Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-06, 02:56 AM   #1
Sluggo
BassFishin.Com Member

Default lure retrievers.

a real gimmick. okay we all have heard "you're not fishing unless you're losing lures". thats you're consellation prize. so you're "told" you need a lure retriever you know get your lure back. almost every lure that is "forceably" taken back from the drink is never the same does not run true and the hooks may be spent. even if I get lucky and get a stuck lure back the old fashion way eg. make your rod into a bow or motor up and stick your rod in vertically and get it its really never the same, I'll keep it and use it again or try to and it may be okay most times its lost its efficacy. so upshot you just buy a new one and lures have always been a luxury. I'm honestly thinking about spend more money; buy more lures.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-06, 10:10 AM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

sluggo that is pure crap..i have used a lure retriver for years both pole and send down styles..crankbaits will be knocked out of tune from use.-the object is to CONTACT structure- repeated CONTACT will knock it out of tune. a lure retriver just removes the bait -an $18 bait at times-from the object you are contacting.. hooks are a give me i replace my hooks on new baits by doing this i have less hook failure. 90% of the crankbaits mass produced to day have crappy hooks installed.. bend a gammy teble there is a tool called pliers bend it back.re sharpen the points continue fishing..

ask any of the guys i send stuff to how there reclaimed baits work after i yank them out of trees or off power lines..

zooker
Old 03-26-06, 01:54 PM   #3
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

What Zooker said is true. I've fished with guys who are much more accomlished anglers than myself and they use these things any time they get hung up and keep fishing with the same bait. They catch fish with these baits that are "supposedly" out of tune.
Most that I've seen are deep balsa baits, which should be the easiest baits to foul up.
Old 03-26-06, 02:30 PM   #4
Sluggo
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
sluggo that is pure crap..i have used a lure retriver for years both pole and send down styles..crankbaits will be knocked out of tune from use.-the object is to CONTACT structure- repeated CONTACT will knock it out of tune. a lure retriver just removes the bait -an $18 bait at times-from the object you are contacting.. hooks are a give me i replace my hooks on new baits by doing this i have less hook failure. 90% of the crankbaits mass produced to day have crappy hooks installed.. bend a gammy teble there is a tool called pliers bend it back.re sharpen the points continue fishing..

ask any of the guys i send stuff to how there reclaimed baits work after i yank them out of trees or off power lines..

zooker
what you say really makes sense. I was just thinking about the "confidence" thing how an angler would feel about a bait that you got the lake or river to "cough" it back up. I was not trying to be smart guy. "tight lines"
Old 03-26-06, 05:22 PM   #5
bassguy2004
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Besides, if the lure is out of "tune", you just tune it back, and continue fishing. A lure retriever is the way to go. It bumbs me out to loose a confidence lure that has caught me fish in the past.
Old 03-27-06, 08:06 PM   #6
bassboogieman

I, too, used to be the guy who broke off a hung lure and tied on a new one. But with the cost of a decent hardbait today, I've "invested" in a lure retreiver............ I'm savin' a good deal of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ now.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 08:12 PM   #7
bass kicker

i have never had any trouble with the lures after i got them out of a snag
Old 03-27-06, 08:14 PM   #8
flfireman

Im not rich! Dont like losing lures. Hell, Ill go after a soft plastic if Im able to get it fairly easy. Plus breaking off Power Pro is easier said than done. Use the BPS lure retriever, not the best method, not the worst.
Old 03-27-06, 08:18 PM   #9
bass kicker

i was thinking of getting one but i dont get hung enough to spend the money i rather get another lure
Old 03-27-06, 08:24 PM   #10
Raul

8 miserable dollars is what a good lure retriever is worth, just ask me if itīs worth it............. I hung up my brand new Megabass Bait X concept crank on the third cast, you really crap a brick when you hang up a 25 dollars crankbait but if you ainīt fishing them where they are in danger of hanging them up you ainīt feechin them in the right place, picked up my trusty lure retriever and I got it back with a 10 pound log still attached to it.

