Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-08, 01:29 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Push Button Reels

Hey guys, as many of you know, I've been trying to teach my 9 year old cousin to fish. I gave him an older Zebco Spinning rod/reel. But teaching him how to cast the spinning reel has been pretty challenging, so I decided to find a push button reel for him. I found two, both Zebco 202's at my Grandma's. I put 8lb mono on the one that looked to be in better condition. At first, it casted OK when I tried it, and it got worse from there. When I finally quit messing with it, It'd cast maybe 4 feet. It seems to me to be similar to when braided line digs into a baitcasting spool.

My dad says, those reels only work when they're new, and just barely. He says, forget it and teach him on the spinning reel. But it's been rough going. For one, he can't reach the line on the spinning reel. There are other problems as well, but I won't get into those.

I'm sure at least one person here knows how to fix and Old Zebco 202 to make it cast at least 20ft to get out to where the fish are. If not, any other suggestions? Keep trying with the spinning reel, or maybe get a new push botton reel?

Thanks guys,

BB

Last edited by BigBassin144; 07-27-08 at 08:59 AM.
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 01:53 PM   #2
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i saw a guy on the dock with this problem once. all he did to fix it was just simply dunk it under water a few times and...... good as new
hope this helps
Old 07-26-08, 02:05 PM   #3
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

BB pull the reel part out and look at the line and around the inside of the cone . the same thing happens every now and again to my kids reels and usually it is a line twist or some gunk down in there . good luck
Old 07-26-08, 05:34 PM   #4
MississippiBoy

And if all else fails, they only cost a few bucks at Wal-Mart.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 07:14 PM   #5
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

My little brother got one at a garage sale that has to be over 15 years old. It's a daiwa spincast reel that is pretty heavy duty. It's metal. It's surprisingly smooth and has no problems. Maybe look on ebay for some metal spincast reels.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 09:04 PM   #6
islandbass

I agree on teaching him to use a spinning reel. I taught my daughter how to use a spinning reel at 5 and a casting reel at 6 1/2. I am certain your cousin will get it down really fast.
Old 07-26-08, 10:29 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Joolz, I never thought about the Dawa ones. Also, maybe he could use a an underspin reel

IB, The one thing is he does not have a lot of patience. Neither do I, so I know how hard it can be to learn something with no patience. The last time I tried to show him how to cast, all he wanted to do was catch fish, so I ended up casting for him. Then, the last time we fished we had quite a few people over (4th of July) and THEN he wanted to cast, when I couldn't because of too many people.... I think I'll keep trying with the spinning reel, cause if he really wants to, he'll get the hang of it.

Thanks guys.

BB

Last edited by BigBassin144; 07-26-08 at 10:49 PM.
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 12:28 AM   #8
Tryinhard
BassFishin.Com Member

you might find that the teaching part will come quickly with your back turned, my oldest son had a hard time learning some new things fishing mainly because his short tempered dad was looking over his shoulder and making nervous so one day we split the lake I went my way he went his five minutes later he looked like bill dance, lol If you don't have the patience try giving the kid a pole and a little space worked for us . He was 8 then.
Tryinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 01:07 AM   #9
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

BB- Your idea about the underspin reel is a good one. In fact, and this might cause some folks to cringe, spincast reels have come a long way. Woo Daves uses one pretty often, or at least he used to. There are a whole lot more choices than the Zebco 202 these days. Just maybe three years ago or so I had a couple of the metal Diawas and they worked well even on fat a** river carp. 'Course, the 202 rules when you're a youngin' slingin' for sunnies! Let not your heart be troubled- your cousin will get the hang of it, just like tryinhard wrote. You're doing a good thing helping him out.
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 07:19 AM   #10
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
...so I decided to find a push bUttoN reel for him...
BB
Fixed. Under warranty. No charge.
I pushed a reel's bottom once. It slapped the pewp outta me.

L6
Awfishul Spelchekker
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 10:18 AM   #11
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer6 View Post
I pushed a reel's bottom once. It slapped the pewp outta me.

L6
ditto..

zooker
Old 07-27-08, 10:24 AM   #12
Jim80

BB while teaching him to use a spinning reel would be better in the long run you have to gauge he willingness to learn it. My sons both have spinning reels but preffer the spincast ones because they are harder to tangle and easier for them to cast .
Old 07-27-08, 01:49 PM   #13
Bmuskin

I have one old Zebco 33 I bought with some rods at a auction. Seems to do pretty good. I heard somewhere once the 33's have metal gears and the 202 plastic. Those old funny looking Johnson pushbutton reels used to be really popular but I have not seen one in a long time.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 09:12 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Well today, at Target of all places, while looking for a gift for another cousin of mine, I see a nice shiny Shakespeare Spincast reel on a matching rod. 17.99. Needless to say I got it. It is my cousin's (the one who's learning to fish) birthday in a bout a week also, so I plan on giving it to him as a bday present. (after chanign the line our course. ) I really want him to get the hang of casting, and I think it'll be easier with this reel.

