Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-09, 12:31 AM   #1
wv basser
BassFishin.Com Member

Default backing for seaguar invisx

i am going to purchase some 6 and 8 pound seaguar inivizx and need to know what lb test i need to spool for backing? i have have heard you need to match the diameter. this is my first jump into flouro and i decided on the seaguar instead of the sunline fc sniper. i have been using p line flouroclear for the last 2 seasons with no problems but everyone keeps pounding it in my head to try flouro.
thanks
Old 01-18-09, 01:02 AM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I just use whatever cheap mono I have sitting around, or if there is line already on there I just take off however much I need to make room. I haven't heard about matching it, but it shouldn't make any difference since you should never have that line come off the spool. I can see no putting 2# on top of 50# since it might dig in, but my guess is it would only be an issue in extreme cases.
I like the InvizX, good luck with it.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 09:42 AM   #3
BassBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv basser View Post
need to know what lb test i need to spool for backing? i have have heard you need to match the diameter. this is my first jump into flouro and i decided on the seaguar
To match the diameter, false. Invixz was my first fluorocarbon to try and still using it. Haven't bother to try other brand because Invixz treated me real well. You won't regret it.
Old 01-19-09, 08:36 PM   #4
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use the same backing for all my reels: Andes 8lb test mono. All spinning reels are 10 lb test Braid. My baitcasters are all 30 lb braid except my jigging reel which is 50 lb braid.

The backing does two things, 1st it prevents the braid from slipping around the spool. But now with whiffle spools that is a thing of the past. 2nd, it takes up wasted space and saves line, while putting it where you need it on the top 2/3 of the spool. All my reels are spooled the same way, the bottom 3rd is all backing, then comes the line.
Old 01-20-09, 12:52 AM   #5
weezymagic
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to weezymagic

why are you jigging with 50#
weezymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 09:42 AM   #6
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezymagic View Post
why are you jigging with 50#
I pitch my jigs into some pretty nasty stuff, weeds, and weed holes. The 50 lb braid cuts through all of it like butter. And there is almost no chance of my line breaking. Plus, 50 lb braid has the line diameter of just 12 lb test. Those are 3 extremely valid reasons to use braid in those conditions.
Old 01-20-09, 02:37 PM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I also use whatever cheap mono I've got laying around. Mostly Trilene XL I got from NAFC. and in anywhere from 6-12lb test. I recently bought ym first spool of InvisX (I've used Seaguar Carbon Pro before and liked it), and I'll be waiting to put it on until closer to spring.

BB
Old 01-20-09, 08:36 PM   #8
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First, you won't be disappointed with Invizx. I love this line. Bass Bandit is correct.

Perhaps the best reason to want to use similar diameters is so that you can better judge how much line you're putting on. Other than that, most of the time the backing won't even see the light of day. The other reason is that not all joining knots are equal. Some work better than others when the diameters of the lines to be joined differ significantly from each other.
Old 01-20-09, 08:53 PM   #9
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
First, you won't be disappointed with Invizx. I love this line. Bass Bandit is correct.

Perhaps the best reason to want to use similar diameters is so that you can better judge how much line you're putting on. Other than that, most of the time the backing won't even see the light of day. The other reason is that not all joining knots are equal. Some work better than others when the diameters of the lines to be joined differ significantly from each other.
We're not fishing the salt, so 90% of the reels we use have way too much line capacity, and just waste line. A 150 yard spool of line should cover your needs for two reels. That's 75 yards or 225 ft.

I tie the backing to the main braid line with a Albright knot. Simple, easy, and secure.

Another little trick I use is to reverse my braid from one reel to another. That way I have braid ready for use that's never seen the light of day. Assuming of course that I haven't lost that much line over a season's use. Sometimes I do and just have to respool after 1 year of use.
Old 01-21-09, 07:25 PM   #10
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I haven't yet reversed my braid, but I will when one side gets old. However, I do change the line on my T-rig rod over the winter from braid to fluoro, than back to braid for the fall season when we fish a lot of weeds. I just let the reel free spool, and tie it onto an old spinning reel, or extra spool. Keep the braid on that until I change back in fall. I went with heaver fluoro this year though, so I may not change back if I don't feel the need.

BB
Old 01-21-09, 07:32 PM   #11
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I haven't yet reversed my braid, but I will when one side gets old. However, I do change the line on my T-rig rod over the winter from braid to fluoro, than back to braid for the fall season when we fish a lot of weeds. I just let the reel free spool, and tie it onto an old spinning reel, or extra spool. Keep the braid on that until I change back in fall. I went with heaver fluoro this year though, so I may not change back if I don't feel the need.

BB
Why not have the best of both worlds: Braid and Flouro in one setup. 10 lb braid main line, and a 6-10 lb Flouro leader. It's a killer setup that works everywhere, under just about every condtion you can think of.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.