Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-08, 09:16 AM   #1
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Help. Motor won't start

My Merc on the bass boat wouldn't start yesterday on the lake. Had to be pulled in.

Symptoms: It started as usual off the ramp and half a dozen times durning the day then I try to start it and all of a sudden it won't turn over. When I turn the key on the gauges all work and the tilt and trim works fine. I hear one click at the motor when I turn the key on. That's it. FYI, the 24 volt Trolling Motor is separate from the big motor. 2 batteries for the TM and a separate Starting battery for the big motor, accessories and tilt and trim.

Any thing simple I can look for before hauling it 60 miles to a mechanic? Thanks.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 10:16 AM   #2
ally260
BassFishin.Com Member

Have someone turn tha key ta start, listen for a "click" and check tha starter side pole on tha solinoid for 12v+/-a couple. If ya got voltage there ya got a starter problem. No "click" ya need ta turn ta start and check for voltage on tha yellow/red on tha solinoid in tha start position. Check your grounds ............ T

JAS...Invest in a good Mercury manual ta help with savin' tha 60 mile trips. Money well spent

Last edited by ally260; 06-01-08 at 10:23 AM.
ally260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 10:54 AM   #3
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

well sounds like you have a dead cranking battery or a weak one..check the connections and always take a set of jumper cables on the boat.. so you can jump off your accessories battery..
MrPhotographer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 11:31 AM   #4
ally260
BassFishin.Com Member

Your absolutly right 'bout tha battery. Just got ahead of myself thinkin' that would have already been checked at tha first sign of a startin' problem..............T
Old 06-01-08, 01:08 PM   #5
Jigger

Thanks guys for the responses. Don't assume anything with me. A mechanic, or even mechanically inclined, I ain't.

Would the tilt and trim and the gauges work if the cranking battery were bad??

Last edited by Jigger; 06-01-08 at 01:10 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 06-01-08, 01:43 PM   #6
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Possibly, it takes a lot of juice to crank the motor - less to run anything else (like a gauge). I say that even though bear in mind my boat doesnt have a plethora of gauges.

First thing I would have done is pick up on of your deep cycles and carried it to the back. Hook it up as your starter battery. Does that fix the problem?

If not check your wires. Are they all in good shape? All connections tight? A loose connection could cause the problem you are describing.

I'm not positive, but if the solenoid were bad I dont think you would hear a click from the starter. When I first got my boat this year, and the wiring wasnt hooked up, I actually would start her just by taking the negative power cable that came directly from the starter and attatching that to the negative terminal, then I'd take the positive cable directly from the starter and kiss the top of the positive terminal and it would start it. All a solenoid does is it switches on a lot of juice.

Either way I don't think your problem sounds that severe. Sounds a lot like the battery still.
Old 06-01-08, 02:22 PM   #7
MrPhotographer06

yep.. if youve ever had a almost dead car battery.. thats the deciever.. the lights come on, gauges radio.. and it wont turn over
Old 06-01-08, 03:36 PM   #8
zooker

it could be a couple things. a dead battery being the first. a low oil sensor or a loose wire. bad connetion on the starter -check starter bolts-

here is a question jiggy

when did ya put a charge on the crank battery last??

zooker
Old 06-01-08, 05:12 PM   #9
ally260
BassFishin.Com Member

WTL, its unusual but it can happen. Contact surfaces on tha inside get burned and/or carboned up and won't make good contact. I guess what thru me off was tha "tilt and trim was workin' fine". Trim motor sound has always been a dead giveaway ta battery gettin' weak but tha motor would still start and get me back ta tha ramp.
He should be able ta find it though. Its gotta be something fairly easy ta locate especially since all tha suggestions from tha guys covers about everything it could be.

Ain't this a good crowd, Jigger ..............T
Old 06-01-08, 11:39 PM   #10
Rebbasser

Start with the simple-check the battery. If that isn't it move on to the starter.
Old 06-02-08, 07:26 AM   #11
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

Is the kill switch hooked up?
Old 06-02-08, 09:27 AM   #12
Jigger

Thumbs up

Thanks guys for all the advice. I charged the battery and still no luck. I took the cowling off and looked for loose wires and checked the fuse which was good. The first thing I checked on the water was the kill switch. That's about the extent of my ability. I've got a guy coming to look at it today. He does some minor outboard repair on the side. He's an auto mechanic full time. I had forgotten about him. He did some outboard work for me years ago and I was pleased with him. Hope I don't have to haul it 60 miles to a boat dealer. My guy thinks it sounds like a starter solinoid (sp?). I'll let ya'll know the results. I appreciate you.
Old 06-02-08, 08:29 PM   #13
Jigger

My mechanic just left. The bendix was stuck in the up position and wouldn't allow the motor to turn over. He just stuck a screw driver under the bendix and twisted it and it fell down to the start postition. He said lets not do anything just yet and see if it happens again. He showed me how to free it if it happens again. He turned it over numerous times and everything worked well. How do YOU spell "RELIEF"????
Old 06-02-08, 08:51 PM   #14
MrPhotographer06

wow.. congrats...at least it was something simple and he told you how to fix it
Old 06-02-08, 09:22 PM   #15
bamabassman

congrats, i just replaced my starter on the cajun a couple weeks ago. and now have to replace the transpnder. ouch boat monkey, this is starting to hurt!! another 70 bucks? please , please, just let me fish a little while. i'll go to the store again, PROMISE!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-08, 11:23 PM   #16
Basscrazie

If the battery was low on charge the bendix would stick on the flywheel.If it happens again ck the battery voltage.Low voltage will not start an outboard on mos cases.Good luck.Take a pair of jump cables for peace of mind.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-08, 07:03 AM   #17
ally260
BassFishin.Com Member

+1, but cables might be dangerous .............T
Old 06-05-08, 06:02 AM   #18
1FASTLASER

Also I want to add that you need to find someone that can test the starter and also load test the battery. Simple tests with the right equipment and also may help from doing any damage to your motor
Old 06-08-08, 10:27 AM   #19
Jigger

Thumbs up

Thanks to all who helped and replied!!!!!
Old 06-21-08, 12:23 PM   #20
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default kill switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintom View Post
Is the kill switch hooked up?
that happened to us the motor would try to crank but would never do it. then we flipped it and it fired right up
Old 06-21-08, 01:45 PM   #21
MrPhotographer06

yep.. that'll get you.. if you have a lanyard system and it gets old.. and brittle it'll start hanging up and if you bump it it screws.. i have the toggle switch on mine and its right in a good spot so i'm stickin with it
Old 06-22-08, 06:19 AM   #22
1FASTLASER

Jigger ok what was the end result bud.?????
Old 06-23-08, 10:10 PM   #23
GreenF350
BassFishin.Com Member

I had the bendix sticking up on my motor shortly after I replaced the powerhead (starter was off the old one). It would stay up even with the motor running. I JUST got back from a buddies house that had the same problem (amongst a few others). Both times taking the bendix off and greasing the splines it runs on cured the problem. THis was on Evinrudes both times and I'm not familiar with Merc's, but if it happens again this may be something to look into also.
-Aaron
GreenF350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.