Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-07, 08:07 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Flouro

I think I am starting to finally believe in the line visibility thing. So, I am going to buy some flourocarbon to use as a leader on my braid. I tried mono, but it cut my sensitivity drastically. Anyways, I was looking at the Stren 100% Flourocarbon because I have always used Stren line and have never had a problem. Any other suggestions about a good flouro to use?

bb144
Old 09-16-07, 08:54 PM   #2
zooker

big mistake...use mono instead.. i have had floro snap very easily on me.. i also have seen fish spook from it in the larger pound test..it was 17 pound test p-line evolution..

zooker
Old 09-16-07, 09:15 PM   #3
otto
BassFishin.Com Member

I've had knot strength issues with floro in the past that I haven't had with quality mono... I just don't trust the stuff.
Mono should work just as well as a leader, and its stretch gives you a little "shock abosorber" effect when paired with a braid.
otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-07, 10:16 PM   #4
Rebbasser

Trilene Fluorocarbon-NOT Vanish. Best fluoro I have used, and I have tried a bunch.

I read in either Bassmaster or FLW magazine to use a Trilene knot rather than a Palomar for Fluoro because a palomar can kink the fluoro weakening it.

Also, when you tighten a knot with fluoro if you don't wet it, and I mean thoroughly, you are asking for trouble. If you don't wet it the heat from the friction as you pull it tight will severly weaken the knot. which is probably the biggest cause of knot failure.
Old 09-17-07, 09:12 AM   #5
leroy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to leroy

I tried the Trilene Flourocarbon yesterday for the first time and I am very impressed with it. It casts extremely well, has very low memory, great knot strength, and great sensitivity. I will probably be changing most all of my rods to this, except my crankbait rod I like Mono for this application.
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-07, 09:45 AM   #6
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I used to use the Stren Fluoro before they quit making it. It was my favorite line back then. The new stuff they have now I haven't tried yet but I would think it would be good. XPS Fluoro has been good to me as well. As far as knots... I tie a Jam knot with flouro and have zero problems. I do not tie a palomar. A lot of the pros are using the new Trilene Fluoro. Must be something to it. Go to bassfan.com and look at the results of the tournaments and see what line they used. Except for flipping mats most of them are using some type of fluorocarbon line.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-07, 05:37 PM   #7
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAddict View Post
Go to bassfan.com and look at the results of the tournaments and see what line they used. Except for flipping mats most of them are using some type of fluorocarbon line.

addict
don't belive every thing you see or hear if it comes from a pro's mouth..
remember these guys get PAID to be a walking/talking avertisement.

if some one PAID you to endorse there product would you not say "yep i used -add product here-to win this tournment" of course you would.. reguardless of what they actually used.

the ONLY truth EVER told in professional bass angling is pulled from the live well..

zooker
Old 09-17-07, 08:41 PM   #8
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default P-Line Flourocarbon

Just bought some of this stuff yesterday from Cabela's along with my new Pflueger Supreme LPL for my PNJ/C-Rig Rod. Read all the user reviews and from the reviews it was sweet. Almost no stretch, clear color, etc., etc. Should be great for 18.49. Which I then found it for 16.99 at tacklewarehouse.com.. Take a look at that website, most of their stuff is the same if not 1 or 2 buck cheaper than all other competitors.
Old 09-18-07, 04:05 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Lunker, we were at cabela's on saturday looking at reaal for my flippin stik, and we have found thatr cabela's is a bit overpriced anyways. compared to bass pro, they are the same or more expensive.

I don't know about using trilene, we have used trilene mono in the past and with many problems, including memory, and others that we don't have with Stren. that's why I think if i try flouro, it will be stren, or maybe BPS.

bb144
Old 09-18-07, 10:37 PM   #10
leroy

Send a message via AIM to leroy

Give it a chance Bassin... I don't like Trilene Mono either but the Flouro is #1!!!
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-07, 12:35 AM   #11
islandbass

SeaGuar Carbon Pro or Invizx. It's a done deal. Don't waste your time or money with anything else.
Old 09-19-07, 08:00 PM   #12
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
big mistake...use mono instead.. i have had floro snap very easily on me.. i also have seen fish spook from it in the larger pound test..it was 17 pound test p-line evolution..

zooker
HEY!!!!!!! WHATS THIS>>>>>ZOOK USING P_LINE

WHAT GIVES HERE.
Old 09-19-07, 08:02 PM   #13
1FASTLASER

Speaking of floro I am thinking bout this Yo-Zuri Hybrid, I have heard several good things locally on it. Anyone tried it??????????
Old 09-20-07, 08:58 AM   #14
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
addict

if some one PAID you to endorse there product would you not say "yep i used -add product here-to win this tournment" of course you would.. reguardless of what they actually used.

the ONLY truth EVER told in professional bass angling is pulled from the live well..

zooker
Your right Zook. I don't take everything they say to heart believe me. However I do feel like Fluorocarbon line is the deal with the pros right now. I use it a lot with good success. Certain pro's swear by certain brands that they're sponsered by... I try serveral brands till I find what works for ME. Right now XPS Fluoro and P-Line Fluoroclear work for me.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-07, 10:15 AM   #15
thebus71h

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h

Quote:
addict

zooker
How true, went to a weigh in, and there was a few of the pro's fishing (it was one of the Bassmaster Opens), and once he got interviewed, couldn't talk enough about that Berkley Gulp, when my father in law was fishing near him, and could visibly see him pulling stuff out of a Zoom bag. Same thing happened a few years ago at one of the local tourney's. Guys were coming back saying that we did nothing but catch fish on a dropshot worm all day long, so the next day, everybody was using a drop shot worm, well, they were using Chatterbaits.
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-07, 04:22 PM   #16
the pond guy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to the pond guy

vanish lives up to its name without a doubt
Old 09-20-07, 08:22 PM   #17
hackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pond guy View Post
vanish lives up to its name without a doubt
If thats ttrue it might as well be called suck
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-07, 12:10 AM   #18
BigBassin144

Well, I purchased a pack of 20lb Stren 100% Flouro and Can't wait to give it a try. As some of you may know, I am going Musky fishing on sterday(or maybe sunday) but this lake is also a goof lake for bass. So I am going to take my bass rod and try out my new flouro if the Fish of 10,000 casts if really waiting for that lucky number 10,000.

I'll let you know how it works out if I get a chance to use it.

bb144
Old 09-21-07, 08:02 AM   #19
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Hey BB, if ya need some help on bass fishing there, ring up, I'll put ya on some fish! Got some 2 to 3 lbers out there this season, had some 4 or 5's on probably though, got off at boat.
Old 09-22-07, 01:11 PM   #20
bassnman30

Where are ya'll getting the "new" Stren flouro. They made flourocarbon years ago but discontinued it. Granted, I've still got some of the older line and it's great. Even if it is more than 2 years old.
Old 09-22-07, 07:19 PM   #21
BigBassin144

I got mine at Cabelas. I'm sure you could get it at BPS too though.
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...394&hasJS=true

That's the address for it.

bb144

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.