Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-06, 06:36 PM   #1
MBeery
BassFishin.Com Member

Talking New guy lookin' for some tackle help

I recently got hooked again on bass fishin' I fished sporadically in the past with only a spinning reel for all applications. Now I am trying to step up my learning and start fishing tournys. Below is the set-up I am trying to put together:

1 – Spinning rod for drop-shot
1 – Casting Worm rod = Med- heavy
1 – Spinner bait rod = Med-heavy
1 – Crank rod = Med
1 – Pitching/Flipping rod = heavy

Which type of moderately priced reels should I use for each of these rods? I am trying to slowly get a set-up comparable to this and I really have no idea what gear ratio, etc. is best for each application. Which rod/reel would be the best for fishin' jigs?

Here is what I have thus far (Don't Laugh!):

Dropshot - Daiwa D-Shock 3BB spinning with a Daiwa D-Shock 6'6" Medium Spinning Rod.

Casting/Worm Rod - Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5000 Baitcaster with a Shimano FX 6'6" Medium Heavy, Fast action Trigger Rod.

Crank Rod - Shakespeare Axiom Baitcaster 4BB with a Shimano FX 7' Medium, Fast Action Trigger Rod.

Any suggestions(other than burn it all and take up bowling)?
Old 07-17-06, 06:55 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

the ambassador 5000 is a spinner bait reel if they ever made one.. i would use a lower gear ratioed reel for cranking anything lower than a 5.1 geared reel. drop shot set up is about right.. pitching flippin minimum of 7 foot heavy action -it must had some good tip action- NEVER go cheap on this reel. i use pflugher trions and a team diawa for my flippin/pitching..
my personal taste in spinnerbait rods is a heavy action rod as i fish some tough standing grass and laydowns that require ya to haul the bass out of heavy cover. if this is NOT an issue at your location go with the mh rod. i personally prefure 7 foot sticks with one exception i use a 6 foot spinning rod to skip under docks with..

i am not saying buy the most exspensive reels on the market..but don't buy the cheapest stuff ya can find.. i use fenwick rods almost entirely. quatum energy reels are great for the money pflugher trions are worth the money team diawa's are ALWAYS worth the money.. i think the pflugher are the cheaper of the three running about $70 or so..

zooker
Old 07-17-06, 06:58 PM   #3
Tnbasser
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Tnbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBeery
I recently got hooked again on bass fishin' I fished sporadically in the past with only a spinning reel for all applications. Now I am trying to step up my learning and start fishing tournys. Below is the set-up I am trying to put together:

1 – Spinning rod for drop-shot
1 – Casting Worm rod = Med- heavy
1 – Spinner bait rod = Med-heavy
1 – Crank rod = Med
1 – Pitching/Flipping rod = heavy

Which type of moderately priced reels should I use for each of these rods? I am trying to slowly get a set-up comparable to this and I really have no idea what gear ratio, etc. is best for each application. Which rod/reel would be the best for fishin' jigs?

Here is what I have thus far (Don't Laugh!):

Dropshot - Daiwa D-Shock 3BB spinning with a Daiwa D-Shock 6'6" Medium Spinning Rod.

Casting/Worm Rod - Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5000 Baitcaster with a Shimano FX 6'6" Medium Heavy, Fast action Trigger Rod.

Crank Rod - Shakespeare Axiom Baitcaster 4BB with a Shimano FX 7' Medium, Fast Action Trigger Rod.

Any suggestions(other than burn it all and take up bowling)?
First off welcome back to the greatest sport on earth.

What you have is OK for now. But consider this. Once you start to become a SERIOUS tournament angler, you will need the best equipment you can afford. It is your lifeline when the money matters, and I know from experience, anything less than the best is courting disaster.

As far as gear, the other rods you need, if I were you, i would totally go with CrazyFish Rods. They are great.

As far as reels,I'd go with Pflueger. I haven't found a better reel for any money.
i use a 4.3:1 -5.1:1 for crankbaits, 5.3:1 for worms and jigs, 6.1:1-6.3:1 for everything else.

Remember though. This is what I have found works best for MY style of fishing. you may have a totally different idea about what you want.
Tnbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-06, 10:41 AM   #4
MBeery
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the help. I have been using a buddies Pflueger reels (President, Purist) and have been really impressed. I think I am going to pick one of those up and give it a try. Thanks, I try to read a lot of information about fishin' and don't normally hear to much about the gear ratio/reel speeds.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.