Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-23-09, 08:33 PM   #1
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson
Default Which boat would you choose?

I'm planning on buying a grown up boat in the next year or so.
Which new bass boats would you pick in the under 10k/15k/20k price ranges?
Old 09-23-09, 09:02 PM   #2
Badfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Bass Tracker Pro 16 - (7.9K) or Nitro X4-(14k)

Im looking at both of those...maybe soon..

X4 ( http://www.nitro.com/boat/?boat=3106 )

PRO 16 ( http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3109 )

Last edited by Badfish; 09-23-09 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Websites
Badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 09:08 PM   #3
Forums Admin
Super Moderator

Badfish... Could you elaborate a bit as to why you like these boats? Thanks.
Forums Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 09:11 PM   #4
Badfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Sure...there in my price range. Short and sweet. I dont need alot, just something to get me on the water....im just shore casting right now and when I can get on a boat I do..
Old 09-23-09, 09:26 PM   #5
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish View Post
Bass Tracker Pro 16 - (7.9K) or Nitro X4-(14k)

Im looking at both of those...maybe soon..

X4 ( http://www.nitro.com/boat/?boat=3106 )

PRO 16 ( http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3109 )
I've looked at both of those as well. Seem well worth the money
Old 09-23-09, 09:29 PM   #6
Badfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
I've looked at both of those as well. Seem well worth the money

Yes they do, I've looked at other boats but these two fit well in my price range. And that both have some great features for the price also helps. If I had more cash to spend I might look into some Rangers or High End Nitros.
Old 09-24-09, 08:38 AM   #7
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Triton Explorers in the different sizes for the different prices: http://www.tritonboats.com/boat_detail_new.asp?bid=301

Of the boats in that class (Stratos, Nitro, Triton) these seem to the best built and have the most features. D&R down in Kalamazoo is a dealer for them I think and MIBasser on here has one, I'm sure he;d answer any questions you have.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 09:25 AM   #8
MIbasser

Mallen, Chris is right about the Triton Explorer. I think it's a great boat, under 20K above 15K and that's with the 90 and a GPS (which IMO you need to have!). I've been on pretty much all the big waters except the great lakes and Traverse Bay - but would do it if the weather was right. It's a great little riding boat and can be pulled with an Equinox.

I guess it depends on what you want to fish. If you are going to go big water I would go for a nice used boat in the 19' range. But if you are going to stick to smaller water and just fish (not tournaments) then a smaller 17' boat would be great.

I like glass boats. I think that they are much more stable than tin so if you are walking around you don't notice the side to side as much.

The last thing to think about is the tow vehicle. If you have a truck/large SUV then it would be easier to look at a 18'+ boat but if you don't then you may be limited to a tin or smaller glass boat.

Just to give you an idea this is what my front deck looks like when I'm fishing....

[IMG][/IMG]
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 09:42 AM   #9
nofearengineer

Mallen,

If you're dead set on buying new, by all means do it. Sometimes, it is nice to know there was no previous owner jack-arseing around with maintenance and driving it like a sled dog.

But I would seriously recommend you think about a 3-5 year old boat. I got my 5 year old rig with matching trailer for $13,000 (would have listed for around $22,000 new) in almost brand new condition. Carpet was pristine, no scratches, and the 115 Opti still runs like a top. 67lb troller, two fish finders, yada, yada, yada. Why not let someone else lose the 25% depreciation the second it drives off the lot?

MIBasser, you were mostly correct about glass boats being more stable than tin. However, stability has a lot more to do with physical dimensions of a boat than the material. My boat is "tin"..(actually stretch formed aluminum...looks just like glass), but because it has a 96" beam, it is actually more stable side to side than most glass boats. You're right though...most aluminum boats are narrow jon or panfish type hulls.

