Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-10, 06:39 PM   #1
BassNewbie
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Buying first Baitcaster. Some Questions?

Hey guys,

Well heres the deal. I dont have alot of money right now, but I want to get a baitcaster to learn on. Im fully expecting to buy something better when my work starts approving over-time again.

So for now I think im going to get this : http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...285&hasJS=true

Its cheap, got some pretty good reviews, and I think it will work for me to learn on and beatup before I buy something more expensive.

Now heres the questions.

1. I have a pretty good spinning reel setup already. So since now Ill have a baitcaster as well. What would be a good setup strategy? Should I use the spincaster for mostly finesse plastics, and the baitcaster for cranks/spinners/swimbaits?

2. Looking at size for the baitcaster. Whats the real deal with getting a 6'8'' vs a 7''. I dont have a boat, so im fishing from shore. Would it make that big a difference.

3. I know this is kinda of "forbidden" by some. But im used to spinning reels. So i plan to buy a left-handed baitcaster, and fish it casting with right hand, reeling with left hand. Call me nuts, but it just seem to feel much more natural to me. Any big problems that might come up from doing that?

Thanks for the help gents.
BassNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 07:14 PM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Good choice on combo. I love my Black Max reel. As for answering yoru question...

1. Not a bad idea to use the spinning rod for finesse fishing, but you need to think how you wanna use your baitcaster... a 7" MH rod is great for jig fishing, spinnerbait fishing, and buzzbaits, but may not be so good for cranks, or topwaters with trebles.. If it were me, I would try to get a medium power 7" rod and use mono with some stretch to make up for the fast tip on cranks and such forth. I have used mono my whole life for t-rigs and spinnerbaits and well pretty much everything... nnever had a hook come out after being set properly... so go with a 7' Medium rod with say 12lb mono... and use some 8lb flouro on your spinning rig... just my $.02

2. 7' gives your more casting distance and more leverage to set the hook. Shorter rods give ou better accuracy.. i have been transitioning from 5'6" rods to mostly 7 footers as i buy new gear.

3. I wish to God I had gone with left hand reels when learning baitcasters... but thanks to the law of primacy there is no turning back for me... go left handed now and stick to it... and when they clearance out th eleft hand model reels you will always get good deals.. like teh revo STX's at Tacklewareshouse right now...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 07:49 PM   #3
Jrob78

The versatility of your spinning set up will depend on the rod. If it's a really light powered rod it might need to be used mainly for finesse applications. If it is isn't a ultra-light it should be pretty versatile. Look at the lure and line weight specifications on the rod, use that as a base for deciding what to throw with it.

I've never used a Black Max but they have a good reputation, it has been the first baitcaster of a good many people. My advice would be to buy either the 6'6" MH or the 7' MH. The 7' should give you a little additional casting distance. The MH will cover you for most of the heavier bait applications and the spinning gear will cover you for lighter stuff. Odds are both rods will have fast actions, the spinning rod might be better to use for baits with treble hooks because it will have more give.

I also recommend getting a good line that won't have a ton of memory. I personally like Sufix Elite. It is a really good mono, it isn't expensive and I think it would be ideal for a baitcasting beginner. I would go with 12 lb.

The LH retrieve reel for right handed fishermen topic has been debated several times here over the past few months. In my opinion (not personal experience) a LH reel for RH person is the way to go. If I could start all over again and relearn, I would definitely go that route. You're already used to fishing that way with your spinning reel, plus, it really makes sense to me to keep the rod in your strong hand.

Last edited by Jrob78; 08-27-10 at 08:11 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 08:15 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Other than what Jrob already covered, all I can offer is to spend the most you can on a first baitcaster. It will definitely help you learn easier and enjoy it more.

BB
Old 08-27-10, 09:34 PM   #5
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassNewbie View Post
Hey guys,

Well heres the deal. I dont have alot of money right now, but I want to get a baitcaster to learn on. Im fully expecting to buy something better when my work starts approving over-time again.

1. I have a pretty good spinning reel setup already. So since now Ill have a baitcaster as well. What would be a good setup strategy? Should I use the spincaster for mostly finesse plastics, and the baitcaster for cranks/spinners/swimbaits?

2. Looking at size for the baitcaster. Whats the real deal with getting a 6'8'' vs a 7''. I dont have a boat, so im fishing from shore. Would it make that big a difference.

3. I know this is kinda of "forbidden" by some. But im used to spinning reels. So i plan to buy a left-handed baitcaster, and fish it casting with right hand, reeling with left hand. Call me nuts, but it just seem to feel much more natural to me. Any big problems that might come up from doing that?

First I'd like to say WELCOME to this forum. I have not been a member that long myself, but it is a good place to learn and swap ideas.

Secondly, I think your approach to the tackle selection process is commendable! There is a tremendous quantity of knowledge and experience here and since the advice is all free, it's hard to go wrong by asking as you are doing.

In response to your 3rd question, I can only reiterate the comments and opinions stated above: cranking left handed and casting right handed is the way to go for a RH person. Not sure where the idea of this being "forbidden" came from, but I've been fishing this way for close to 50 yrs and I've never been forbidden so far. It's mainly a matter of personal preference.

