Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-07, 03:26 PM   #1
thebus71h
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h
Default Summit Lake in Indiana

I have an open tournament this Saturday, and never fished this lake. From what I've been told, the water is fairly clear, but with LOTS of grass, and from looking at a topographical map, it isn't very deep (about 30 feet in the center), and along the banks out about 12 feet it drops off to about 10 feet.

It's a night tournament (6pm to 2am). Anybody got any big tips that's fished this lake before? I've been told it's a lot like Whitewater Lake in Liberty, and to fish fairly close to the same stuff, and style.
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-07, 07:58 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Never fished it, but being a night tourney, all black topwater around flats, with the grass would be my first choice.

Lizards
Old 07-12-07, 11:46 PM   #3
keithdog

I've never fished that lake, but here in NW Indiana, the pattern that is working best for me right now is a white spinnerbait worked in the grass, and a medium diving crankbait worked in the deeper weeds. The jointed Shad Rap from Rapala has been a killer lately here.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-07, 09:11 AM   #4
thebus71h

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h

Would you be weary of running the white spinnerbait during the night? I guess I've just got it in my head that every bait needs to be dark, not true I'm guessing?
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-07, 12:52 PM   #5
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Its proven that fish can see darker baits better at night, because they see the bait [and heres a word that i can never spell] sillhoetted up against the surface, which will naturaly be lighter due to the moon or other lights etc etc. BUT, this doesnt mean they cant see lighter color baits. But i would stick to darker color that make a lot of noise and displace a lot of water.
Old 07-13-07, 11:51 PM   #6
keithdog

I have great luck with a white spinnerbait at night and have noo idea why. I think it's the fact that they can be used about anywhere, and they give off enough vibration for the bass to zero in on. I recently posted a pic of a bass close to 5 pounds caught on a white spinnerbait after dark. I would assume a dark colored spinnerbait would work after dark too, just never had a need for one. The white seems to work fine.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-07, 11:56 PM   #7
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

The darker bait for night goes more for topwaters, but I like the idea for soft plastics as well. BUt with cranks and spinnerbaits it really doesnt matter, as long as it displaces enough water, throws off enough vibrations, and makes enough noise.
Old 07-15-07, 12:27 PM   #8
Bass'n'cast

summit lake is that near angola ? well i found this it was a report on a night tourney. Subject: summit lake, Indiana

Submitted by Wrestlersdad (ip 68.51.73.85)

Date Fished: 6/22/2005
Water Temperature: 76
Water Clarity: 4 feet or greater

Fished wed night tourney 6-22-05 perfect weather caught several fish had 4 keepers my big fish 4-13 12 lbs total. tourney 5-9 pm we beached boat at 9 pm and was informed we were disqualified that we were late showed tourney director time on our cell phones was 9 pm and all he could say was sorry boys. this is redneck ran tourney and i advise all not to fish in it waste of time and money a little over 6 lbs won tourney and big fish that won was a little over 3 lbs. lake is producing nice on jigs and worms i did well on grape black and junebug fished texas rig and carolina rig used zoom products
Bass'n'cast is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.