Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-10, 10:02 AM   #25
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like quality stuff as much as the next guy, but where do you draw the line? Most of us have family and personal obligations that pretty much dictate the limitations, but I have to admit that I have NEVER bought a rod that cost more than $150, or a reel that cost that much either. I have some of the expensive stuff but I have been fortunate to have been in situations where I have been given the high end stuff.
I also have a quick little story about my best friend back home in Texas that has High end habit of buying the very best when it comes out. He bought one of those fancy computerized Shimano Bait casters directly from Japan for about $660.00 when they first came out. Spooled that puppy up and we went fishing on Joe Pool on one of the Wednesday night tournaments out there in Arlington, TX. Being the typical windy summer evening in North Texas he said, "Dude, watch me catch this 1/4 oz swimbait into the wind with this new reel!". Well, needless to say, it went crazy and wound up with the purtiest bird's nest you ever saw. He looked at me and all I could say, "couldn't be the reel, must be operator error for that price!". By and large, the reel was nice, but not so nice that I could of spent the kind of money he did.
This has been an interesting read and a lot great points have been made. I would still like to hear what everyone's criteria for drawing that proverbial line is?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.