Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-07, 10:14 PM   #1
wargoth
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Pitching? Flipping?

OK guys, I have heard these two techniques bandied around alot, but none of the guys I fish with know a damn thing about either. Never seen any of the boys on the feeshing shows demonstrate them either. So... could ya'll pretty please like enlighten me on these two mysterious techniques? How to do them, what to rig (ie what kinds of rigs/lures work with these techniques) and when/where you use them.

P.S. I tried searching, but, well, you type flipping or pitching into the search here and see if you can find the thread that answers this... I honestly don't have time to wade through 38,000 threads. LOL
Old 09-13-07, 10:53 PM   #2
hackattack

pitching and flipping are very similar...maybe someone could post up a picture tutorial of the motions, cause I cant...baits to flip are texas rigged plastics like creature baits and worms...jigs are also good...basically it is just getting on top of the fish and putting your bait right in their face
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-07, 11:06 PM   #3
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

I know how to do both, but I may have them mixed up... Pitching: you'd let out ehhh I'd say anywhere from 10-15' of line from your rod tip[using a 7' and up rod ofcourse] and you then close bail and grab the line between the reel and first quide. Extend the arm in which you are gripping the line directly out, like you are trying to balance or something... perpendicular to your body. With one swift motion you raise your rod and give the lure a swinging motion and as the bait is on the way back out you swiftly feed it the line you've had gripped in your hand. Both are by no means a long range cast. Its more for a stealthy lure placement or to get into tight spots.

A flip is just letting out the rod length in line, closing bail, and grabbing the lure with your unoccupied hand, you should be holding the lure next to the reel, and you simply let go of the lure and make a swift upward motion with the rod, guiding the lure to desired location, again its no distance by any means.

Yeah thats deffinitely a rough description of how to do both processes. I've seen someone on here post a picture of both techniques... I think it was Reb? I'm sure someone will describe better than I have.
Old 09-13-07, 11:16 PM   #4
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Alright well looks liek I got the two mixed up...

Here is a thread in which the picture I was talking about is located, just scroll down a bit through the thread and you will see Rebs reply with the pictures:

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...g+flipping+rod
Old 09-14-07, 02:24 PM   #5
Raul

The basic difference between both is what you are holding in your hand, in flipping you hold the line, in pitching you hold the lure, the rod is used to create momentum.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-07, 04:21 PM   #6
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

distance of the cast is the only differance..

zooker
Old 09-14-07, 04:54 PM   #7
JB

flipping to me means taking out line the length of about twice your rod, use your rod to swing into a specific target (stump, lay down, rock), then gently easing the jig or plastic into the way without any splash at all.
pitching is using the pendulum swing and letting out much more line, and at a further distance, raise the rod tip at entry to ease the amount of splash.
watch flipboy in action

Ya see many guys that flip only during tourney's up close, sometimes its the ticket, other times in my opinion they are in way to close.
watch pitchboy in action

Last edited by JB; 09-14-07 at 05:01 PM.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-07, 09:48 PM   #8
lizardsrule

I can pitch as far as some folks can cast. Flipping you can't get any farther than mayber 15'-20'. I pitch everything from cranks to spinnerbaits, to plastics. I do sidearm, and underhand pitching. Flipping is truly hand to hand combat, where pitching can be done just like normal casting for some folks.

Lizards
Old 09-15-07, 08:26 AM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I can pitch a good sized jig a long way (atleast its a long way in my book). I use my spinning reel with the bail open and just hold down the line. then I let go of the line to let the jig go farther.

But when it comes to flipping, i can flip like 5-6' i'm woking on it though, it'll help when we get done building my flippin stick instead of using my ML rod.
Old 09-16-07, 10:18 PM   #10
Rebbasser

I think JB's animation covers it quite well..
Old 09-17-07, 08:05 PM   #11
wargoth

Thanks for clearing that all up guys... I've always known these two casts, but never knew them by name. And truth be told, I am quite proficient at both... LOL
Old 09-20-07, 05:13 AM   #12
robbor
BassFishin.Com Member

Default casting

I have not noticed many casting demos in a while. Vandam used to do a clip on the roll cast(undercasting), pitching is just pitching. I used to practice both in the backyard while standing on top of a small stack of cinder blocks. If you start with a 6' or 6'6" it will be easier. I practiced tossing them as low as possible to the ground and up under our low trees. The practice payed off while fishing cover greatly. These 2 techniques should be learned by an serious fishermen. You will probable find it a little more difficult to do from a boat with a high lip around the edge and longer rods also take a tad more practice. Id goin out on the lawn probably 5x a day on most days and pitch and roll for 5-10min
robbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-07, 12:30 AM   #13
Rebbasser

robbor, mine was on a stepladder in the driveway pitching to a coffee can. The neighbors thought I was nuts, and truth be told, I AM!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.