Additionally, Mallen...when you buy a boat, don't make the mistake I made. While I do love my boat, the 115 I have, which looked huge to the novice I was at the time, is not really enough power. Find out the hp rating of the hull, and don't accept anything very far below that in an outboard.
Old 09-24-09, 05:32 PM   #10
MallenManson

Great info, guys! The Tritons do look great!
As far as what I'll be fishing, it'll be a combination of small shallow to medium sized lakes.
Everything from Little Platte (max depth of 8'), to Crystal Lake, maybe even put in at Torch a time or two. Most of the nearby lakes are shallow, with Big Platte and Crystal being a couple of the exceptions.
I'd be nervous putting a Triton or similar in a lake like Dubonnet, due to all the stumps. Would that be much of an issue?
Also, I would like to fish some tourneys from time to time.
I don't have anything but a car at the moment, but I'd be buying a truck or SUV to haul the boat around.
I will definitely look into a used boat as well. In this economy, it'd be foolish not to. One of the big benefits buying new, for me, would be my total lack of knowledge on boats. If something was wrong with a used boat, I might not know it til it caught on fire in the middle of the lake.
Thanks guys! Like I said, I'm a year, maybe year and a half away from buying one, but being a boating newbie, I need time to prepare!
Old 09-24-09, 08:09 PM   #11
Abbeysdad

I agree with NoFear - a used boat has some advantages over a new boat, ESPECIALLY for a first boat. My 2002 Glastron SX170 SF (90HP Mercury OB/55# MinnKota TM) in EXCELLENT shape cost $9k - if new, would cost $25k plus. The key is finding a used boat that has been taken care of. I looked at a lot of used boats last year and many were in very poor shape.

Now on the one hand, you're right - a novice might get in trouble, but then buying a used boat in some ways is like buying a used car - you can tell volumes just by looking it over. Really important is the motor and if you're not sure, have it looked at by someone that is, even if you have to pay. As for hull, interior and such - well, you need to judge how much you might need to invest to restore and whether it's worth it.

I differ slightly on the HP points. My boat is rated for a max 150HP motor, but I think the 90HP works just fine for me - granted, it doesn't go over 40mph, but it pops up on plane nice (perhaps due to the SSV hull design) even fully loaded and I don't need it to win any races - I might feel differently if I was into tournament fishing, racing to the best spot(s) on the lake....but for my fishing and touring, it does fine.

I have to say that for the first six times out there was a lot of stress 'n nerves - launching, loading, maneuvering - it just wasn't fun. Now after a dozen trips out I LOVE IT and can't wait to put it in the water! ... AND I too love this boat but in the back of my mind, can see a time a couple of years out when I just might trade up - I figure that if I take care of it, it will return what I paid and make a nice down payment on the next shiny new man toy!
Old 09-24-09, 08:16 PM   #12
MallenManson

Thanks, Ad! There is certainly a very good chance I will be buying used, I've even been checking some out on ebay and found what seemed to me, to be very god deals.
Really won't know which way I'm going until it happens.
I almost called on a used Bayliner a couple months back. Saw it on the way home from work.
Needed some work done to it since the casting decks were rotted out. Being a licensed builder and having ready access to glue and textured vinyl roofing membranes, I figured I could have fixed that problem easy enough.
2 things stopped me from calling. Lack of money and NO PRICE ON THE FOR SALE SIGN!.
I look at it like this, if it were a good deal, it'd have a price.
Old 09-25-09, 12:47 AM   #13
bcklash

Right now there are some good used boats at great prices.
Look at some the boats on Bassboatcentral.com to get an idea of what you can get for under 20 grand.
Old 09-25-09, 11:55 AM   #14
WaffleJaw

