Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-07, 03:25 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Line...

Hey guys, going to Meijer today to get some new line for my St.Croix and my Falcon. Plan on getting 12 lb or equal to braid. The reels are a Shimano 2000 FB(I think) on the Croix, and a Cabelas Torunament ZX(Made by Diawa) on the Falcon. I planned on looking at Fireline, Suffix, and/or Stren mono. Is the Fireline any good for spinning reels? I plan on using these rods for spinnerbaits(Falcon), and light T-Rigs and weightless T-Rigs(St.Croix). Also, what about Suffix Elite? Are both of these lines braids, or are they super lines? Is braid a super line?

-LL-
Old 09-29-07, 03:27 PM   #2
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

I cant say much on braid, but for lighter spinning applications, original stren has never failed me.

tb
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-07, 07:05 PM   #3
Marty

Fireline works well on spinning reels, it just doesn't cast as well as some other lines.

Yes, braid is a superline. Superline is a term that covers both braids and fused lines, the latter including Fireline and the old Berkley Fusion.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-07, 09:08 PM   #4
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Thanks for all the quick answers guys, but after looking at Fireline, it came in only 125 yd spools, I wanted at least a 330 yd spool to cover both my Croix, which holds 160 yds 12 lb, and my Falcon, which holds 170 yds of 12 lb. Thanks anyway though. BTW, I bought 12 lb Stren Original Mono, Lo-Vis Green. Not the best for T-Riggin(I like Blue or Clear/Blue to see bites)but that's all I could find...

-LL-
Old 09-29-07, 10:20 PM   #5
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Whoa whoa whoa!! You are wasting a lot of money filling an entire spool up with braid! Fill about half the spool up with any mono you have around, then fill the remainder of the spool up with braid. I can spool 2 reels with 150yds. Also, when you think you need to re-spool some new braid, just flip it around. You'll save a lot of money.
Old 10-01-07, 10:18 AM   #6
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

best braid = sufix
best flouro = seaguar invizx
best mono = cajun red cast
Old 10-02-07, 08:53 AM   #7
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
best braid = sufix
Interesting you should bring that up "AGAIN" DG rotflmao.

However on your reccomendation of Suffix I bought some and have been using it for a couple of weeks now. I must say it keeps it form better than Powerpro, and seems to be a little tighter on the twist. I've not moticed any difference in durablitity. It has performed extremly well for me, in both saltwater, and freshwater. The biggest complaint I have about it is that I can't find it locally in anything more than 150yrd spools. I believe it(Suffix) and you have convinced me that it is a little superior to Powerpro, and I will continue to use it. Not that PP isn't a awesome line I also like how it's a little lighter in color than the green of powerpro, and it does seem to hold it's color a little longer. Not that the color means anything to me, you know My Opinion on line color/visibilty

Lizards
Old 10-02-07, 10:17 AM   #8
dodgeguy

cabelas has 1000 yard spools and 300s.
Old 10-02-07, 03:54 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I have only tried one braid and one flouro, but in my opinion, Stren Original Mono is the best, fished it for my whole life and never had any problems.
Old 10-02-07, 09:25 PM   #10
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

don't put braid on a baitcaster after a while it gets tangled in itself and starts to back lash stick with 12# mono knock on wood hasn't failed me yet and u asked where in mi i lived east of houghton lake have fun
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-07, 10:01 PM   #11
wargoth
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Odd twigass, I have had just the opposite experience. I found that once I had backlashed with mono, it just became more and more prone to backlash, whereas with braid, it became less susceptible with wear, and was alot easier to clear the nest.
Old 10-12-07, 08:08 PM   #12
fishing man
BassFishin.Com Member

i use suffic elite and love it, it is pretty cheap, and i have never had a problem with it.
fishing man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-07, 05:57 AM   #13
dodgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigass View Post
don't put braid on a baitcaster after a while it gets tangled in itself and starts to back lash stick with 12# mono knock on wood hasn't failed me yet and u asked where in mi i lived east of houghton lake have fun

never had this happen with sufix.
Old 10-13-07, 11:18 AM   #14
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigass View Post
You just have to know how to work with braid to minimize that effect. Unfortunately, it is usually the angler that makes the line "dig" into itself, and unknowingly to boot. I agree with you that it can be a pain (line dig) if one doesn't stay mindful to avoid it. Going up in strength (using a thinker diameter braid) greatly reduces this. The other thing to do is to take the rod and reel out of the equation with you try to free snags. Every time an angler tries to free a snag with the rod and reel, that force exerted makes the line "dig" into itself on the spool. Then, by the next cast... yada yada.

Pulling line off the spool can also do this iwth a drag that is tightly set. When pitching and you need to pull line off the spool to get a more vertical fall, operate with a very light drag or better yet, do not engage the spool (turn your crank or flippin switch) UNTIL you have pulled off the amount line you want. With the reel in free spool, there is zero percent chance on making the line "dig" into itself on the spool.

These are some of the things I do and as a result, I do not experience this anymore with even 30# braid.

-ib
Old 10-14-07, 08:42 AM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I have experienced my line digging into itself a few times. I use 30lb braid and normally don't have problems, but when it happens, heres what you do. Tie on a heavy sinker or, if you have one, a heavy jig. I always carry a three oz sinker with just incase. anyways, tie it on, and cast it. Most of the time, the heavu weight will pull the line free, somethimes you may have to cast more than once if it's really bad.
Old 10-15-07, 06:38 PM   #16
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I have experienced my line digging into itself a few times. I use 30lb braid and normally don't have problems, but when it happens, heres what you do. Tie on a heavy sinker or, if you have one, a heavy jig. I always carry a three oz sinker with just incase. anyways, tie it on, and cast it. Most of the time, the heavu weight will pull the line free, somethimes you may have to cast more than once if it's really bad.
Waste of time. Just pull out the line by hand, then reel it up(always keep even pressure on it). Also keeps from taking the chance of snapping off you line. Line digging in usually is a very small area, not like it's 60 feet or so.

Lizards
Old 10-15-07, 07:53 PM   #17
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
never had this happen with sufix.
Or Powerpro.
Old 10-15-07, 08:04 PM   #18
JB

reb,
ya use pp on any of your spinning gear? I'm going to get denny to try it yet lol
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.