Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-07, 07:08 AM   #1
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Switching to Flouro....

Guys you've all been very helpfull on your flouro recommendations....what tackle adjustments such as knots...rods...etc do you have to take into account?
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-07, 08:21 AM   #2
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

nothing dont think too much into this just go fishing the biggest thing you need to keep in the back of your head is that flouro sinks.
Old 07-09-07, 08:39 AM   #3
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPACA View Post
Guys you've all been very helpfull on your flouro recommendations....what tackle adjustments such as knots...rods...etc do you have to take into account?
Beep,

Knots are going to be even more critical than other types of line.
Rule One: ALWAYS moisten (See: Slobber. See: Liberally.) on the knot as you draw it tight. Friction generates considerable heat, especially in fluoro, and that weakens the line to a great extent.
Rule Two: When tying any knot, but especially the "preferred" knot...the Palomar, be certain that there is NO twist in the open loop BEFORE you pass the hook/lure through it. NONE!
Rule Three: When tightening the (moistened!) knot, be certain that it hasn't slipped over and is being tightened at the tiny gap where the eye of the hook is formed.
Rods? Same as always, the best you can afford. Unlike braid, fluoro DOES stretch and does NOT greatly enhance sensitivity. I know that some believe that it does not stretch much and/or that it is almost braid-like in sensitivity but quite the opposite has been proven.
CAUTION: If you are prone to backlashes you might not want to use pure fluoro. It is very vulnerable to kinking and the resultant breakage. I know one friend, seemingly jinxed by the backlash fairy, who has had numerous lures snap off, never to be seen again, just on the cast. This caused by kinks incurred in the course of clearing 'lashes. He's suffered the same catastrophic failures on hooksets for the same reason.
A suggestion: Instead of breaking the bank to purchase pure fluoro, buy a spool of P-Line FloroClear (No "u" in spelling.) This is a cofilament that affords reduced visibility, less vulnerability to kinking (at least in my experience.), and sinks a bit quicker than plain mono or braid.
I use it for ALL applications except for topwater plugs (mono, 'cause you don't want a sinking line,) and most soft plastic/jig work, Buzzzzzzzzzzbaits, frog and toads, wherefor I use braid (with a pure fluoro leader for the "Slow" lures.)
So, if it's a Crankbait, 'Trap, Jerkbait, Small spinnerbait, or maybe a 1/8 oz jig or grub, FloroClear gets the call. If you just won't do braid, then FloroClear is going to serve well in the other areas as well, except for slow frawgs and most topwater. It costs less, is more durable, and is well-mannered on the spool.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-07, 11:05 AM   #4
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I tie a Jam knot on just about everything I use. Especially with Fluorocarbon line. I've been using this knot for the last 3 years. I never knew what it was called tell I saw Jason Quinn talk about it on BassFan.com. This is a great knot that I've had good success with. It is stronger than a Trilene knot (friend of mine proved it at a show). Here's a link to Jason Quinn as he shows how to tie it.

Eric
http://www.bassfan.com/tv_play.asp?id=86
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.