Man Ive been drooling over some of these 2004-03 trackers guys are selling for 2-4k in TX.....Extremely well kept
Im in the same position, wanting to buy a boat within the next year.Since my jonboat is beyond repair
I agree with Abby on taking someone who knows boat/motors with you..Im lucky enough to have a friend that works on boat motors for a living....So you better believe he's coming with me when Im ready to buy
Im definitely buying a used aluminum boat (Tracker)
The reason is because alot of these lakes around me have tons of stumps,and we had to help rescue a mother and son who sank thier fiberglass boat three months ago...
I just feel a used 14 to 16' aluminum Tracker would be a great starter boat for me....Nothing fancy,just something tough enough to get use to and get some great fishing area covered!!
Old 09-26-09, 03:30 PM   #15
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Man Ive been drooling over some of these 2004-03 trackers guys are selling for 2-4k in TX.....Extremely well kept
Im in the same position, wanting to buy a boat within the next year.Since my jonboat is beyond repair
I agree with Abby on taking someone who knows boat/motors with you..Im lucky enough to have a friend that works on boat motors for a living....So you better believe he's coming with me when Im ready to buy
Im definitely buying a used aluminum boat (Tracker)
The reason is because alot of these lakes around me have tons of stumps,and we had to help rescue a mother and son who sank thier fiberglass boat three months ago...
I just feel a used 14 to 16' aluminum Tracker would be a great starter boat for me....Nothing fancy,just something tough enough to get use to and get some great fishing area covered!!
Yeah, one of my favorite lakes is just full of stumps so that worries me for sure.

Wow! Boat shopping is so confusing, it reminds me of a poster I saw years ago. The poster had a rooster on it, and it said "I'm so confused, I don't know which way to point my pecker".
The amount of bass boats out there is just staggering.
I just realized today that Triton also makes an aluminum hull! I feel like a virgin all over again.

BTW...don't think I told any of you this little anecdote.
I was talkin with my dad a month or so ago and he asked when I was done with child support. I told him I am done at the end of January.
So he says I should have a lot of free money next year and that maybe I could buy another Harley (sold my 1200 custom a year ago. Originally, it went up for sale to buy a bigger bike. Either a Deuce or Street Bob). By the time it finally sold, it went to pay off bills.
I told him I would probably buy a bass boat first. Then it hit me, and I told him, "come to think of it, I probably won't have time for a Harley once I buy a boat."
He didn't say anything for a bit, then he says "that doesn't make much sense to me".
Pretty sure I'm out of the will! lol
Realistically though, extremely hard to justify both a bass boat and bike when you live in Northern Michigan
Old 10-06-09, 02:41 AM   #16
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

This is my first bass boat. I bought it this Summer and I couldn't be happier with it. Its a 2004 and in fantastic shape with a 90HP Johnson Bombardier. It was a repo in TN and I paid $8k. It was sold in AR and the shipping from AR to MN cost $500.

I was talking to a dealer at a major place in FL when I was shopping and he told me of a Triton repo that the bank was still owed $36K on, but they sold it to the dealer at $11K and the dealer waxed it up and sold it a week later for $25K. This economy unfortunately caused many boats to be repossessed. I would recommend looking for one of those. Considering that the dealer doesn't pay much at the dealer-only bank repo auctions, they'll have some flex in their prices, so be firm.

http://www.stratosboats.com/modelIntro.cfm?mid=5556

Last edited by BeaverIslander; 10-06-09 at 02:48 AM.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 10:31 AM   #17
MallenManson

Nice boat! Very nice price too. Congrats!
Old 10-06-09, 11:15 AM   #18
Nitro 640

I had a Nitro 640lx, 16 footer. I loved the boat. Could fit in my small garage, get into the
back coners of lakes with out hitting bottom.

I bought used from a guy who just didn't have time to use. Found on craigslist. Might want to check it out.
What area are you from? I look at some repo places around me and could send any links
to you if your from the Grand Rapids area of MI.

Also the Tritons are great boats. Fish out of my brothers now that my boat is gone.
Has a Explore 17'. Has a great casting deck, and we can even fish 3 out of the boat pretty easy.

