Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-06, 05:28 PM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Opinions wanted . . .

Last year I purchased my first baitcaster. By the end of the season, I pretty much got the hang of it. However, I am not happy with the rod that I purchased (a BPS Pro Qualifier). When I purchased my baitcasting rod, I thought I would use it for stickbaits. Turns out, I couldn't get a good hookset with the baitcaster.

Anyway, my latest revelation is that perhaps a baitcaster would be good for throwing crankbaits. I am happy with my reel (a Shimano Chronarch) but need some advice/recommendations as to what rod would work well for throwin' cranks. Any suggestions regarding brands, size (6'6 versus 7'), and Medium versus Medium/Heavy? Anyone fond of the BPS Crankin' Stick? Or do I need to drop some cash and by a Loomis?
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 05:35 PM   #2
KH.

the pro qualifier is actually agood rod.just the one you had wasnt meant for the situation you were fishing it too.as far as cranking goes,i like 6-6
medium.try the david fritts rod,he is the by all means the crankbait god
Old 01-16-06, 05:45 PM   #3
Wishing2BFishing

Default kh51, more questions for ya

When it comes to spinning, I prefer the MH rods and usually pair up with a 4000 reel (Stradic or Sustain). That said, should this guide my selection of a baitcasting rod (MH instead of the M). I appreciate your help.
Old 01-16-06, 05:46 PM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd keep the same baitcaster and rod and put more emphasis on your hookset. Make a consicious effort to point the rod tip exactly towards the bait and have the rodtip down towards the water before "crossing her eyes" with the hookset from hell.
Depending on what line you use, get to know how much stretch is there and make the appropriate adjustments to your hookset.
What happens to many anglers is the excitement of the "tap" or "hit" that the fail to get the mechanics of a good hookset in... really the best way to improve your mechanics is to take a more seasoned bass fisherman with you and observe your habits, and make improvements... I thought I had it down till my first summer of tournies, boyyyyy did I learn!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 05:49 PM   #5
crankybait

hey jb, what if you were using those ultimate luresavers things? they let go if your rod it pointing directly at the fish and you pull.
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 05:51 PM   #6
Wishing2BFishing

Default thanks jb

I will admit that my hookset on the baitcaster could improve . . . that is one reason I think that the baitcaster may work best for me for crankin' since the fish hook themselves. Do you have any recommendations on a good rod for crankin?
Old 01-16-06, 05:59 PM   #7
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

Check Out Binns Brothers Rods. Get The 7'6" Medium Lite Rod Best Crankbait Rod Ive Ever Felt.
Old 01-17-06, 08:46 PM   #8
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing
Last year I purchased my first baitcaster. By the end of the season, I pretty much got the hang of it. However, I am not happy with the rod that I purchased (a BPS Pro Qualifier). When I purchased my baitcasting rod, I thought I would use it for stickbaits. Turns out, I couldn't get a good hookset with the baitcaster.

Anyway, my latest revelation is that perhaps a baitcaster would be good for throwing crankbaits. I am happy with my reel (a Shimano Chronarch) but need some advice/recommendations as to what rod would work well for throwin' cranks. Any suggestions regarding brands, size (6'6 versus 7'), and Medium versus Medium/Heavy? Anyone fond of the BPS Crankin' Stick? Or do I need to drop some cash and by a Loomis?
First off I have a opnion for everything LMAO, and so does everyone else. What is the rod you have? BPS Pro Qualifier what? Is it a 6'6" Medium with a moderate action? If so that's a good rod IMO. I would use it and see. JB is probably used 10 million more cranks than me, but what works for me is a 6'6" Medium rod with a Moderate tip. I use the rod and drag to fight the fish on cranks. It's the only time I don't (as Bassintom says) SKI the fish to the boat. My rod of choice is a St Croix, but lots of manufacturers are good. A MH rod for worming or c-rig, weightless, t-rig, m-rig for me. My rod loads up nicely on the fish, and I use Powerpro as line(no-stretch) so I can get the cranks deeper, with the thinner diameter, I don't lose cranks(30lb line) however I do bend a lot of hooks This works well for me, tons of folks will disagree though.

Lizards
Old 01-18-06, 12:28 AM   #9
Rebbasser

As lizards says, everyone has an opinion. I use 2: A 7' Falcon Low rider for the big cranks like a DD22, and an AllStar GT2 for small lipped baits and lipless baits. Both are composite rods-a graphite butt section with a fiberglass tip. The glass has more give to it to keep from oulling the hooks out. If you go with a medium action you should be fine.
Old 01-18-06, 09:12 AM   #10
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Rod's are somewhat speacifically designed to handle particular baits, wieghts, and methods of fishing. Not everyone can afford (speacially young persons) all the different speacialty rods. A medium rod with moderate action (IMO) is particularly good with small light crankbaits and the smaller rogues. But don't have enough oomph (on the hookset) when throwing a bigger rogue. Graphite rods tend to be better for what I call "feel baits" such as a TR worm, jig and pig, and so on. Some rods cross over fairly well between several presentation styles and baits. I don't really suggest a G-loomis crankin' rod except for the cheapest one which does well for the cranks I like to throw like killer b1's, honey b's, Rogues (but didn't throw them very well untill I modified it by breaking two inches of the tip). Since then it's been a better rod over all. Handles 1/2 oz. rattletraps like a dream. I do recomend getting rods that are 6'6". They really aid in the hook set and getting fish out and up from cover as well as allowing a lot more controll of the fish during a fight. I been building rods for 16 yrs. now I can say it pays to get a higher quality rod but even then many manufacturers don't spline the rods properly. A soft graphite rod works well with large stick and jerk baits as does a MH or Hvy. glass composite rod. What works best is really and individual preference. To this day the best rod I've ever used for a spook was a 6'6" Mh Rhino rod built back in '90 or '91. It belonged to a guy I used to fish with. So expensive isn't always the answer. I used to use nothing but ugly sticks for spinner baits and cranks. But these wiegh a ton and don't handle the light stuff very well at all. Not to mention the reel seats suck. Do some research and reading, and try other peoples equipment before you invest a lot of hard in cabbage in the high dollar rods. Talk to rod builders at local tackle shops too, they can teach you a lot about the science and physic's behind why a particular series of rods work well with particular baits. No one rod is the "right" rod for the same bait and presentation for every angler.
Old 01-18-06, 12:39 PM   #11
basser087
BassFishin.Com Member

I fish Loomis rods and they are sweet! You don't have to go for GLX to have an awesome rod just buy the GL2 and you're set. You pay around $130 when you buy the rod but if you ever break it you pay $50 and you get a brand new one. Now that's a deal.
basser087 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.