Thanks for your help guys,

BB
Old 07-28-08, 11:35 AM   #15
doc

I used a Rhino spincaster for years before I finally learned how to throw a baitcaster. The Rhinos are tough as hell, cought multiple 5+ bass on it, even 1 8-9 lb hog. It would throw just as far as a baitcaster as long as the lure wasn't toooo light.
(they are also really good for getting into those tight to reach places). I still have the Rhino, it is on a rod so old all the eyes are coming off, would't be afraid to put some new line on it, oil it and go fishing tomorrow.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_100-1-3
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 09:03 PM   #16
mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I used a Rhino spincaster for years before I finally learned how to throw a baitcaster. The Rhinos are tough as hell, cought multiple 5+ bass on it, even 1 8-9 lb hog. It would throw just as far as a baitcaster as long as the lure wasn't toooo light.
(they are also really good for getting into those tight to reach places). I still have the Rhino, it is on a rod so old all the eyes are coming off, would't be afraid to put some new line on it, oil it and go fishing tomorrow.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_100-1-3

i had one of those when i was little that thing really was tough
Old 07-28-08, 11:00 PM   #17
bamabassman

got a WHOLE BUNCH of 33's here. fix em uand give em to kids who ain't got em a rod and reel.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 03:59 PM   #18
lowrider

doc was dangerous accurate with that old rhino, as far as a push button goes i'd put it against any zebco. what bmuskin said is right too. plastic gears in the new ones make them not at all kid-proof like the oldies we had growing up.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 10:06 PM   #19
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
ditto..

zooker
Yeah, but he went back and corrected his own spelling, thus ruining our lil' joke. The nerve of some pipple!...

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 06:26 PM   #20
zooker

very tue lancer. dat tok nerv

zooker
Old 07-31-08, 09:19 AM   #21
Snake2715

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
doc was dangerous accurate with that old rhino, as far as a push button goes i'd put it against any zebco. what bmuskin said is right too. plastic gears in the new ones make them not at all kid-proof like the oldies we had growing up.
I think Rhino's and Zebco are the same now... actually hte old Zebco 33's are the new Rhinos if I am not mistaken. The new 33's dont seem to be of the same quality, but the rhinos are similar in looks.. There is the 33 classic (which costs more and is a bit more solid).

I use a Zebco Z03 while on my small boat. I have a baitcaster but am not completely up to par on it. The Z03 is 6 ball bearings, ceramic line guides (3 of em), and all aluminum. I have Power Por on the thing and have reeled in some decent fish... it has changable spools and all that jazz. The typical line stack issue doesnt exist as the spool actually moves in and out while reeling, so you get a nice even placement of line.

I have a few 33's laying around as well... ones at the bottom of a lake as of yesterday actually, thats another story, but my friend only uses his rhino and loves the thing. He can launch the cast as well, I have been surprised a lot by it.
Old 07-31-08, 11:30 AM   #22
Abbeysdad

I know most folks are likely using open faced spinning or bait casting rigs, but there's a lot to be said for the closed faced Zebco like reels. Abbey's 10 years old and casts this thing repeatedly with very few issues - wife has the same WM model..(unsure of branding). Only issue one time was with a line wrap down under that I had to straighten out - otherwise, great performance, effortless casting - really nice rigs.
Could they learn to deal with open face? Probably, but why - when they're happy and doing really well with what they have.

So I'd take the reel apart and figure out why it hangs or like somebody said, goto WM and replace it - Amazingly nice rods/reels for under $20!
(disclaimer: I know there are some that would snub a $20 combo, but I bought a Shakespear Tiger rod/reel this year for under $20, and I'm really happy with it! If/when the bait monkey is on yer back and you don't have green to burn, take him to WM <hehe>)
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 12:01 PM   #23
Stinkies Daddy

This is my daughter catching a green carp! she caught this fish while being next to the duracel boat at FLW on beaver lake (those guys were pretty mad). she is only 5 soon to be 6 and you will notice that she is using a spinning outfit, she casts, flips the bail manually (she knows this avoids line twist), sets the hook and lands the fish all by herself. Sure i have to get it out of the trees every once awhile but thats part of the game

Katchin Katie the PanFish Princess

Old 07-31-08, 12:20 PM   #24
Abbeysdad

c'mon dad, that can't be stinkie?
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 01:14 PM   #25
Stinkies Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
c'mon dad, that can't be stinkie?
sure is or was shall we say. some guys on another site made me change her name to Katchin Katie the PanFish Princess

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.