Also found that if your dealer has a lot of inventory during this time of year, and they dont sell. They will be trying to blow them out the door in the spring for the new models to come in. Also most of the time buying new, in the spring Mercury has the 3-5 warranty for free most of the time.
Nitro 640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 02:09 PM   #19
riverfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

I bought my Triton used in the off season from a dealer CHEAP about 3 years ago when the economy was good. Hold out till winter see whats out there Tin, Glass prices should be LOW. This is my next boat in a couple years a River Pro check out the video talk about skinny water!! http://riverpro-boats.com/content/view/12/26/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	myboat.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	4333  
riverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 04:09 PM   #20
bassboogieman

Something in 17' - 18' should work well for main water you mention. Alum or 'glass? you'll have to decide on which will work better for you. 'Glass is heavier, better ride but more to tow. Bumps from stumps - if you're worried about whackin' a stump while up on plane, you're going to damage either one, alum repairs will be cheaper than 'glass - just much smarter to avoid the stump grounds while on plane with either. Bumps while on the T/m won't hurt a 'glass boat or alum. Storage? Most 'glass (bass boat style) have ample storage for rods and tackle, depending upon brand alum storage is a bit less. 'Glass will need a larger outboard and t/m than alum. = more gas. You can cut the HP for any boat, but don't be tempted, you will regret it later. Used is better than new - IF you can find a low hour, well maintained boat. I've done both new & used and the hit on a new boat is pretty bad - unless you intend to keep it 10 years or more - and not many guys keep their "first" boat that long. Boats are like women and cars, the temtation for bigger, faster, better often starts soon after you get it home (that's a joke people, no IM's please from all you happily married guys).

DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY. Pick a couple, then look them over. Take a ride in any boat you may consider as a purchase. Have a mechanic check the motor on any used boat under consideration - compression test & many new outboards can be hooked to a computer and the history of every minute of motor operation is available.

If you're bent on a "new" boat your best opportunity is in the spring (boat shows) where you can pick up a left over and save considerable money and still get a new warranty. Color selection may not be much, but most everything else is open to choice (electronics, T/m) and can be upgraded or switched out. Final note on new - I saw Tracker mentioned - Tracker is NOTORIOUS for under powering thier boats (outboard and T/m) to keep the "advertised" price low and get you in the door. Upgrading the outboard can cost you an extra couple grand. As I said, do your homework, check the HP ratings of the boat under consideration and do comparisons based on similarly equiped - out the door boats, not what you see in advertisements. Any boat will perform at it's best when it's powered at or near it's maximum recommended HP. That's also is important when you resell, an under powered boat is pretty hard to sell.

Good luck and happy shopping!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 04:33 PM   #21
MallenManson

Thanks guys! Great info!
Old 10-08-09, 08:36 PM   #22
Jigger

The best bang for the buck is aluminum. You can push it with a smaller motor and it tows easier with better gas mileage on the tow vehicle. Less maintenance too. I've hit so many underwater things such as pipes, metal fence posts, boat docks etc. with my aluminum boat, it looks like a beat up fighter. With a glass boat, I'd either have to not fish the places I fish or be prepared to pay a bunch for fiberglass repair.

The downside is that aluminum boats are a bit "tippy" if you've got two big people standing and fishing out of the same side of the boat.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 09:43 PM   #23
bamabassman

mallen ol pal. the best advice i can give you is to go out IN the boat. try them all, drive em like you stole em too. get out on the front and rear decks, REALLY do what oyu would do with your own rig FIRST. THEN decide on the best rig according to the price. winter is a great time to get a slightly used rig real cheap. and the way things are, there are going to be ALOT of rigs out there for sale.............CHEAP. wish i could upgrade myself right now. but i am truly happy with what i have at the moment.
Old 10-08-09, 10:53 PM   #24
BassinBandit

There is also a 2007 Legend boat on Bassboatcentral.com with a 150 Optimax on it. $20,000 or best offer. I would jump on that if I could afford to but I love the legend boats myself. Picture of the boat below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Legboat.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	4339  

Last edited by BassinBandit; 10-08-09 at 11:07 PM.
BassinBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09, 05:39 PM   #25
MallenManson

Good advice again, guys! One thing I gotta say, Ranger and Skeeter send out killer brochures.
Tracker just sent me this fold out, pamphlet, basically. The other 2 sent 1/8" thick brochures with plenty of pics and info.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.