Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-08, 05:52 PM   #1
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Looking for New Depth Finder

Hey Guy! I am looking at buying a new depth finder but wanted to get some info on what you thought were the better ones. I wont be doing any other fishing besides for Bass.

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Mark
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-08, 07:04 PM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Just wondering what type of money are you looking to spend? Do you want just the finder or do you want a combo w/GPS as well?
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-08, 08:31 PM   #3
Bender

Right now my next one will probably be a Hummingbird 997si NVB. One of my friends is holding one for me right now, but I'm debating between paying off the last of my wife's college or getting that..........
Keep in mind you will need 2 transducers because the SI one needs to be mounted on the jackplate and is out of the water when running on plane so you need another one to shoot through the hull.
Lowrance has a new line coming out in the winter including their HD sonar, so if you are considering those then wait about 2 months. I bet when those come out the old 520 line will be sold a deep discounts too.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-08, 09:57 AM   #4
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Bender, I own the 997cSI and the shoot thru hull is not worth the $$ or the work, the side imaging transducer that comes with the unti will work fine and most of the time will pick up 2D sonar at speeds of around 30mph just as long as the water's not too rough. I have owned lowrance, eagle and now the humminbird unit...hands down the 997 is the best, it does cost a lot of dough, but in my opinion is worth every penny....it does everything and has tons of add-ons...I've learned more about my favorite lakes and reasons why I've caught fish in certain places...it truly changes the way you fish and cuts my pre-fish time in half
Old 11-21-08, 04:58 PM   #5
Eddie@Humminbird
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Through Hull Transducer

I have to disagree with the comment that our thru-hull puck transducer is not worth the time or $$$.
We run them every day here and they are every bit as accurate as any transom mounted transducer. I have also installed them on a ton of pro and customer's boats with zero complaints. If you want to run high speed and not damage your $200+ SI transducer then mount a XP 9 20 puck in the hull and attach it with our AS SIDB Y "Y" accessory cable. The unit knows to use the in-hull puck for 2D and the Transom SI for SI viewing.
Most bad experiences with thru-hull transducers can be traced to incorrect install location or poor location prep. The area must be as far back and centered as possible. Sand, sand, sand the area and clean with solvent. Use SLOW cure expoxy liberally and press down hard to remove any air bubbles.
Follow these instructions and you will have good reading from ours and anyones in-hull transducers.
Eddie@Humminbird
Eddie@Humminbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-08, 07:47 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

I agree 100% with eddie. Shoot through hull transducers for running are the best in ,y opinion and if installed properly are INFALLABLE. I have done hundreds of installs and knock on wood so far ZERO problems. As he stated a CLEAN, CLEAN and did I mention CLEAN mounting system centered up and as far back as possible and you can run 100 or 1 mph and get good clean clear signals AND all this without the fear of if you fish where I do you can pretty well forget kncoking the trabs off. This type of mounting will also let you know that if all of a sudden your screen goes blank of starts to get weird readings a transducer will be the least of your problems..............LOL you will be worried about whether or not you installed big enough bilge pumps.
Old 11-30-08, 01:59 PM   #7
Bob Smith

I still hope to have one of the SI units some day! Those things are nice IF YOU USE THEM! Several guys I know (who have more money than good sense) have them front and back on the boats. When they first got the units they played with them a lot, but now they spend most of the time in 2D.
As far as Eddie's suggestion, I think that is the best suggestion hands down. Both the through the hull for 2D and the transom mount for the SI. Lowrance does not have a side imaging unit (yet), but they do have tranducer switches so that you can flip back and forth between transom mounter skimmers and through the hull pucks if a potential 10% -20% signal loss is present. As 1FL stated, a clean installation is paramount for a good signal through the hull! Even then, there will be some signal loss and it usually appears as minor surface clutter. Most units automatically compensate for this and the units work fine. Mine is through the hull, coming from Texas with all the timber there really was no other option.

I am one of the last gray-line guys without GPS (I hope to change that this year). I have had such good service out of my Lowrance X-87 and X-97 units that I have had no real good reasons to upgrade. My only reason for thinking about it now is the winter drawdowns on the Georgia lakes reveal so many brush and rock piles that I would like to catalogue those places for summer fishing.
Old 11-30-08, 03:53 PM   #8
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bob you ain't the only one..Still using the older lowrance x75&x70&have the x20 also..Man i need to update soon but can still read these fair but there is no comparison to the new stuff.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.