Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-09, 05:41 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default GPS Finder , or Aqua Vu ?

I have an older hummingbird fish finder. It works ok I guess. I would like to have something newer , with GPS. Any suggestions ? Brands , models ? Or should I keep my old sounder and get an Aqua Vu ? I want to learn more on the lakes I fish...I would really , really like to have the Lowrance Structure Scan... Maybe I should go ahead and get the Lowrance HDS 7 ? then the Structure Scan can be added right ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-09, 06:06 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Yep. You can add the Structure Scan later. I heard it's a $700 add-on, if you do it yourself.
Old 11-25-09, 07:42 PM   #3
CMorg

Thats alot of money...but I suppose worth it. You know how hard it is going to be to win any local tourneys if everyone starts to get these ?
Old 11-25-09, 07:48 PM   #4
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

As far as the HDS goes I wouldnt get the 7 id go with the 5 instead. Its a big jump in price for not much of a difference, the 8 is where things start to change and you really get what you pay for, you will see this if you get the chance to play with them but again this is just my opinion. As far as catching fish with them goes one thing is for sure with the structure scan you will be able to find the cover alot better now catching the fish is still the same!
Old 11-25-09, 09:04 PM   #5
zooker

ok a word on the aque view.. in clear water viewing range is around 6-8 feet. in muddy water or after dark viewing range is 2-3 feet. infared and all that aint worth jack..

another thing it takes TWO guys to operate the camera from a boat.. one with some kind of handle -like a lure retriver- the other to operate the boat.. i have heard from a bunch of guys tring it alone to get more help..

we tested in clear water but there was two of us.. we dropped it down 54 feet along a bridge pilling.due to the slight currant in a resevior. we had a he!! of a time tring to keep the pilling in sight..

not worth my money thanks...

zooker
Old 11-25-09, 09:19 PM   #6
CMorg

10-4 Zook , I appreciate the input. So , then is the Lowrance HDS5 Still capable of using the Structure Scan ? And , can I have a transducer on the back , and on my TM , and just switch the 5 around ?
Old 11-25-09, 09:38 PM   #7
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

All HDS are LSS capable and you can mount the ducer where ever with the proper supplies.
Old 11-26-09, 12:50 AM   #8
Bender

I have an AquaVu and like Zooker said it really doesn't see too far. It was really neat to actually see fish swim up to it, but when it broke I decided not to pay to get it fixed. For ice fishing I think they would be great.

Remember with the Lowrance or HB side and down imaging transducers that you have to mount them in the water, not through the hull. I was looking at these the other day just to compare and for LEI it would cost: HDS8-$1,899 + LSS-$599=$2,498. HB 997cSI-$1,499+$150 map chip=$1,649. Both with down and side imaging within 2 months. (All prices from Cabelas and the Lowrance has 120 more vertical pixels with square screen)
I'm not affiliated at all with HB, just a happy customer and honestly I have not had a chance to use the StructureScan so I can't say how it works.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-09, 10:09 AM   #9
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I have an AquaVu and like Zooker said it really doesn't see too far. It was really neat to actually see fish swim up to it, but when it broke I decided not to pay to get it fixed. For ice fishing I think they would be great.

Remember with the Lowrance or HB side and down imaging transducers that you have to mount them in the water, not through the hull. I was looking at these the other day just to compare and for LEI it would cost: HDS8-$1,899 + LSS-$599=$2,498. HB 997cSI-$1,499+$150 map chip=$1,649. Both with down and side imaging within 2 months. (All prices from Cabelas and the Lowrance has 120 more vertical pixels with square screen)
I'm not affiliated at all with HB, just a happy customer and honestly I have not had a chance to use the StructureScan so I can't say how it works.

I assume you mean within two months because hummingbird doesnt have down scan yet right ? So , you do have the Hummingbird ?
Old 11-26-09, 12:42 PM   #10
Bender

Yes, I got a 997 last spring. I will say that I like the 2D sonar on the Lowrance better than on the HB, but I have not played with the settings for 2D on the HB. There is just a big price difference since the LSS unit adds $600. If it was $150-250 then it might not be a big deal, but $600 is a lot. I did just read that you can use one LSS unit for more than one sonar unit on the network so that is a really good thing.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-09, 03:05 PM   #11
CMorg

You can also get a cheaper HDS unit to offset some of that price. Like an HDS 5 instead of the 8.
Old 11-26-09, 07:28 PM   #12
nofearengineer

Is the Humminbird Side Imaging networked? What I mean is, if I get the structure scan unit, both HDS units, bow and helm can use it at the same time. I don't know a lot about the HB's, and am wondering if they are the same way.

Cmorg...there are basically two different levels of functionality in the HDS line. The HDS-5 and 7 are basically the same unit with different screens. The HDS-8 and 10 will do some extra things, along with having larger screens, obviously.
Old 11-26-09, 09:41 PM   #13
CMorg

I see , so maybe the HDS8 is best then.... I would like to get one of the two. Then we can go find some of those brush piles at boggs , and maybe some sunglasses . Alright , I know thats getting old. Ive already wore that out I know... But seriously , man we could find some spots to fish..

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.