Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-06, 11:44 PM   #1
floridabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default zoom horny toads

whats everyones favorite way to fish these lures? do you guys have any luck with them as anything but top water baits?
floridabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-06, 12:14 AM   #2
flamez
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i personally dont do this much but alot of people like to run over mats and what not and when they come over a hole they drop it down and from what ive seen the bait spirals down to the bottom
Old 06-13-06, 12:33 AM   #3
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

don't care much for the horny toad, like the action of the Sizmic Toad much better, but to answer your question, other ways to fish it are similar to a worm, weightless, carolina rig, texas rig, some use them as jig trailers and have had sucess.
Old 06-13-06, 01:03 AM   #4
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

I'm not a big fan of toads of any kind, the one's I've tried seem to run upside down alot, maybe it's my hook or something?....But what I do love to use, is a large tiki sticks in the same manner and locations. They crawl thru the weeds easier and they have pretty good action when you swim them across the top of the water.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-06, 06:36 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by betursweetbass
I'm not a big fan of toads of any kind, the one's I've tried seem to run upside down alot, maybe it's my hook or something?....But what I do love to use, is a large tiki sticks in the same manner and locations. They crawl thru the weeds easier and they have pretty good action when you swim them across the top of the water.
Hey buddy a little tip here. Get you some of the Ribbits and find the hooks with the hitchhiker attachment made my Mustad/ They are somewhere between a 5 and 6/0 hook and needle sharp. The frog always runs true.
Old 06-13-06, 12:57 PM   #6
Captmikestarrett

5/0 wide gap gammy in red rigged so the hook goes between the legs and is skinned in the grove on the back. Cast far over matt and lift and let fall. Pay attention too.

Capt Mike
Old 06-13-06, 04:42 PM   #7
floridabass
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for the help guys, I got a day off tomorrow and I am going to go try it out, hopefully catch some hawgs...
Old 06-13-06, 04:47 PM   #8
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

how well you center that 4 or 5/0 hook will make the toad run true, however I've seen them flip over and the bass hits it, and you still end up hooking the bass, but the hook tends to be in the bottom of the jaw, not the optimum place to have a hookset.
I've had some colors / packs that run true as can be, others tend to flip flop a little, but they are a great bait for me, I recommend them to all my buddies, but not many have bought them yet.
I swim mine a few inches under water, taking a 4-6 ft swim and letting it rest, like a frog does, or just run it over a mat real slow, stop n go, or even just wind it back like a buzzbait over open water. The bass have been hitting it in open water up here for several weeks now
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-06, 05:00 PM   #9
flfireman

Like the Zoom, also use the Sizmic. The latter are a little flatter and I like the paddle legs for pushing a little more water on the retreive. Ive also had a better hook up ratio using the thinner bodied Sizmic. That is probably due to hook selection and not a product flaw. Both have produced some great strikes. I run them slow on top or a little quicker just below the surface, also a twitch-hop pattern across the pads and moss.
Old 06-13-06, 07:15 PM   #10
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

4/0 ewg i make a cut between the legs up to the bottom of the hook pocket. i like the 4/0 better it tends to be much more weedless. always on braid i work it fast and on the surface.-not buzzing-

zooker
Old 06-13-06, 10:37 PM   #11
floridabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I will be giving them a whirl tomorrow, thanks for the help. Hopefully I will come back with some interesting stories
Old 06-14-06, 07:24 AM   #12
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

just read last week some are using a bullet weight in front and are retrieving about a foot under the surface......claiming to make more commotion with the hooks underwater.......the article states they are having good success going over the tops of weedy areas (not mats of course) and trees.
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.