Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-08, 07:46 PM   #1
hvachris
BassFishin.Com Member

Default need advice

I bought a boat that needs work. I bought a 1989 gambler 20 ft single console it currently has a 1978 mercury 150 on it here are where my problems lie the boat originally had a suzuki this merc is wired with wire nuts not harnesed 2nd the power tilt&trim is no good. my first question is how well do you think a 150hp will move this boat and is this motor worth getting fixed? thanks
hvachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 01:15 AM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

my buddy had a Gambler from about that time and his came with a 150. I forget his max speed but I think it was either 74 or 78. Don't know about your other issues, sorry.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 09:11 AM   #3
ally260
BassFishin.Com Member

Tha little "first" generation 2 liter is as close ta bullet proof as ya can get when taken care of. Tha early trim leaves a lot ta be desired though. Thats a pretty good load for tha little motor. Don't expect ta set tha water on fire.
What is tha trim NOT doin? Does it still have tha "thru bolts" in tha hyd lines?

T
ally260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 10:13 AM   #4
hvachris
BassFishin.Com Member

the power tilt and trim has no pump and the thru bolts hyd are snapped off the previous owner brought it to a marina and they told him that he needed to get a whole new unit. I do not need to set the water on fire as long as it will run on pad or plane thanks for your replys guys
Old 07-06-08, 11:26 AM   #5
ally260
BassFishin.Com Member

Here's ya startin' point. If tha motor is healthy, trim workin' its worth 'bout a grand. Boats to big for tha older 2.0 motor. Just my nickel, for whatever its worth. .............T

GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY MEN AND WOMEN!
Old 07-06-08, 04:30 PM   #6
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally260 View Post
Here's ya startin' point. If tha motor is healthy, trim workin' its worth 'bout a grand. Boats to big for tha older 2.0 motor. Just my nickel, for whatever its worth. .............T

GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY MEN AND WOMEN!
I am with alley on this one. The motor itself is a great fishin mota just aint got the torque for a 20ft gambler. Save yourself some grief and time wrenching and put a more appropiate motor on it. A 200 2.5 litre motor is MUCH more the motor you need. Its got the torque to get the job done.
Old 07-06-08, 07:21 PM   #7
hvachris
BassFishin.Com Member

what do you guys think I could sell the whole rig for I don't have 15 k for a 200 hp motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010162_edited.JPG
Views:	508
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	2447  
Old 07-06-08, 08:23 PM   #8
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

naaawwwww. you can find another motor, used, but they are out there. trade up pal.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 08:40 PM   #9
ally260
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree, especially if like tha boat. Even a later model 2.5 150 like an XR6 or similar would work on it. Tha key is being a 2.5 motor. They are out there if your not needin' it by yesterday. A good 2.4 175 or 200 would work also. You just have ta be real careful buyin' used................T
Old 07-07-08, 05:20 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Dangit I wish you was a hole lot closer bud. We could hook up on this boat thing. Thats a boat I always did like and the motors around here come fairly respectable for todays prices. So what are you trying to do now .......sell the whole boat or repower ?????Let us know what ya wanna do and I know I can pull a few strings closer to ya and maybe hook you up with a 2.5 mota. In the mean time get us some compression numbers on the lil 150 and we can help ya out with maybe selling dat one.
Old 07-07-08, 05:21 AM   #11
1FASTLASER

By the way if your contemplating selling that one a couple more shots of the boat are needed. One of each side and the interior as well as transom would be REAL nice.
Old 07-07-08, 04:19 PM   #12
hvachris
BassFishin.Com Member

thank's for the advice I think I might sell my other boat to help repower the gambler. my other boat is a 16 ft bass with a 115 tops out at 65 gps

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.