Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-07, 06:36 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Shakey Head,

How?

I have jigs and bait. What kind of retrieve? What's a good time and place to use it?

Thanks, once again, for all the help.
-bb144-
Old 10-12-07, 07:20 PM   #2
Rebbasser

BB, a shakey head is basically a finesse or trickworm T-rigged on a jighead. This is one of the few applications I use a spinning rod for. Cast it out and once it is on the bottom you want to shake your rod tip, hence the name shakey head. I usually use a spot remover jighead:

I like the worm holder on them-that thing sticking out between the eye and the hook. Shake it, drag it, lift and drop-try different retrieves until you find what the fish want.
Old 10-12-07, 10:27 PM   #3
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Reb covered most of your question. Sometimes I fish it slowly, sometimes I pop it offthe bottom, but most of the time, I just shake it for up to a minute, then i'll pause. Most of the bites I get are very light and eitehr you'll just feel a mushy feeling or you'll see your line move. I do get alot of "THUMP" bites and those are usually the more aggressive fish. I'll set the hook whenever I feel those sensations. I like a 6' medium action spinning rod and 8lb fluorocarbon. The shaky head is a very easy way to catch a quick limit of keeper bass once you learn how to properly use it and master it.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-07, 10:53 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Thanks. I only have two rods I could use at the moment. a 6' spinning rod with 12lb mono, or a 7' baitcaster with 30lb braid. I could put fluoro on ym extra spool for my spinner rod, but all I have is 20lb fluoro.

If I get more, would you suggest a regular fluoro or something like Pline fluoroclear?

-bb144-
Old 10-12-07, 11:00 PM   #5
Rebbasser

Floroclear will work nicely, and isn't near as expensive as fluoro. I use 30 lb braid with a fluoro leader.
Old 10-13-07, 01:30 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01

seagar inviz x is really good on a spinning reel. you are talking a little more money, but it will probably give you less headaches and that stuff is freaking strong.
Old 10-14-07, 06:30 PM   #7
adamchasejones
BassFishin.Com Member

spot remover is the worst jighead besides the ones with hte spring on em. Best head BY FAR is the giggy head. A little pricey but WELL worth the money. MIss too many fish on the springs and the spot remover looks awkward to me. But to each his own. Just my 2c.
adamchasejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-07, 02:40 PM   #8
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like the bite-me jig heads best. I think that the hooks on the spot removers are not quite long enough and the flat head gets stuck in the weeds a lot. The jig heads are not painted, but a jar of powdered paint and a lighter fix that in about 10 seconds.
Also I have tried lots of worms from robo-worms to whatever, the best thing out there are the Gulp 5" Shaky worms in Green pumpkin.

Edit: Also I use it all the time except in the heavy wind since the weight is only 1/8 to 3/16. I have a tournament tonight and that is what I will start with. Spinning is a 7' Medium Outlaw rod, Symetre rear drag reel, and 10 pound P-Line floro and casting is a 7'4" BPS Extreme M, Calcutta 50 reel, and 6 pound halo line.

Last edited by Bender; 10-16-07 at 02:50 PM.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.