Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-08, 11:57 PM   #1
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default serious tournament question...

Friends, I have a tournament coming up Saturday and I'd like to throw this by you all. It is on my "home water", Smith Mountain Lake in VA. I'll be fishing with a power fisherman who throws a lot of cranks and spinners and covers a lot of water fast. Very KVD style angler and a great guy. I, however, have a more thorough approach and like to throw more plastics. I'm ok with cranks and the like, but they're difficult to use correctly from the back of a fast boat because of tracking problems, etc. Other than just trolling, does anyone have some suggestions? I think I'm a little too close to the issue and it's starting to wear me down already...

Thanks

-Pig
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 01:20 AM   #2
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Swine,

Been there. Done that. Acquired the casual upper garment.

There are several approaches I've employed with varying degrees of success.
First, you might ask if the two of you might have a friendly confab re tactics. If he is amenable to same then you might remind him that Smith is your home lake and that you are experienced re what might and might not be most productive. Suggest that you alternate the two approaches, giving each a reasonable period of testing, in order to have the best chance for mutual success. If he agrees to try this plan, for at least the first few hours of the tournament, then you'll both benefit.
Stress the advantages of fishing promising water thoroughly. If HE finds fish on the "Run 'n Gun" it stands to reason that stopping and raking the area in detail will offer better results.
If YOU luck into quality fish with the slower approach he ought to have sense enough to follow your example.
If he fails to comprehend your plan or just says "My way or the highway!" (I'd unload my gear and head for home, frankly, but that's just me. Life's too short to waste on knuckleheads, even if he wins the T his way.)...You might try heavier weights on your softies, casting AHEAD of the boat on the side he isn't fishing, and trying to get in a few hops as you pass. If you do this, I'd recommend larger profile softies and those with more inherent action...curly tail worms as opposed to straight ones, etc, to better your chances of a bite "on the fall". This won't be a shaky head affair.
You might employ a heavy dropshot rig; one that allows a quicker fall so that you get in a few jiggles as the boat steams past. Use a bit stiffer rod than usual and add more weight. Maybe a 1/2 oz? This will all depend on water depth.
Finally, when he's really leaning on the TM, simply toss what he's tossing, perhaps in different colors, and go with the flow.
Frankly, I hope you kick his a55.
Some folks, once they learn to slow down...realize that "Charging" the fish doesn't impress the critters and often spooks them...they are grateful for the lesson learned.
Good luck and be safe.

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 08:40 AM   #3
Jigger

I'm assuming this is a team tournament for purposes of this post. If yes, I don't really see a problem. I think fishing a soft plastic or a jig behind a spinnerbait or crank bait fisherman is a really good combination for a team/buddy tournament. Gives the fish 2 looks. Who says you have to "soak" a jig or plastic bait to get the fish to bite it???? Not me anyway. He's fishing for agressive fish and covering a lot of water which is a very good way to fish and wins lots of tournaments throughout the country. I just think you need to adjust your attitude and go with the flow and I mean that in a nice way.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 08:54 AM   #4
Nitro911

I rode with some pros in February as an observer in a tournament. I was surprised at how fast they fished even plastics. They would pitch to whatever structure it was, and the lure wasn't in the water any more than 10 seconds before they were reeling in to pitch again. Pitch, bump it twice, bring it in.

While it is true that I don't know your water, the water these guys were fishing I did know well. It is what I consider my home lake. I would have never fished it as fast as they did, but the weights they brought in spoke for themselves.

All of that was to say stick with your plastics, pick your spots well, and do what you do, but faster.
Old 06-19-08, 01:22 PM   #5
pignjig

Thanks for the centering, guys. This is a club tournament and I've fished with this fellow before-- That's why I pretty much know his style. Again, he's a good guy and salt of the earth. Right now, I'm sitting in 5th place in the club. Whatever happens I'll be happy and grateful just to be on the water. So, we'll see. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Pig
Old 06-25-08, 08:38 PM   #6
Nitro911

SO how did it go?
Old 06-25-08, 08:49 PM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'm sure if it went good, he would've told us. Although I could be wrong. Which happens quite often believe it or not

BB
Old 06-25-08, 11:19 PM   #8
pignjig

Well, Nitro & BB- I wallowed in ineptness in that tournament. Came in 9th out of 11. Other than first and second place, the bags were small. The difference between 3rd and 9th was less than one pound- very close bags. I got to fish with an alternate boater and not the power fisherman. It was a good time and no one got their eye put out. The best part was that the guy who won was about 80 years old and a non-boater, too. He came to weigh-in with two 5 pounders and three at three pounds each. A magnificent bag o' hawgs! I was dang happy for him. He caught every fish off the same point in 15'-20' of water using a big plum, t-rigged ribbon worm. You should have seen how proud that rascal was.......
Old 06-26-08, 02:39 AM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pignjig View Post
Well, Nitro & BB- I wallowed in ineptness in that tournament. Came in 9th out of 11. Other than first and second place, the bags were small. The difference between 3rd and 9th was less than one pound- very close bags. I got to fish with an alternate boater and not the power fisherman. It was a good time and no one got their eye put out. The best part was that the guy who won was about 80 years old and a non-boater, too. He came to weigh-in with two 5 pounders and three at three pounds each. A magnificent bag o' hawgs! I was dang happy for him. He caught every fish off the same point in 15'-20' of water using a big plum, t-rigged ribbon worm. You should have seen how proud that rascal was.......
that's what it's all about right there guys!!!

there is a guy in my club that is in his mid 80's and has more energy than any 18 year old i have ever seen. and although i want to catch my limit it does me good to see that ole son of a gun with a big bag, i know that it means more to him than it does me.........well probably not more but just as much in a different way.
Old 06-26-08, 11:43 AM   #10
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pignjig View Post
The best part was that the guy who won was about 80 years old and a non-boater, too. He came to weigh-in with two 5 pounders and three at three pounds each. A magnificent bag o' hawgs! I was dang happy for him. He caught every fish off the same point in 15'-20' of water using a big plum, t-rigged ribbon worm. You should have seen how proud that rascal was.......
The great thing about fishin', compared to any other sport I participate in, is that I truly root for other people to do well too... I love to see others catch fish almost as much as I like catching my own!

Thanks for the story....
Old 06-26-08, 05:23 PM   #11
bamabassman

great story swinie. hope when i get that old (if i make it,lol) maybe then i'll catch that 10 pounder. glad to hear he won. better luck for you on the next tourny pal.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 12:10 PM   #12
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Was this guy in the points chase ? I.e 6th place or better ?
Old 06-29-08, 12:40 PM   #13
pignjig

Yes and no, Bassnman. We're a pretty small club at around 14 or so any given year. A lot of the guys own their own contracting businesses and can't get away to fish every month. We also get to cull the two worst tournaments at the end of the year. So, even if a member sinks to a low spot he has a real chance at the Six Man if he pulls a great finish or two and as long as the top guys don't fish every tournament. Because of our size, though, it also works the other way. I was second at one point but have managed to drop to seventh in two tournaments. A couple bad weigh-ins and a missed tournament and it's hard to catch up. I'd really like to see this fellow stay in the top six and be a contender for the trophy. 'Course, I wouldn't mind finishing up there, myself...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.