Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-12, 01:02 PM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Decided to clean my reel...

This was an E5 that I purchased some time ago. I had never got around to cleaning it, when I received it I gave it a quick once over and noticed on the outside it was filthy. Whoever I purchased it from (can't remember where I picked it up) must have never cleaned it or had it cleaned.

I'm assuming Shimano uses red grease from the factory, there was still a lot of red grease in there and you could see where someone added a little here and there, but that was about it. I had chunks of "stuff" falling out and off of the reel as I was scrubbing it, you could hear the spool "grinding" as you reeled it from stuff being between the spool and reel body.

This was only the second or 3rd time I've had a reel down this far; it is now re-lubed with Cal's grease. Drag washers need to be replaced and bearings are showing a little sign of corrosion on the outside (assuming from neglect). Other than and lot of TLC (spend about 3 hours cleaning, scrubbing and re-lubing) it works like new and it spooled with 12lb flouro! Hopefully I can put it to use tomorrow...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0501.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	504.8 KB
ID:	8268  
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.