Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-08, 12:10 AM   #1
georgiaboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Cool Brand New to Fishing; Need Help

Hey guys. I have been trying to fish for the last few years, with no luck at catching anything. This last Monday I spent the day at the lake on a rented boat and all I caught was a sunburn. But everybody around me was catching bass with every other cast it seemed like. So I have come to the conclusion that I have to be doing something wrong, maybe not setting my rigs right. That brings me to this sight. I was researching online on how to catch bass and ended up here. I have been reading on some of the recent posts and you guys seem to be experts on the sport. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Thanks,
Georgiaboy
georgiaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 12:26 AM   #2
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Well to kick this off I guess you could tell us what you have been doing and where you have been fishing... Buzz I hope you don't mind me using part of one of your posts I'm kinda lazy ....

(written by Buzz)
What lures have you been using?

What type of water are you fishing?

Where are you located?

What are the water temps and conditions?
Old 07-05-08, 12:31 AM   #3
georgiaboy
BassFishin.Com Member

I usually use rubber worms. I usually fish in Lake Allatoona located in Cartersville, Ga. Not too sure about the temp or condition, I know it was really hot.
georgiaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 12:47 AM   #4
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome! Perhaps the next time you are out there with them, you can ask them what they're using. Now they could be lying so while you pose the question, look at what they have rigged up.

You shouldn't feel so bad. I have a brother in the same boat as you. Nearly two years now and not a fish hooked and landed.
Old 07-05-08, 12:55 AM   #5
georgiaboy
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm not sure I am even doing it right.
Old 07-05-08, 08:30 AM   #6
Jim80

well georgia boy welcome aboard first of all . and i haer the sunburn thing man (born a red head i've never know a tan ) don't be afraid to ask the guys around you what their throwing and remember we all started at one point or another with no luck . also if their not biting plastics try throwing a spinner or a crank bait and you'll hit em sooner or later
Old 07-05-08, 12:44 PM   #7
georgiaboy
BassFishin.Com Member

I guess I'm just a little embarrassed to ask. But thanks for all the info.
Old 07-05-08, 02:14 PM   #8
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

no need to feel embarrassed pal. welcome to the house of bait monkey fodder!! here my friend you will find fellow fishermen and women that love to help each other out. a fellow i know that can help you alot is bob smith. welcome and tell everything you are doing and where. someone here will get you to catching dem bucket mouths in no time pal.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 12:32 AM   #9
keithdog

Welcome aboard buddy. I was wondering what kind of rod and reel combos you use. I have a brother who really struggles to put any bass in the boat. Part of his trouble is that he does not use tackle designed to be used for bass fishing in certain conditions. Case in point. Casting a 1/2 oz. spinnerbait into brush, lilly pads and other cover for bass. He is using a 5 1/2 or 6 foot light action rod with no backbone. His reel is a spinncast reel with 6 pound line. I've tried to explain to him that his choice of tackle won't be able to control the spinnerbait properly, let alone any bass he might hook into. Making sure your tackle will handle the conditions and lures your using will go a long way towards making you a better fisherman.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 12:40 AM   #10
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Welcome aboard buddy. I was wondering what kind of rod and reel combos you use. I have a brother who really struggles to put any bass in the boat. Part of his trouble is that he does not use tackle designed to be used for bass fishing in certain conditions. Case in point. Casting a 1/2 oz. spinnerbait into brush, lilly pads and other cover for bass. He is using a 5 1/2 or 6 foot light action rod with no backbone. His reel is a spinncast reel with 6 pound line. I've tried to explain to him that his choice of tackle won't be able to control the spinnerbait properly, let alone any bass he might hook into. Making sure your tackle will handle the conditions and lures your using will go a long way towards making you a better fisherman.

amen is all i got to say
Old 07-06-08, 02:39 PM   #11
georgiaboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the tip. That may be part of the problem. However, I almost caught my first bass yesterday. I was fishing of the bank on the Etowah River near a bunch of fallen trees, and long story short I saw the fish get close to the bank, and it looked like he was about to take the bait, but I think I spooked him. Anyways, thanks again.
Old 07-06-08, 02:53 PM   #12
georgiaboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Here's the set up I was using:
5 ft shakespeare cirrus graphite ultra light action rod
shakespeare open faced reel
plastic worm (i think it was tx rigged, athough I'm
not sure if it was rigged right)
Which brings me to my next question:
I printed up the pics that were on here that shows you how to use certain rigs, In the pic for the tx rig it doesn't say anything about using a weight. Do I need a weight? (Probably a stupid question, but like I said, this is all new to me) Can anyone help?
Thanks-
Old 07-06-08, 03:04 PM   #13
frogfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yeah, you should use a 1/16 oz.(depending on worm size) worm weight also called a bullet sinker
frogfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 03:13 PM   #14
Jim80

you could throw the worm weightless if you want but it doesn't hurt to have a weight i usually use 1/8 to 3/8 oz weight depending were i'm fishing . and you really would want to use a heavier rod when fish t-rigged plastics it takes a lot of force to bring that hook through the plastic a medium heavy rod usually does the trick imo
Old 07-06-08, 03:16 PM   #15
georgiaboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the tips guys. Any specifics on rods?
Old 07-06-08, 03:31 PM   #16
Fishbear

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbear

What part of Georgia you in??? If we are not to far apart, maybe we can get together, and I can help ya out with stuff.

I am in Winder.
Old 07-06-08, 03:31 PM   #17
Jim80

shimano makes some good mid level rods between 70 and 150 dollars but i've been using berkely cherrywood and lighting rods with no complaints . also if your gonna fish the light action rod pop over to youtube and look up texposseing it will make your hook ups a little easier .
Old 07-06-08, 03:41 PM   #18
georgiaboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbear View Post
What part of Georgia you in??? If we are not to far apart, maybe we can get together, and I can help ya out with stuff.

I am in Winder.
Euharlee, which is close to Cartersville. I know where Winder is, and it's not too far.
Old 07-06-08, 03:42 PM   #19
georgiaboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
shimano makes some good mid level rods between 70 and 150 dollars but i've been using berkely cherrywood and lighting rods with no complaints . also if your gonna fish the light action rod pop over to youtube and look up texposseing it will make your hook ups a little easier .
Thanks for the tips
Old 07-06-08, 03:45 PM   #20
georgiaboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Next question.......Does price REALLY matter when it comes to bait? I can understand when comes about poles, but stuff like plastic baits, it's all the same, right?
Old 07-06-08, 03:47 PM   #21
bamabassman

ya'll need to get with bob smith and backinthesaddle they live very close to ya'll. and bob's friend chris, and back's friend daniel. they are supposed to sign up here. but so far haven't seen them yet.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 03:49 PM   #22
georgiaboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Sounds like a plan......as long as they don't mind a tag-a-long
Old 07-06-08, 03:57 PM   #23
Jim80

that is debatable i like zoom plastics because their cheap and for that price it won't kill ya to replace and i also like some of the yum baits try using the search tab at the top of the page it opens a world of info that has been posted throughout the forums
Old 07-06-08, 04:10 PM   #24
georgiaboy
BassFishin.Com Member

I use the zoom baits mostly. I was just wondering if there was a difference
Old 07-06-08, 04:33 PM   #25
Fishbear

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbear

I use almost exclusively Zoom trick worms, Monsters, and finesse worms.

I am becoming a big believer in the Rage Tail craw, chunk, and fluke, though.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.