and still maintain contact with the bait. I fish a worm as deep as 35 feet and never use more than a 5/8 oz weight. You might also try pegging your sinker. Often I use a 1/8 oz or 3/16 oz when fishing less than 20 feet deep.Remember they dont have hands. When they pick it up it is with thier mouth and they eat everything head first. Fish2win

Last edited by Fish2win; 07-26-05 at 11:08 PM.
Fish2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 04:05 PM   #8
jbfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys. I'm going tonight and maybe ill have a little more luck. Hey Fish2 Win do you fish at Norris Lake. I did a couple weekends ago and fished every day for 4 days straight and only got a few hits. Do you have any pointers for me when I return to the mountain lake/dam area?

Thanks Again Guys:
JBfisher
Old 07-26-05, 11:00 PM   #9
Fish2win

The termocline has moved to 28 to 30 feet. The SM are hitting between 20 and 30 the LM are hitting between 15 and 20. T rigged brush hogs, drop type spinnerbaits and the PnG.The only good time is in the dark. Main lake strutures . If you fish at Mtn Lake you need to run out of Big Creek to the river channel. Fish the old Rainbow Dock area or run to Loyston. The walleye are hitting during the day . Trolling at 20 to 25 feet with jet lures.Stripers are hitting at Points 9 to 11 on the Powell at first light. JB anytime you want a Norris report go to www.marksautos.com then click on fishing. Hows the night bite at Laurel? Fish2win
Old 07-27-05, 09:11 AM   #10
jbfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

It's actually pretty fair. I don't catch many where im a newbe. But one friend of mine caught 9 keepers in one night.(catch and release). Man, maybe i just suck, but i cant catch fish there. That is a lake that you would have to know well to do any good at. I know people who have fished there for years and still have trouble. Thanks for the help. If you ever want to fish Laurel, go to exit 38 in London KY and turn left, go about 12 miles(???) or so and turn left at a sign that says marsh branch. At night you can usually get several hits. When you start you can only go left or right. Go left and if it is not busy around the dock, fish those points down through there and also fish the coves.

Thanks
Jbfisher
Old 07-27-05, 11:48 AM   #11
Fish2win

JB I have been fishing Laurel a few times a year for the past few years. I usually go out of Holly Grove. I have caught a lot of nice Sm and LM at Laurel both day and night.After they started making you buy a state parking permit in order to park at the ramp I have not been back. The last time I was there the guy at the dock told us we would have to go back to the nearest city( London) in order to get the permit after he sold use our out of state license. By the time we did that and got back to the ramp it was 9:00 and the best fishing was over. Here in Tennessee all state owned ramps are free for parking and launching. I live in Mill Creek on Norris and fish year round, feel free to ask or check my web for a fishing report on Norris anytime. Fish2win
Old 07-27-05, 12:42 PM   #12
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

if you want to take a chance on missing the fish of a lifetime then you will want to wait before you set the hook.as woo davies once said.."if it feels like anything other than nothing,set the hook"hard...i live by that theory.how much does it cost to set the hook?....and can you afford to miss a fish?
i fish 200-300 days a year and NEVER wait to set the hook.
Old 07-27-05, 03:23 PM   #13
jbfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok thanks guys. I have a pass that i use. It was only 5 bucks and it is a one day pass. I got the guy at the store i bought it at to leave the date blank. So if i do get caught ill just say that i didnt know it wasnt dated. I have never been checked or seen anyone checking the passes where i put in at. But i guess you never know. I know ill get better at setting the hook, but ive only had my boat for a month and have really got into fishing this June. So i have plenty of time to get better.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.