Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-08, 05:12 PM   #1
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Float n' fly

I've only tried this technique once with no success, but plan on fishing it more. All of the articles I've read they are using a 8 to 9 foot rod which I don't have and a 3-way swimvel. So instead of using a 3-way swivel, I just used a slip bobber to make casting possible. I know the setup isn't really correct, but I don't have the right rod to cast and work the jig. Can I get by by using a slip bobber and rigging it like a crappie rig, or do I loose action and presentation this way? Any tips would be great! Good fishin'
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-08, 08:21 PM   #2
Fish2win

No. It just doesnt work the same. Your down line needs to be 4 lb test due to the slowness of the presentation and the clear water. The last 6 weeks here the fish have hit the jig at 15 feet. Duck feather jigs work best. I use an 8 foot ML spinning rod with a Shamano Stradic. The reel has to be capable of back reeling. The jig needs to be 1/16 or no more than 1/8. Somethimes 1/16. Those light jigs wont pull the line down right with a slip float. Try this back cast like you would a fly rod. Listen very close as soon as you hear the jig hit the water behing you cast forward without allowing the jig to settle on the back cast. The 3 way swivel makes it better for attaching the float. Fish2win
Old 03-27-08, 09:36 PM   #3
fishin' fool

Thanks Fish2Win, I'll have to try it that way!
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 12:48 PM   #4
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I haven't tried it yet, but Fish2win's advice is very similar to the articles I've read about it. I'm glad you started this thread 'cause I keep forgetting to get the right bobbers and give it a try. They say it's killer for smallies in clearer water, and we have lots of both around here.
Old 03-28-08, 02:45 PM   #5
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've used it but don't like it. I always thaught is was little wimpy. I just can't help it. When i see the cheap bobber. I think were's the worms.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 09:51 PM   #6
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I tried to do as you did, adapt the concept to a more traditional spinning rig, and never had a bite with it. It is a phenomena in north tennessee though. I think I'm just gonna have to get a guide to show me at some point.
Old 03-29-08, 05:25 AM   #7
Fish2win

I dont know about where you guys are but its getting a little late in the year for the FnF to work here/ It is for suspened bass that are not active. 2 weeks ago a buddy of mine had a 4.5 and 4.7 smallie on it but once the fish go pre spawn its over. We catch as many largemouth or Ky spotted bass with it as we do Smallies. The biggest keys are getting the right depth and location.,steeper 45 degree banks are best usually, and dont over work the jig,
The reason the slip float does not work is because the 1/32 or 1/16 oz jig wont pull down. You do not have to use the 3 way swivel. I know lots of guys that dont. They just set the float at the depth and eliminate the extra knots. I use the swivel and then a 4 pound leader. The ML rod is to fight the fish. With 4 lb test you dont power a 4 or 5 lb smallie.The biggest smallie I have caught on teh FnF was 6 but I have seen 7 and 8s that others cauugt. I have used this method at Norris, Cherokee, South Holston and Dale. All are full of giant smallies. I dont start usuing this method until the water temps drop below 48 and stay there for a while. It is best in late January or Feb here. Somethimes it last into March depending on the weather. It is not the only method that works that time of year it is just another method that can work.
Right now I am catching smallies on a 1/8 oz pig and jig in 3 to 6 feet of water along rock ledges. They will be on Jerkbaits or floating worms anytime . The full moon in April will put them on the bed. Thats the way it transitions here.
Sometimes when the water is 45 degrees and the fish are suspended a small hair fly tipped with a pork stip is just as good as the FnF. We call that the fly and rind in East Tennessee. Fish2win
PS the object is to float the fly suspended just above the fish. The float is used to do this. Once you realize that you are trying to make the fly suspend as if floating at a exact depth the method becomes easy.I think the original term was floating fly but East Tennesse galic influenced redneck made it come out float n fly

Last edited by Fish2win; 03-29-08 at 11:32 AM.
Fish2win is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.