Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-08, 04:02 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Hard Water Fishin'

Amazingly, it's almost that time of year. Last year we fished Jan 1st, the earliest I've ice fished for a long time. But with the temps we've had the last two days, we could go out and fish tonight. Yesterday the high was around 10* and the day before, the high for the day was like 27* at like 1 in the morning and it dropped all day, and very quickly. that evening, it was -2 with a -28 windchill. It only got about 25 today, so the ice should still be gettin thicker.

I'm expecting at least 4". How about you guys a bit farther north? any hard water fishin' planned soon?

BB
Old 12-23-08, 05:12 PM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have not been out yet other than to check the ice a few weeks ago before the rain. It was OK if you are brave, but I would rather be safe. It has been cold here for quite a while but most lakes don't have good ice, I don't know why. I talked to BuzzWing and he got a nice 36" pike last week through the ice somewhere down there.
I usually wait until I see other people out on the lake and I have not seen anybody out on my lake yet other than one snowmobile and those guys don't always have much sense.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 06:21 PM   #3
zooker

sorry i done retired from hard water fishing.. my uncle says the freestyle jig on a windlass kicked but last winter.. on da finger lakes..besides i know a website devoted to ice fishing...

here ya go bb..

http://www.iceshanty.com

zooker
Old 12-23-08, 10:18 PM   #4
Wishing2BFishing

No ice fishing for me. I just don't like fishing in the ice cold.

As a side note, some dude fell through the ice last year in the lake that is down the road from my house. The fire department rescued him with the assistance of some local bystanders.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-08, 12:35 AM   #5
Bender

Here's a pretty good video about what to do if you fall through: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysnKtuUTt8k
I just got some of those retractable spikes to carry too. It scares me to think about falling in.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-08, 10:12 AM   #6
Lilmoosecountry

Well it nevor gets thick down here. We fish off the docks at the marinas around here. I'm going to get some colored maggots ordered right now. Crappie & bluegill doin quite nice right now.
Old 12-24-08, 03:36 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

My dad talked to a buddy of his the other day before the 45* weather and the rain and he said Evan's lake up in MI has 5" of ice. They say 3" is good enough if you're not standing around with others. We normally wait till 4"+. We were planning on getting out after Christmas or Christmas day, but I dunno any more.

BB
Old 12-24-08, 10:21 PM   #8
quenston
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Ice fishing sounds like a blast but all the waters down here dont freeze enuff to go out on it so I guess I will stick to the docks unless I get lucky and a wild hair and go up north some day.
quenston is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.