Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-10, 10:23 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default BPS Pro Qualifier reel

Just curious how many in here have used this reel and what you think of it. At the sale price of $79.00 our local BPS has it at, it seems like a hell of a reel for the price. I've got two Rick Clunn models and love them both. I'd assume the PQ would be similar.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 09:41 AM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mine doesnt really count as it is an older model of the PQ, but i love this reel.. great quality and really smooth...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 10:43 AM   #3
WaffleJaw

Keith I picked up a HS Pro Qualifer last December...Ive put that reel to work and absolutely love it...The dual braking sys is very smooth imo..
It cast almost as smooth as my Revo S if that helps...Its a close race,but I feel the Revo is a touch smoother.
All in all, I see another low ratio PQ reel in my future for cranking.
For the price its completely worth it!
Old 06-21-10, 01:30 PM   #4
dryheat
BassFishin.Com Member

i too have several older rick clunn models and one pro qualifier (working mans curado). I Have it on a frog rod with braid. The only problem I have with mine is an overly tight cast control knob. this is the only reel in it's price range that has a full line of retrieve ratios and line capacities. I'ts also the cheapest one that is built on an aluminum frame. If I was in the market for another reel the pro qualifier would be on the short list. The only other complaint is the fact that it never goes on sale!
dryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 02:37 PM   #5
walkeraviator

So would you kill me if i told you i got mine on an XPS rod for $40???
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 05:58 PM   #6
keithdog

Yes walker, I would! lol
Old 06-21-10, 06:00 PM   #7
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Keith I picked up a HS Pro Qualifer last December...Ive put that reel to work and absolutely love it...The dual braking sys is very smooth imo..
It cast almost as smooth as my Revo S if that helps...Its a close race,but I feel the Revo is a touch smoother.
All in all, I see another low ratio PQ reel in my future for cranking.
For the price its completely worth it!
Thats says a lot. I love my Revo S. And I'm looking at the Pro Qualifier for crankin with the 4.7:1 ratio model. I have a David Fritts that I'm just not really totally pleased with. Thinking about replacing it with the PQ.
Old 06-21-10, 06:15 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Have they fixed the issues with line recovery rates and gear ratios?

Never knew if it was a typo, or if the reels were really like that.

BB
Old 06-21-10, 06:16 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Thats says a lot. I love my Revo S. And I'm looking at the Pro Qualifier for crankin with the 4.7:1 ratio model. I have a David Fritts that I'm just not really totally pleased with. Thinking about replacing it with the PQ.

I'd stick with the Fritts reel till I could afford a Revo Winch. They're great reels.

BB
Old 06-21-10, 07:15 PM   #10
Rebbasser

Keith, I'm thinking about the same thing. If you get this reel let me know how you like it.
Old 06-21-10, 07:21 PM   #11
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Have they fixed the issues with line recovery rates and gear ratios?

Never knew if it was a typo, or if the reels were really like that.

BB
I sent an email to BPS asking exactly that as the catalog showed the 4.7:1 ratio for the PQ as a line retrieval rate of 26" which made no sense to me. I was right. They emailed me back and indeed there was a printting error in the master catalog. The 4.7:1 PQ reel retrieves 19 inches of line per handle turn. Which makes it exactly perfect for big deep crankin. The problem with my David Fritts is that I can't seem to get the casting distance out of it that I should be. Not sure if it's a lemon or what. I have two Rick Clunn reels that will outcast it by a long shot. I've got the casting control knob backed off quite a bit to practically no resistance and only two of the 6 brakes are engaged. Any less than that and it's a backlash every time. And still the casting distance is nothing to get excited about. And casting distance is what that reel was promised to do. I know others in here can cast their Fritts reels a country mile. So far I havn't. But my Clunn reels do.
Old 06-21-10, 10:11 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Quote:
I sent an email to BPS asking exactly that as the catalog showed the 4.7:1 ratio for the PQ as a line retrieval rate of 26" which made no sense to me. I was right. They emailed me back and indeed there was a printting error in the master catalog. The 4.7:1 PQ reel retrieves 19 inches of line per handle turn. Which makes it exactly perfect for big deep crankin. The problem with my David Fritts is that I can't seem to get the casting distance out of it that I should be. Not sure if it's a lemon or what. I have two Rick Clunn reels that will outcast it by a long shot. I've got the casting control knob backed off quite a bit to practically no resistance and only two of the 6 brakes are engaged. Any less than that and it's a backlash every time. And still the casting distance is nothing to get excited about. And casting distance is what that reel was promised to do. I know others in here can cast their Fritts reels a country mile. So far I havn't. But my Clunn reels do.
Good to know that it was a mistake. 19" is pretty slow too. Slower than the Zillion CC and Revo Winch which get 22" and 21" respectively.