Old 08-27-10, 11:00 PM   #6
tharper2202
BassFishin.Com Member

the black max was my first bait caster and i honestly love that reel. for the price, its awesome. i still use it even tho i have a way more expensive abu garcia revo SX. i have my black max on a 6'6 MH rod. i like 6'6 more than my 7'.

i honestly think if i dont pick up a BPS pro qualifer for my next baitcaster, i think i might pick up another black max. thats how much i like it
tharper2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-10, 12:13 AM   #7
Ground Pounder

Welcome to the forum - another "Ground Pounder" in the group is always a good thing!

I'm a baitcaster newb as well, so here's a couple things to add to this list that I've learned through trials and tribulation since I got mine:

1) PRACTICE PLUGS ARE YOUR FRIENDS - put some time in learning how to cast with a couple different weights before taking it out on the water. Nothing's more frustrating than trying to toss that first cast into a sweet spot and backlashing like crazy, only to spend the next 10 minutes untangling the line and taking away from sweet fishing time.

2) HEAVIER LURES ARE EASIER TO LEARN WITH - don't tie on a 3/8 oz lure to start with. Try something much heavier, like a 3/4 oz jig or swimbait. It'll help you get the feel for reel control, and you won't be susceptible to the dreaded wind-blown backlash if a gust hits your little ol' lure.

3) FASTER LURES ARE EASIER TO LEARN WITH - Naturally slower baits, like spinnerbaits, just take longer to fish. Another reason to go with a jig or swimbait - they fish faster, giving you more casts, which leads to more control and quicker learning.

4) Just a personal preference, but... CAST WITH THE SPOOL IN A VERTICAL POSITION - you'll get longer, smoother casts if you hold the reel "sideways" to that the spool is in a vertical position. It's a physics thing, but also a motion thing, because it'll allow more natural wrist action. Your wrist should almost move like your shooting a basketball when you're making an overhand cast this way, instead of trying to pivot against the joint, like it would if you cast with your thumb on top of the reel and the spool riding horizontally. Sounds kooky, but it works.

5) BE SURE TO PRACTICE YOUR PITCHING - it'll help a lot with the thumb control. There's a good video on this site about jig fishing where Kevin shows the proper technique. Once you get the basics down, you can start incorporating that flippin' switch on the Black Max.

Good luck!
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-10, 04:13 AM   #8
islandbass

Now heres the questions.

A MH powered rod is a solid choice for the elusive "all around" rod. I'd leave spincast setups for my guests. Since you use spinning reels, I don't see any reason why you need to use a spincast for anything. If you meant spinning then, it really depends on the power and action of your current spinning rod. Many people utilize their spinning rigs to handle things that their baitcast reels might have trouble casting.

Since you're shorebound like me, I will recommend a 100 or 200 sized baitcast reel. I would also recommend the 7' rod for most cases. As a shore bound angler, there will be times we might need that extra length to get a cast just a few feet further and better line control. These are two things that longer rods can offer. This is however, not set in stone. For example if you are fishing close quarters, then that same 7' rod is going to be a hinderance. So don't forget to weigh your fishing environment before you decide.

DON'T BELIEVE THAT YOU NEED A RH BAITCAST REEL!!!! YOU DO NOT, AND DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID. I was in your shoes and I "gave" into that RH reel deal and did I make a mistake. Choose a casting reel that has the handle on the same side as your spinning reel and I will bet a floating Rapala minnow you will be a happy camper. Whew! You are NOT nuts. It's just that all those "messed" RH people are accustomed to it, because back when they learned they were not many if any LH baitcasters.
(Note: The CAPS were used not to denote anger, but to express a "Woh, Nelly, or STOP! In the name of love..."

Old 08-28-10, 11:03 PM   #9
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

if oyu cast with oyur left and reel with your right, buy a right handed setup. if it is the other way, buy a left handed reel. like islandbass said, get what YOU like to use not what they try to sell you. if oyu are a bank beater. i wouldn't get a rod over 6'6". jsut my opion here ok? i find a 7' footer will get me in the limbs more often and the water, lol.

in my opion, the BEST buy is a garcia silvermax or pro max reel from wally world (got 2 promax's and 1 silvermax myself, love em.). i also have litghing rods form wally world ans the ABU rods also from wally world. no real expensive stuff. i can't afford em. i have 4 OLD garcias too. they "were" expensive back in the day (yeah, i am older than dirt they say, haha). 2 of these i picked up during a yard sale. if you can go to some or an antique store, you'll be surprised at waht you can find there.
Old 08-29-10, 01:58 PM   #10
Backwater Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassNewbie View Post
Hey guys,

So for now I think im going to get this : http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...285&hasJS=true

Its cheap, got some pretty good reviews, and I think it will work for me to learn on and beatup before I buy something more expensive.

Now heres the questions.

1. Your Baitcaster should work with most lures over 1/4oz, and your Spinning set-up for drop-shot, finesse worms, and other 1/4oz and under lures.

2. It'll make a small difference. If you're into long casts, by all means get a 7' rod. They are your best bet. If you're fishing in tighter places go with a 6'6". Go with a MH, so you can have your Spinning reel for light stuff, B/C for heavy.

3. It's not forbidden. Most other people do it your way. I don't though. I'm a righty.
Old 08-30-10, 03:48 AM   #11
BassNewbie
BassFishin.Com Member

Appreciate all the feedback guys.

I went ahead and got the L-handed version of the Black Max Combo, in 7' length, MH action.
BassNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.