Iīve saved hundreds of dollars worth in crankbaits with a miserable investment of 8 dollars.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 08:42 PM   #11
crankybait

those megabass lures look really cool. and i doubt people would use em so much with the fear that theyd lose it. with a lure retriever, you can throw some of your better baits and not worry too much
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 08:48 PM   #12
bassinbob

I was in wally world walking to the fishing section passing through the golf stuff. I just happened to look and saw a telescoping ball retriever. It extends to 15ft. I think I'll get one next time I'm there. It has a loop on the end. You probably could use it like that or attach some links of chain. Forgot to check the price but it probably isn't that expensive.

Bob
Old 03-27-06, 10:28 PM   #13
bassguy2004

Bob, the heck with the cost of the ball retriever. Two Lucky crafts detached from certain doom, pays for the retriever. Although this is saying the crankbait is in less than 15 feet.
Old 04-11-06, 02:21 PM   #14
Bass Ackwards

I was watching a video of Skeet Reese at the San Mateo International Sportsmens Exposition (http://www.westernbass.tv/videopage.php?0000239) he was saying if you pull the line tight and snap it (like a bow) your bait will become un snag.

On my last trip I got a nasty snag and decided to give it a try, and to my surprise it worked. As long as this works continues to work 80% of the time I'll save my money.
Bass Ackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 02:55 PM   #15
Raul

Yeah try the bow method and break your $350+ GLX rod.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 03:12 PM   #16
bassnman30

Not all cranks are alike. One may run great and catch alot of fish. However you may get one thats the same color, size, shape,and has the same demensions as the first but won't catch many fish. It's a matter of what the fish sees and if he wants that bait.
Have had some good baits that would catch good fish on most occasions that got lost in the woods ! Have tried to replace these good baits with those that weren't so good. They were the same type,shape, weight, and had all the characteritics of the bait that got lost. They wouldn't produce. Wish I still had some of the good baits.
Old 04-11-06, 05:18 PM   #17
Bass Ackwards

I guess I'll re-consider when I work my way up to a $350 rod, I'll likely have to get divorced before I have that decision to make : )
Bass Ackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 06:37 PM   #18
Sluggo
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Ackwards
I was watching a video of Skeet Reese at the San Mateo International Sportsmens Exposition (http://www.westernbass.tv/videopage.php?0000239) he was saying if you pull the line tight and snap it (like a bow) your bait will become un snag.

On my last trip I got a nasty snag and decided to give it a try, and to my surprise it worked. As long as this works continues to work 80% of the time I'll save my money.
I do that everytime get hung you save your fishing water if it works and it usually does. I saw Jim Bitter do it in 93 BP top 100 on the potomac.
Old 04-12-06, 06:58 PM   #19
crankybait

wait i dont get it. what exactly do you mean? sorry, its kinda hard to get it and i really dont want to go thru 60 minutes of video
Old 04-12-06, 07:03 PM   #20
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thumbs up

cranky its a old indian trick(no pun intended)
When crappie anglers used to get hung up in the brush with thier gold hooks and jigs, they would tighten the line and "pluck" it like a guitar string.
The action sometimes free'd the hooks off the timber...bass fishermen do the same , when they get hungup(like with a tubebait) , they flip thier line and try to get the hook unsnagged. It works sometimes , sometimes you have to get a heavy weight and slide it down your line to free up the hook.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 09:30 PM   #21
crankybait

hmm it makes me think that youd be digging it in deeper, then sending down a vibration. you know what, i think i should get the bps lure retriever. 7 bucks isnt that much
Old 04-13-06, 06:51 AM   #22
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul
8 miserable dollars is what a good lure retriever is worth, just ask me if itīs worth it............. I hung up my brand new Megabass Bait X concept crank on the third cast, you really crap a brick when you hang up a 25 dollars crankbait but if you ainīt fishing them where they are in danger of hanging them up you ainīt feechin them in the right place, picked up my trusty lure retriever and I got it back with a 10 pound log still attached to it.

Iīve saved hundreds of dollars worth in crankbaits with a miserable investment of 8 dollars.
I use 2 lure retrievers. One is the extending pole type that I only het out when the first doesnt work which is a rig posted by none other than the ZOOKSTER. A 2 ounce bell sinker with a clip that I can attach to the line. 90% of the time I dont have to get the pole out. A couple of bounces with the sinker and wholla her comes my lure. $5 and I got enough lure retrievers to last a couple of years. I have never tied on a lure cause it was outta tune. Take the time to tune it and keep fishing.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.