BB
Old 06-22-10, 07:46 AM   #13
keithdog

I'm just torn between the Pro Qualifier and the ugly now purple Rick Clunn reels. I have two RC reels and they are great little reels that cast a mile. Never casted the PQ so I can't compare the two. But I hear it also will give you good distance.
Old 06-22-10, 10:26 AM   #14
BigBassin144

Quote:
I'm just torn between the Pro Qualifier and the ugly now purple Rick Clunn reels. I have two RC reels and they are great little reels that cast a mile. Never casted the PQ so I can't compare the two. But I hear it also will give you good distance.
Are your RC reels the last model blue ones or the older models?

My dad's got one of the blue RC reels and I don't like how it casts at all. I don't think the distance on it is very good, although it has increased since I cleaned the spool bearings this winter.

I've heard the PQ is a better reel than the blue Rick Clunn's. And I have a hard time believing the new purple ones are any better.

BB
Old 06-22-10, 01:05 PM   #15
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The Pro Qualifier is one of the best reels I've owned. I bought one in April, and am super pleased with it.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 06:50 PM   #16
flfireman

I have 4 PQ's, love them. Do like my Clunn a little better, but the PQ's have held up great. I keep them clean and have very little to no problems with them.
Old 06-22-10, 07:27 PM   #17
keithdog

[QUOTE=BigBassin144;302992]Are your RC reels the last model blue ones or the older models?

My dad's got one of the blue RC reels and I don't like how it casts at all. I don't think the distance on it is very good, although it has increased since I cleaned the spool bearings this winter.

I've heard the PQ is a better reel than the blue Rick Clunn's. And I have a hard time believing the new purple ones are any better.

BB[/QUOTE

Both my RC reels are the blue versions. The latest being the rubberized finish, or whatever that finish is. I've loved that reel. Casts and works great. I originally picked it over the PQ because it got better reviews from people. But both had their share of good reviews. The guy at BPS told me then the RC was the better reel. Who knows.
Old 06-23-10, 07:36 AM   #18
keithdog

DANG! Just found out the sale on the PQ's ended monday. Guess it'll have to wait for now. The bait monkey is soooo pissed!
Old 06-23-10, 09:26 AM   #19
rrw4258

I had a PQ picked up at BPS last week but didn't buy it becasue of the small size. I just like my RC reels too much. I like the bigger size of the RC reels. I wish they wouldn't have made them purple and kept the ITB braking system in them. I myself, don't care for the dual brakes.

Ryan
Old 06-23-10, 06:12 PM   #20
Cavs1123

I have a PQ and I LOVE it! It casts smooth and rarely backlashes.
Old 06-23-10, 06:15 PM   #21
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
I had a PQ picked up at BPS last week but didn't buy it becasue of the small size. I just like my RC reels too much. I like the bigger size of the RC reels. I wish they wouldn't have made them purple and kept the ITB braking system in them. I myself, don't care for the dual brakes.

Ryan
I'm with ya Ryan, I hate the purple, but I guess it's not a fashion show out there on the water. What was Clunn thinking when he went purple????
Old 06-23-10, 08:08 PM   #22
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm with ya Ryan, I hate the purple, but I guess it's not a fashion show out there on the water. What was Clunn thinking when he went purple????
This is just a guess, as ol' Rick is somewhat of a Zen master.

Meaning of the Color Purple
Purple embodies the balance of red simulation and blue calm. This dichotomy can cause unrest or uneasiness unless the undertone is clearly defined at which point the purple takes on the characteristics of its undertone. A sense of mystic and royal qualities, purple is a color often well liked by very creative or eccentric types.

How the color purple affects us mentally and physically
* Uplifting
* Calming to mind and nerves
* Offers a sense of spirituality
* Encourages creativity
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 10:03 PM   #23
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
This is just a guess, as ol' Rick is somewhat of a Zen master.

Meaning of the Color Purple
Purple embodies the balance of red simulation and blue calm. This dichotomy can cause unrest or uneasiness unless the undertone is clearly defined at which point the purple takes on the characteristics of its undertone. A sense of mystic and royal qualities, purple is a color often well liked by very creative or eccentric types.

How the color purple affects us mentally and physically
* Uplifting
* Calming to mind and nerves
* Offers a sense of spirituality
* Encourages creativity
Old 06-24-10, 12:40 PM   #24
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Sorry to hear you missed the sale!

Bought my 3rd PQ last year. Can't find a better combination of performance and price anywhere. My buddy's high end Shimano reels do perform better, but not near enough better to pay over twice as much.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.